Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Business Class - 747 upper deck or new 350?

Old Dec 16, 19, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA CP, HH DIAMOND

I'm flying LHR>IAD next May on BA. Currently scheduled to take the 747 flight earlier in the day and have seats reserved 1st row upper deck of business... Probably my last flight experience on a 747.... But now wondering if I should switch to the later flight LHR>IAD on the new 350. Hoping to receive thoughts/suggestions.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I like the A350. I like the new Club World Suite, and thereís much to like. However, my affection for the 747 upper deck is so strongly held, Iíll continue to choose it ahead of any other aircraft, especially on a shortish daytime journey across the Atlantic. The cabin ambience is unmatched in my opinion.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Gold
I was having this exact dilemma but the CWS is going to be around long after the UD of the B747 so decided to stay put. Now desperately hoping for no aircraft change.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd go with the 747 while it is still available. I love the UD experience. Mind you, I haven't yet tried the CWS so I can't really compare directly... that will have to wait until early Janruary when I do a LHR-YYZ on the A350... I'll let you know what I think
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also go for the Upper Deck 744 experience ( there will be plenty of time to enjoy the A350/ Club suites)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For us, the 217/216 schedule is more significant. I want to get to IAD, then drive round the Beltway to Alexandria, in daylight. Same with coming back to UK - leave IAD in the afternoon, please. we've been doing this run for over a decade, and we know what works for us. For business pax with other considerations the A350 schedule may have appeal.

And we like the 744 UD ... although in July we will be indulging in 1A/K for a change. [/DYKWIA]
wrp96, stewaran, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Take the A350. Most if not all the 747's are old, tired, filthy, have no Wifi and poor IFE. The new Club Suite is by all not perfect and nor rated in the worlds top J product listings or even award winning, it is certainly a far superior experience.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Most if not all the 747's are old, tired, filthy, have no Wifi and poor IFE.
Far from it. IAD is a 86J route, so expect refreshed cabins and the latest tech wizardry
flygirl68, T8191, golfmad and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Take the A350. Most if not all the 747's are old, tired, filthy, have no Wifi and poor IFE. The new Club Suite is by all not perfect and nor rated in the worlds top J product listings or even award winning, it is certainly a far superior experience.
haven’t most of the 747s been refurbished now? All the super Js have been and have new IFE (I think the Panasonic IFE is best across the BA fleet) and the refurbishment of the mid Js is ongoing. quite a few of them have wifi now too.

I think I’d still take a 747 UD rather than an A350.

EDIT: just checked now. 32 remaining 747s. 17 super J so all those are refurbished. Apparently the plan was to also do the 15 mid Js by the end of this year - many have been and I don’t know exactly how many remain to be done.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our last 744 legs to/from IAD in September were fully upgraded, IIRC. -CIVH and BYGF, according to my FR24 diary.

UK to Virginia again, BA in Business of course!
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Far from it. IAD is a 86J route, so expect refreshed cabins and the latest tech wizardry
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
havenít most of the 747s been refurbished now? All the super Js have been and have new IFE (I think the Panasonic IFE is best across the BA fleet) and the refurbishment of the mid Js is ongoing. quite a few of them have wifi now too.

I think Iíd still take a 747 UD rather than an A350.

EDIT: just checked now. 32 remaining 747s. 17 super J so all those are refurbished. Apparently the plan was to also do the 15 mid Js by the end of this year - many have been and I donít know exactly how many remain to be done.
Boys, this is true but t is better to be safe than sorry, otherwise we have a higher chance of getting another emotive thread of a poor experience and how BA fell short and never responded well to the complaint as it was 'cut and paste' etc etc...
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
EDIT: just checked now. 32 remaining 747s. 17 super J so all those are refurbished. Apparently the plan was to also do the 15 mid Js by the end of this year - many have been and I don’t know exactly how many remain to be done.
Only Victor Bravo is left unrefurbished, she is plodding between Cape Town and Heathrow at the moment but she is due in to Cardiff any day now. At which all the fleet will be refurbished, all but 6 will have new IFE and all but the mid Js will have wifi.

I am familiar with both sets of aircraft, in Club I would be happy with either, but given the choice, I too would go UD 747 based on my experiences, and without hesitation.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:16 pm

WOW I am simply stunned at the responses here! For years now we have all criticized the airline of not releasing a new product, now they have YOU would still opt for the old refurb!!! WEIRD.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:22 pm

WOW I am simply stunned at the responses here! For years now we have all criticized the airline of not releasing a new product, now they have YOU would still opt for the old refurb!!! WEIRD.
Its not really all that strange. jeffro1975 has an upper deck window seat which offers plenty of secure storage accessible from the comfort of his/her seat. Thereís the opportunity to be bathed in natural daylight plus a crew to passenger ratio of not greater than 1:10.
Grande Annee and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
ARN syndrom I guess

Nostalgia plays a part in some of the answers here of course.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: