FF Tier Points

Old Dec 13, 19, 1:09 am
Original Poster

FF Tier Points

Hi there, hoping someone can help.

Im booked with QATAR crediting to FF points and im flying DUR>JNB>DOH>EDI

The JNB to EDI part is with Qatar but the first leg is with South African Airways

I appreciate SA are not part of oneworld but does the fact i booked it on a Qatar fare mean i will get the Tier points for that leg as if i flew a Qatar/BA flight ?

Or am i onto plums ?
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Nothing. Even if this was under a QR code, it is with an non-oneworld alliance and so does not earn.
dolfinco and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
As madfish states, no earnings on BA. You can credit to QR Privilege Club or to a Star Alliance programme though to not lose out completely.
tynmar likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is DUR-JNB [SA operated] a QR or SA flight number ?
Anyway it is a short flight
https://www.wheretocredit.com/south-african-airways
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:59 am

Plums it is.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
For such a short flight I wouldn't mess about trying to claim to another FF programme. Better to let it go and make sure that the JNB-DOH-EDI legs end up where you want them to be.
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
How did they manage to book DUR-JNB on something other than Comair for a QR itinerary?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
How did they manage to book DUR-JNB on something other than Comair for a QR itinerary?
Nothing stops QR having a code share with SA on local feeders. Not uncommon.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
Nothing stops QR having a code share with SA on local feeders. Not uncommon.
As far as I know QR and SAA don't code share, but aside from that dolfinco misses out on a handful of TPs/Avios and also the use of the SLOW Lounge at DUR. Not a great outcome when they have a local partner.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:57 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
As far as I know QR and SAA don't code share, but aside from that dolfinco misses out on a handful of TPs/Avios and also the use of the SLOW Lounge at DUR. Not a great outcome when they have a local partner.
No they dont code share however OP doesnt indicate date of travel nor indeed time so may be over a busy period, especially in a J seat which would restrict availability even more to make a connection?. DUR isnt a busy airport, Ive just rocked up many a time and not bothered with the lounge, the QR offering more than makes up for it in JNB.
As to the TP / Avios, its such a small amount unless I was desperate I wouldnt bother.
YMMV

Last edited by Beano HK; Dec 13, 19 at 10:58 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Just an update to this with a further question. The date is 24th December incidentally so not sure if that matters and the reason i need it is that, ive just fell into my new year and lost silver so ive bagged 560 points with my 4 long hauls and the extra 40 would have landed me straight back to silver.

Anyway, i can change my connecting flight to the BA one an hour later for £90 but its operated by Kulula and Qatar have said as its a codeshare, i wouldnt get the points ?

Is this right also ?

Seems mental that i can book a oneworld business ticket with a BA element and not get any points from it at all.
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: QF WP
The operated by kulula thing is an old problem- they are both operated by comair, if it has a BA number it is not Kulula, if it is the other number (MN or something I think) it is kulula and won’t earn TP/avios. Kulula doesn’t have a business class cabin so if you’re booked in business “operated by kulula” it’s in fact operated by Comair but a BA flight

(yes, confusing)

see:
Comair confusion
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by dolfinco View Post
Just an update to this with a further question. The date is 24th December incidentally so not sure if that matters and the reason i need it is that, ive just fell into my new year and lost silver so ive bagged 560 points with my 4 long hauls and the extra 40 would have landed me straight back to silver.

Anyway, i can change my connecting flight to the BA one an hour later for £90 but its operated by Kulula and Qatar have said as its a codeshare, i wouldnt get the points ?

Is this right also ?

Seems mental that i can book a oneworld business ticket with a BA element and not get any points from it at all.
You will still need your 4 eligible flights to reach silver. The qr flights will give you 560 tier points but not the 4 eligible. Changing to a Comair flight would certainly get you 1 of those 4, but I'm not sure about Kalula.
Old Dec 15, 19, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
You will still need your 4 eligible flights to reach silver. The qr flights will give you 560 tier points but not the 4 eligible. Changing to a Comair flight would certainly get you 1 of those 4, but I'm not sure about Kalula.
So ive just noticed i can buy this for £140. Should i get the full 40 points for this and i can just patch the last Qatar leg ?

Can you explain the 4 flights issue....ie as in why the 4 flights have made dont count. -Its ok i now see they have to be 4 BA flights or operated by BA....is that correct ?
Attached Images  
Old Dec 15, 19, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Just looked at QR site and according to this, i can get in the last leg "operated by BA"

Dont know why they told me anything different. But not withstanding that, im now thinking its not worth it as the 4 flight rule wont count. Id be better taking 2 x cheap 10 point returns DUR>JNB to get my 4.

Is that correct ?
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Search Engine: