Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Class Just opened to me at no cost? Is this real?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Just opened to me at no cost? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I see what you mean, but I think they have overbooked World Traveller and so they will be rolling some people forward.. But I agree that doesn't seem to fill CW. In the past I would be urging you to consider going back to a decent seat in CW in case you get moved back, however there have been 2 very recent Flub experiences reported here, including to my colleague @orbitmic, where it manifested itself in a similar way to you, they completed OLCI and it did in the end stick. So please let us know what happens to you. Given the other 2 experiences I would stick with 1K, on balance. The half way house is to OLCI but not print/app your boarding pass, and keep an eye on the situation. If you don't print/app your boarding pass you can continue to move seats if you are thrown out of 1K.
I’d recommend the op looks up the relevant referenced FLUB threads. I think my experience was indeed interesting because my assignment stuck BUT also because that of at least two other people who had assigned the same, it did not and they were very unhappy.

In other words quite a complex/uncertain process still!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85
I can assure you that if I ever moved to a FLUB seat and was downgraded to a sub-optimal J seat, I would be promptly telling the agents that either they moved me back to F or they can refund my ticket (I’m the type who normally buys full J fares). BA needs to make this practice one way. Once people give up a good seat for a better seat, there should be no going back.
You would be telling that and I can equally assure you that you would be wasting your breath. Neither would happen (unless indeed your fare rules permit in which case you can indeed ask for a cancellation and refund but that would be entirely unrelated to seat changes) nor for that matter should it.

The idea that being able to select a seat in a different cabin would somehow oblige an airline to let you keep it or else is unfortunately fanciful.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 14, 2019 at 6:42 pm
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I can assure you that if I ever moved to a FLUB seat and was downgraded to a sub-optimal J seat, I would be promptly telling the agents that either they moved me back to F or they can refund my ticket (I’m the type who normally buys full J fares). BA needs to make this practice one way. Once people give up a good seat for a better seat, there should be no going back.
Alright big man... This post has made me laugh. I paid for CW, please refund me for making me sit in CW
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:46 pm

Then BA would refund your ticket. If the F cabin is not required, then there is no crew onboard to service it.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Alright big man... This post has made me laugh. I paid for CW, please refund me for making me sit in CW
BA (besides the CS) has a crap J product. I will generally only book it if a seat to my semi-liking is available. If I move out of such a seat because they offer F seats on the selection map, I expect that or my original seat. If they put me in something worse, then I’ll happily take my money elsewhere. As someone who buys refundable tickets, this is entirely doable.
lhrsfo likes this.

Last edited by PGFlyer85; Dec 15, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If they put me in something worse, then I’ll happily take my money elsewhere. As someone who buys refundable tickets, this is entirely doable.
Have you tried the new Club Suites yet?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:20 am
Suspended

Have you tried the new Club Suites yet?
No but I trust I will like it given that I do like other reverse herringbone products. So still remains to be seen if they can get the soft product efficient in the big cabin of the 77W. But posted edited
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rapidex
Then BA would refund your ticket. If the F cabin is not required, then there is no crew onboard to service it.
my understanding is that extra crew are not loaded for FLUB
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:34 am

Deleted, wrong thread.]

Last edited by Ldnn1; Dec 15, 2019 at 12:47 am
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:48 am

my understanding is that extra crew are not loaded for FLUB
The onboard crew are directed to work other areas.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:20 am

BA (besides the CS) has a crap J product. I will generally only book it if a seat to my semi-liking is available. If I move out of such a seat because they offer F seats on the selection map, I expect that or my original seat. If they put me in something worse, then I’ll happily take my money elsewhere. As someone who buys refundable tickets, this is entirely doable.
Again, if your ticket is refundable, then you can refund of course, but the rest of the scenario remains a non-starter and your expectation unfortunately misplaced. BA (and for that matter all other airlines that I know) never guarantee a seat. Whether any of us agrees with it or not, they consider that a J seat is a J seat and that as long as that is what you paid for and got, the deal is respected. I have had countless seat changes with BA (broken seat, etc) and never got compensation for it, including when it was really unpleasant (eg window exit to middle seat somewhere). They also won't upgrade you as long as another seat is available in your cabin.

