Query - Lounge access using BA status

Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Query - Lounge access using BA status

Hi there,

just had a quick one - I am looking for a flight from LHR to DOH - deciding between QR or BA and by chance I stumbled across this extract:

Note: According to oneworld policy change effective 1 June 2019, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum and Gold members travelling in Economy cabin of other oneworld carriers can access lounge offered by the operating carrier only.
link --> https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/P.../oneworld.html

my question is is that statement true for all members or just QR as i cannot find anything on google about it?

sorry if in wrong thread but i wasn't sure where to put it
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Do you have any status with BA or QR?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

BA

Was curious as ive only mainly accessed BA lounges overseas or third party lounges with BA status (like Plaza premiums in YYZ) but never tried accessing another airlines lounge when not flying on them
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Renergade604
BA
In which case if fllying LHR-DOH on Qatar you use the Skyteam lounge in T4 unless you are in Business or First, in which case you can use the Qatar lounge. If you are flying BA then the usual T5 lounge arrangements apply, depending on your card colour. By all means clarify what you are trying to find out here but if flying Qatar on a BA Silver card or higher, usually a lounge of some description will be available to you.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well spotted. This does seem a restriction for QR members and not for BA members so it wouldn't affect you. I have had a quick look at the QR board and it doesn't seem to have been noted so far? Certainly something they would want to discuss on there.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case if fllying LHR-DOH on Qatar you use the Skyteam lounge in T4 unless you are in Business or First, in which case you can use the Qatar lounge. If you are flying BA then the usual T5 lounge arrangements apply, depending on your card colour. By all means clarify what you are trying to find out here but if flying Qatar on a BA Silver card or higher, usually a lounge of some description will be available to you.
thanks for this - while im sure that a lounge will be available on either end its more of the case that of the statement made. Ive seen people say that upon flying from T3 go to the CX or QF lounge for instance when flying on AA to JFK - but if the statement holds and i fly to USA in Y then im forced to only go to the AA lounge
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:45 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well spotted. This does seem a restriction for QR members and not for BA members so it wouldn't affect you. I have had a quick look at the QR board and it doesn't seem to have been noted so far? Certainly something they would want to discuss on there.
I'm surprised this hasn't come up on the QR board either. I'm going to tag the QR mod team to see if perhaps they can shed some light here on whether this is merely a QR restriction quoting some (apparently obscure) oneworld policy, or if it's possibly going to become more widespread.

@msm2000uk
@Zol
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'm surprised this hasn't come up on the QR board either. I'm going to tag the QR mod team to see if perhaps they can shed some light here on whether this is merely a QR restriction quoting some (apparently obscure) oneworld policy, or if it's possibly going to become more widespread.

@msm2000uk
@Zol
QRPC have a number of rather obscure rules, and indeed this is one - and something we have discussed on the QR Forum in the past.

QR operate a differing lounge policy to that of other OneWorld members, whereby Premium Cabin (Business & First Class) are treated above status cardholders - contra to BA (for example).

This means a Platinum cardholder in Y, receives little by way of thanks - opposed to a once a year flier on a Sale Fare in J.

M
NWIFlyer and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I always refer to the lounge guide on the oneworld website

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges

It notes specific exclusions for Qatar Airways Privelege Club, American Airlines AAdvantage and SriLankan Flysmiles members and lists specific exclusions at the particular airport but in general OW Sapphire status gives you access to any OW biz lounge regardless of cabin flown provided you are flying on a OW airline.

In the past I have been denied access to a BA lounge but given access to the OW operating carrier lounge but only because the BA lounge was time specific and closed before my flight departed.

Note if you are travelling on Qatar from T4 you will also have access to the Malaysia Airlines Golden lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by AJA_
I always refer to the lounge guide on the oneworld website

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges

It notes specific exclusions for Qatar Airways Privelege Club, American Airlines AAdvantage and SriLankan Flysmiles members and lists specific exclusions at the particular airport but in general OW Sapphire status gives you access to any OW biz lounge regardless of cabin flown provided you are flying on a OW airline.

This information may not be up to date - I came out of Doha on a BA J ticket two weeks ago and used the AL-Mourjan lounge (it was even printed on my boarding pass) - and so did my wife travelling a few days later.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by dnajockey
This information may not be up to date - I came out of Doha on a BA J ticket two weeks ago and used the AL-Mourjan lounge (it was even printed on my boarding pass) - and so did my wife travelling a few days later.
That is interesing. I note that you mention it was printed on your boarding pass so that suggests BA is directing passengers to use that lounge. I wonder if the usual lounge BA uses is undergoing refurbishment or whether it is a permanent enhancement? Never flown via Doha so it's not one I've looked up on the Oneworld website before now.

The oneworld website is usually reliable. I wonder how often it gets updated.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dnajockey
There is a nuance on that one. While al Mourjan is listed as an excluded lounge (and I really don't know what Qatar ties itself in all these knots), nevertheless the lounge is open to oneworld departures from DOH, so long as the passenger is in Business or First. The exclusion is therefore on status travellers, but not on cabin. So a GGL flying Qatar economy isn't welcome, but a Blue travelling BA CW is allowed entry. So they have a Qatar specific policy, rather than adopting the usual oneworld norms.

Same rules at their lounge in London and Paris. There are other, not-so-good lounges in DOH for status passengers travelling oneworld.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Interesting - thanks for the clarification c-w-s.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by AJA_
..................Note if you are travelling on Qatar from T4 you will also have access to the Malaysia Airlines Golden lounge.
Yes, well worth a visit.

With so much focus on T5 and T3, its often easy to forget that for around 20 years, T4 was of course home to BA at LHR. Today it can sometimes seem an unheralded terminal, but one major benefit is that - amongst the vast array of lounges (over 40 in all, AFAIK ?) spread across the entire airport, two of the very best just happen to be in T4 : Qatar, and (the F class section of) the Malaysian lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.