Avios availability April 2020 to Japan

Old Dec 16, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Avios availability April 2020 to Japan

Hello
I have flights to Korea (ICN) on Avios however ideally my return sector would be from Japan as I will have an overnight stay in ICN on the return. Flights are mid- April (yes, Easter & Cherry Blossom!).

Iíve registered with expertflyer to set up flight notifications (thanks to the tips here). I know this is a bit of a finger in the air, however what do people think of the last minute chance of availability (any class) from KIX/NRT/HND? Is it a complete impossibility, or even during busy periods can last minute seats open up?

I would be able to change my arrangements 48 hours out so pretty flexible.

Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Are you looking for Avios from Japan back to London or to ICN only?

Whilst last minute availability may well come up it is easter ( are you flexible in cabin class?)

I would also look at cheap fares to ICN ( Cash)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Sorry, I could have been clearer.

Weíve managed to book LHR-ICN return with avios.
We then travel Seoul to Tokyo. Ideally we would return to LHR direct from Japan but understandably no availability so we are flying back to Seoul before picking up the BA service back. However an overnight stay at ICN is necessary and would prefer to avoid given the choice.

Last edited by Voda_boy; Dec 17, 19 at 1:16 am
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
There tends to be plenty of availability from japan to Korea, although the avios website can be buggy with JAL availability. If you can’t get a flight to ICN you will probably find availability for GMP which is only a train ride away from ICN. Korea japan relations are not so good right now. my last flight to GMP was half empty.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:32 am

Almost no chance Iím afraid. This is the absolute peak tourist season in Japan at a period when itís profile as a tourist destination has never been higher. I doubt there will have been more than the minimum 2J 4Y tickets released for Avios. There is always a chance that seats can be released last minute if loads are low but this tends to be business focused routes where demand/loads can fluctuate as plans change. The vast majority of passengers on these flights will be tourists so chance of changes to travel plans are far lower.
Old Dec 17, 19, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Over Christmas and new year the best route for Business availability was Finnair to HEL. Just FYI.
Old Dec 17, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Red, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mda03jb View Post
Almost no chance Iím afraid. This is the absolute peak tourist season in Japan at a period when itís profile as a tourist destination has never been higher. I doubt there will have been more than the minimum 2J 4Y tickets released for Avios. There is always a chance that seats can be released last minute if loads are low but this tends to be business focused routes where demand/loads can fluctuate as plans change. The vast majority of passengers on these flights will be tourists so chance of changes to travel plans are far lower.
I will offer a contrary tale - we managed to bag 4 J reward seats HND-PEK for April 2020, booked only a couple of weeks ago. These were critical to link in with other flights to Japan/China.

So the OP may be lucky (especially as if you add the option of travelling in Y as those reward tickets are released only 60 days ahead).
Old Dec 17, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Voda_boy View Post
Hi. Sorry, I could have been clearer.

Weíve managed to book LHR-ICN return with avios.
We then travel Seoul to Tokyo. Ideally we would return to LHR direct from Japan but understandably no availability so we are flying back to Seoul before picking up the BA service back. However an overnight stay at ICN is necessary and would prefer to avoid given the choice.
I must have harassed the BA call centre daily until a F redemption from Haneda opened up for April/May 2020. Keep trying and hopefully you'll find something
Old Dec 17, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's always possible that somebody booked Japan a year in advance and then finds that they can't make it and cancels. The award seats may or may not pop back up.

Seoul is also a nice place to spend a couple of days though. Worst case scenario is you fly there a couple of days early and enjoy a 2-country holiday.
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel View Post
I will offer a contrary tale - we managed to bag 4 J reward seats HND-PEK for April 2020, booked only a couple of weeks ago. These were critical to link in with other flights to Japan/China.

So the OP may be lucky (especially as if you add the option of travelling in Y as those reward tickets are released only 60 days ahead).
Are you saying that JAL releases Economy availability only 60 days in advance? I need a one way from Seoul to Tokyo towards the end of March (to link a 241 open jaw) and I was seeing some avios availability a couple of weeks ago (including in Economy) but stupidly I didn't book them and now I only see a couple of Business seats. Would waiting until mid/late January help?
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Are you saying that JAL releases Economy availability only 60 days in advance? I need a one way from Seoul to Tokyo towards the end of March (to link a 241 open jaw) and I was seeing some avios availability a couple of weeks ago (including in Economy) but stupidly I didn't book them and now I only see a couple of Business seats. Would waiting until mid/late January help?
The restriction only used to relate to domestic travel, so shouldn't be relevant to Seoul to Tokyo.

Added to that the domestic restriction has been removed recently so it shouldn't be an issue even if you were looking at domestic JL flights.
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The restriction only used to relate to domestic travel, so shouldn't be relevant to Seoul to Tokyo.

Added to that the domestic restriction has been removed recently so it shouldn't be an issue even if you were looking at domestic JL flights.
Argh, seems like I blew it then. Thanks for the info. I think in that case I'll be giving one of the LCCs a try, how bad could it be on a 2-hour flight...
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel View Post

Yes, but weíre talking flights from Japan to UK, a completely different set of circumstances (more demand, less supply) than Japan to China! I also assume the OP has no desire to spend 13 hours sat in a Y seat!
Old Dec 17, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Argh, seems like I blew it then. Thanks for the info. I think in that case I'll be giving one of the LCCs a try, how bad could it be on a 2-hour flight...
The service is not bad but Japanese LCCs are known for cancelling and being unreachable and not giving refunds! Not sure how common it is, but I think if youíre going to pay then itís best to use one of the bigger companies.
Old Dec 18, 19, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by geerat View Post
The service is not bad but Japanese LCCs are known for cancelling and being unreachable and not giving refunds! Not sure how common it is, but I think if youíre going to pay then itís best to use one of the bigger companies.
We're veering a bit OT, but I ended up booking an Air Seoul flight. Couldn't find all that much info about what to expect, but the little that I did seemed rather positive, plus they're owned by Asiana.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: