Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What has the BA forum done to my husband?! :D

Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)

Over the years we've benefited from the collected wisdom of the board, with me retaining Silver and MrZ gaining his Gold card for the first time this year.

We've just returned from our first Amex 2for1 trip, which also gave us our first experience of First. GLA-LHR-ATL return - It was fab!

So we're home barely 48 hours and I overheard MrZ say to our daughter 'We need to book another trip' When she asked where he wanted to go, his answer was 'Somewhere stupid, with a convoluted route'... Guess he's caught the bug!

Seriously, we'd never have enjoyed half of the experiences we've had without what we've learned here, so thank you all! Now, suggestions for the next TP run are always welcome!
KARFA, Hydebear, PETER01 and 40 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Nice to hear of folks enjoying their travels and your 1st First.

I'm watching out for a new member joining here soon called Zafiraman.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
Over the years we've benefited from the collected wisdom of the board, with me retaining Silver and MrZ gaining his Gold card for the first time this year.

We've just returned from our first Amex 2for1 trip, which also gave us our first experience of First. GLA-LHR-ATL return - It was fab!

So we're home barely 48 hours and I overheard MrZ say to our daughter 'We need to book another trip' When she asked where he wanted to go, his answer was 'Somewhere stupid, with a convoluted route'... Guess he's caught the bug!

)
Lovely post. When I came to FlyerTalk my husband groaned. I have learned tons from the Boys and Girls here. They have forgotten more than most know. Still, it is Folie at its maddest level. I actually flew to Inverness and back in order to save squillions of pennies. My husband cannot believe that fares can be cheaper in other cities and towns in Europe that come through London, and yet are cheaper. Anyhow mine does what he’s told and pays the bills. Husbands, as you know, should be functional or decorative or sent to Recycling (I’ll have Daniel Craig please)
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Husbands, as you know, should be functional or decorative or sent to Recycling (I’ll have Daniel Craig please)
… I just snorted coffee over my laptop! LOL
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Doing my best to function normally. Great comments PUCCI GALORE and I echo zafiragirl ’s comments regarding the site!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Mr TL generally does as he’s told in terms of the travel. He resisted ex-EU’s whilst we had squillions of air miles but he’s seen the light now. The kids are even worse, they have the J/F bug big time.
Kamalaasaa and mhy like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Mr TL generally does as he’s told in terms of the travel. He resisted ex-EU’s whilst we had squillions of air miles but he’s seen the light now. The kids are even worse, they have the J/F bug big time.
I concur with Zafiragirl. I got to HNL back in 2016 from DUB for Ł946:00 J & F. BKK for Ł1300 return in J inc Q suites (amazing), Cape town for Ł1450:00 return in J. I could go on but you get the idea. Also, got me to Gold. HNL was high on my bucket list so as much as I would have got there it would not have been in the style I could only ever have dreamed off.

I've done a few other trips based on the collective knowledge of FT'ers and will continue to do so in the future. Kudos to all of them.

ML
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, the curse/joy of Flyertalk! I have no idea how much this Forum has cost us over the years since we joined in 2010, but I do know very well that it has taken us to places, and given us experiences, that we would never have considered in our wildest dreams! Oh, and not forgetting achieving BAEC Gold, in 2015, and retaining it!

2015 - our first [of 3] trips to Hawaii *
2015 - our first [but so far only] First on a 2-4-1 to St Lucia
2016 - our first [of 4] trips to South Africa *

* These trips achieved following some friendly 'nagging' on BAFT.

I therefore fully endorse zafiragirl's post! ^

Last edited by T8191; Dec 13, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The kids are even worse, they have the J/F bug big time.
Mine too! My boy even turned his nose up when we only flew business to MIA! What the hell have I created.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Very little to add, except my appreciation of such a joyous original post. It is, as has been sagely noted, an oddly addictive 'hobby'

I've gone from a skeptical MrsBertieB being unconvinced about me doing a flight to keep my Silver (and her lounge access!) to her being a GCH in her own right.

More power to your elbow (or gearbox, clutch etc ) zafarigirl!
zafiragirl likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Yet another "nothing to add" but as another 'me too' turning into an 'us too'., I'm grateful to all for all the advice and opportunities to see the world..

It really is the gift that keeps giving. 2020 will see us being able to take Mrs S mother and father on a trip of a lifetime to Japan (first time ever in J for them, aged 80) courtesy of avois, Amex 2-4-1, BAEC and most importantly this forum.

And thanks zafiragirl for the post; have fun.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Yep, definitely an addictive hobby! There isn't a Mr Tiffywren to pull faces at my travel hobby but my colleagues think I'm weird and when I say I'm off to (insert random LH destination) for the weekend they just roll their eyes and ask if I'm actually leaving the airport or just getting straight back on the plane...
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I convinced my wife to switch from DL to AA.. on a challenge she made OWE,
Great , I thought.. glad to have her fly with me when we go overseas.
Well, I have now created a lovely charming caring monster.
No sooner are we back from a trip... she is already planning another trip.
Hooked on beating me to requalify .. (unfortunately she cant, I travel a lot for work overseas, and she cant always join me.)

But would not have it any other way
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Nice to hear of folks enjoying their travels and your 1st First.

I'm watching out for a new member joining here soon called Zafiraman.
My Dear - someone actually had the wit and effrontery to try and pass himself off as Him Indoors in times gone by. We had loads of fun - I safe in the knowledge that actually booting up a computer was an impossibility bred of an utter indifference to anything “techy”. (He probably would have spelt that with two k’s.), and a mind that thinks that booting up is what you do before you go to play Rugger. Zafiragirl sounds as though she knows how many beans make five, and her Man will have little idea of what transpires in Flyertalkville.

Still I would not change him for a multi-millionaire with a Black Amex card for my exclusive use. I dare say that if I repeat that long enough, I shall convince others if not myself. ����
zafiragirl and PETER01 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by parklife
Mine too! My boy even turned his nose up when we only flew business to MIA! What the hell have I created.
Yes. It's very embarrassing when you're slumming it on TUI and they're loudly complaining that they cant find the button to turn the seat into a bed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.