Note that this is when the problem stems from their seat. By contrast, an upgraded seat is never a given, so the moment you choose to select one, you run a risk (regardless of whether it is FLUB or not) not to be honoured. That again is not BA specific (even FLUB isn't, I have had equivalents on AA, LH, KE, CX, and AF to mention but a few), so that taking a seat in the F section when you have a J ticket is, by nature, a risk.

Since you are making the decision to take that risk, why should the cost of that risk be borne by BA? The hope of returning to the seat that you yourself chose to vacate is obviously unrealistic as someone else will have likely taken it, so unless they have an actual reason to keep you in your upgraded seat, they will just freely move you generating no right for you in the process. If you do not want to take that risk, then my recommendation would be that you avoid selecting FLUB seats until you arrive at the airport when you can ask check in agents for a confirmation that you can get one and will keep it.

Now of course, if you had the right to cancel anyway, you can always do it, and whether it is because you selected a FLUB seat and were moved from it, or because there is a letter you just don't like in the plane's registration number or - as primarily considered by most people who buy fully flexible tickets - your plans have changed for reasons entirely unrelated to BA is nobody's business but yours so you can certainly do it for any and every reason that makes sense to you.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Yes, I see what you mean, but I think they have overbooked World Traveller and so they will be rolling some people forward.. But I agree that doesn't seem to fill CW. In the past I would be urging you to consider going back to a decent seat in CW in case you get moved back, however there have been 2 very recent Flub experiences reported here, including to my colleague @orbitmic, where it manifested itself in a similar way to you, they completed OLCI and it did in the end stick. So please let us know what happens to you. Given the other 2 experiences I would stick with 1K, on balance. The half way house is to OLCI but not print/app your boarding pass, and keep an eye on the situation. If you don't print/app your boarding pass you can continue to move seats if you are thrown out of 1K.
CWS, clearly I am still learning how to read the loads - please let me know how you have worked out that it is oversold in WT? I read it as between 3 and 5 seats still physically available in WT.

J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y7 B5 H3 K3 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G4
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
CWS, clearly I am still learning how to read the loads - please let me know how you have worked out that it is oversold in WT? I read it as between 3 and 5 seats still physically available in WT.

J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y7 B5 H3 K3 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G4
And I read it as 3 to 5 seats physically on the aircraft. Then if I look at the other numbers (e.g. the H bucket) and the late 787-8 to 787-9 switch - which has a reduction in WT seating to the tune of 27 passengers (a near 20% reduction), combined that with my hunch on how these things typically work on USA services, plus BNA as a destination, I came to the conclusion that WT was oversold, despite these EF numbers. E2 can be oversold in WTP too, so E0 makes me think that will fill up nicely too, My actual guess is that there will be 4 spare seats in WT and WTP but only after have rolled quite a lot of people forward.

Having said that, I think it is possible, to put it delicately, that @Boeing77W had hard evidence to back up his/her post, whereas I was just guessing, but as it turns out I suspect my guess is/was correct in the round, though perhaps not on the specifics.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

*UPDATE* Woke up this morning to an early present from Krampus. It looks like my seat has been automatically bumped back to CW (at least they put me in 7K). I imagine the person who INITIALLY had 7K reserved is none to happy, as it appears he/she tried to move up to F cabin as well, only to be unceremoniously assigned back to a random CW seat. Ah well, an attempt was made and perhaps I will politely bring up the issue at check in and see what happens. At any rate, thanks for the crash course in FLUBs and what not everyone. I plan to make a thread later today detailing my Club World experience, Admirals Lounge, terminal, etc. Take care all!

Last edited by Stuckintheback; Dec 15, 2019 at 5:47 am
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:39 am

F cabin is blocked and with the flight still at J9 I'd say it's highly likely to stay that way! Safe trip!
Stuckintheback likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.