Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Class Just opened to me at no cost? Is this real?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Just opened to me at no cost? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

I can assure you that if I ever moved to a FLUB seat and was downgraded to a sub-optimal J seat, I would be promptly telling the agents that either they moved me back to F or they can refund my ticket (I’m the type who normally buys full J fares). BA needs to make this practice one way. Once people give up a good seat for a better seat, there should be no going back.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stuckintheback
Ok I will definitely keep updates going. Im sorry to do a follow up but if they DO end up moving me will it reflect on the website throughout the night? Also, at one point can I consider myself "safe" in the seat? Airport checkin? Or physically sitting down in the seat?
You won't be moved after you have sat down, otherwise you are fair game. If you're not keen on that idea then just choose another CW seat now and be done with it. But yes you can keep watching with via Manage My Booking and that was why I suggested OLCI but not printing or downloading the app boarding pass, since you can monitor and react to any changes.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Ok I will definitely keep updates going. Im sorry to do a follow up but if they DO end up moving me will it reflect on the website throughout the night? Also, at one point can I consider myself "safe" in the seat? Airport checkin? Or physically sitting down in the seat?
Will pretty much be as you sit in your seat I’m afraid. Although you’re probably safe after you’ve been processed at the gate (hope for a single beep and no boarding passes being ripped up and reprinted!).

good luck!!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Wow you guys actually have me a bit nervous. So there are three possibilities at this point. 1.) I keep my F seat and smile all the way to LHR. 2.) I get pushed back to a CW seat where I was originally at. 3.) I get pushed back to premium eco or economy? Like, thats a bit unsettling.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if the flight is so busy down the back that they are upgrading people then you are highly unlikely to be moved back there.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I’d say there’s zero chance of them deciding not to use the F cabin while also downgrading you into WTP; the whole rationale of using the otherwise empty F cabin is to avoid downgrades in that situation.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Wow you guys actually have me a bit nervous. So there are three possibilities at this point. 1.) I keep my F seat and smile all the way to LHR. 2.) I get pushed back to a CW seat where I was originally at. 3.) I get pushed back to premium eco or economy? Like, thats a bit unsettling.
It's between 1 and 2. As explained in my earlier reply in post 13, it's due to people being rolled forward, not rolled back. And if you don't like that uncertainty you can just go for 2 now.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Looking at the loads for BNA-LHR departing tomorrow, 15 December, the flight appears to be oversold in World Traveller. There’s enough room in the remaining cabins to absorb the oversell without the need to use F. Afraid to say that it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll have a seat change back to CW by the time you reach the gate.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
Looking at the loads for BNA-LHR departing tomorrow, 15 December, the flight appears to be oversold in World Traveller. There’s enough room in the remaining cabins to absorb the oversell without the need to use F. Afraid to say that it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll have a seat change back to CW by the time you reach the gate.
Ah ok. That is quite a let down. Thank you for looking. Perhaps I shall remain hopeful.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Perhaps I shall remain hopeful.
Exactly, anything could happen between now and then
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Ah ok. That is quite a let down. Thank you for looking. Perhaps I shall remain hopeful.
Yeah. Keep hopeful but with no expectations to try and limit any disappointment. Things can and do change.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
Exactly, anything could happen between now and then
Im gonna ride the wave and see where it takes me? Worse case is I get bumped back to CW and lose my previous seat I selected. I am not too connected to a particular seat anywho. It does appear that CW seats on this flight are starting to fill up now.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Well I did just give the BA toll free number a call. I understand that this is most likely an outsourced company with not too much knowledge on airline operations, but he instructed me that he does not believe my seat will be changed. He also said that all the seats are coded for Business class and there is no first class (He did say that he knows that they are first class seats, but they are not first class tickets). I think I understand this because I have flown this particularly route QUITE a few times and it has ALWAYS been a 788 with no first class cabin. For whatever reason, they have a 789 flying out tomorrow and have coded all the seats as business class. Any who, maybe this is just my lucky day. Then again, maybe it wont be lol. Thanks for all the insight guys.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Some
Well I did just give the BA toll free number a call. I understand that this is most likely an outsourced company with not too much knowledge on airline operations, but he instructed me that he does not believe my seat will be changed. He also said that all the seats are coded for Business class and there is no first class (He did say that he knows that they are first class seats, but they are not first class tickets). I think I understand this because I have flown this particularly route QUITE a few times and it has ALWAYS been a 788 with no first class cabin. For whatever reason, they have a 789 flying out tomorrow and have coded all the seats as business class. Any who, maybe this is just my lucky day. Then again, maybe it wont be lol. Thanks for all the insight guys.
Frankly, there are posters here that know far more about BA operations than the average BA call centre operative

BA have slightly more 789s than they need for current scheduled operations, hence why every now and then a route which is scheduled to be a 788 (no F) gets a 789 (with F) instead. As others have said, the general rule is that the F cabin is only opened up if BA have decided to sell more J tickets than seats in the J cabin, otherwise they either don't open the cabin up at all or do open it up but then end up kicking everyone back out into J at some point whilst the flight is under airport control.

You may well get lucky and end up staying there, but the most likely outcome is you won't if it's a lightly loaded flight. If you don't care about which J seat you end up in then of course you have nothing to lose by selecting an F seat now so might as well try your luck. Sounds like you have the right attitude either way!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
OP, I would remove any thoughts / hopes of F, there are no F tickets sold on this route and therefore no First cabin. You have a CW ticket and will travel in CW. There is the possibility you will be lucky and have a better seat (the F seat), but as mentioned up-thread this will be load dependant. Don’t set yourself up to expect something that may not occur.

Have a great flight! 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.