FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   WT Hand Baggage Fare Seat Selection Con? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1998873-wt-hand-baggage-fare-seat-selection-con.html)

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 9:57 am

WT Hand Baggage Fare Seat Selection Con?
 
Travelling on my own dime on BA11 from LHR-SIN last week (hand baggage fare for a long weekend trip). I was assigned a window seat at the back of the plane on the lower deck. Itís not great having to climb over up to two people for 13 hours, but thatís the luck of the draw - or so I thought.

As usual, I was offered to select my seat (and pay £59 IIRC for an aisle seat) and I was offered around 10-15 alternatives (not all aisle seats). All remaining 280+ out of 299 economy seats where crossed out and not for selection. This I believe gave the impression that the flight was nearly full in economy.

However, the booking class on the day of travel for economy was still the lowest available, so I expected the flight to be quiet, so thought Iíd take my chance to get an aisle seat on board rather than paying £59.

In the end, the flight itself was less than half full in economy, and I snagged a whole row of 4 in the middle to myself (poor mans business class!).

This left a sour taste in my mouth. The way the seat selection was presented by BA was a con in my opinion, with the only objective to get people into parting with their hard earned cash unnecessarily.

Sharp practise by BA IMO.

madfish Dec 8, 19 10:06 am

Nobody forced you to pay for a seat. Where does it say anywhere that the seats that you are shown are all that are available. There are various ways of checking what is actually available.

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 10:16 am


Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31818294)
There are various ways of checking what is actually available.

Enlighten me please, beyond what I can find out what booking class is available.

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 10:19 am


Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31818294)
Nobody forced you to pay for a seat.

Your right, and I didnít, but Iím not impressed by your tone unless you are a BA revenue agent.

The purpose of my post (as well as a bit of a moan) is to make people aware, as these threads are fully searchable on the internet.

Hopefully I can save people a few quid over the years, and keep it out of BAís grabbing hands. Knowledge is power.

Misco60 Dec 8, 19 10:20 am


Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31818294)
Nobody forced you to pay for a seat. Where does it say anywhere that the seats that you are shown are all that are available.

I have little doubt that the seat map shown to passengers willing to pay for a seat is carefully designed to give the impression that the flight is busy and, in true BA style, to gouge as much money out of the customer as possible.

My own experiences on BA, as a status passenger, have almost always been good but I'm beginning to see how it looks from the perspective of your average non-status passenger and it leaves a very unpleasant taste.

orbitmic Dec 8, 19 10:35 am


Originally Posted by Oil-man (Post 31818268)
Travelling on my own dime on BA11 from LHR-SIN last week (hand baggage fare for a long weekend trip). I was assigned a window seat at the back of the plane on the lower deck. Itís not great having to climb over up to two people for 13 hours, but thatís the luck of the draw - or so I thought.

As usual, I was offered to select my seat (and pay £59 IIRC for an aisle seat) and I was offered around 10-15 alternatives (not all aisle seats). All remaining 280+ out of 299 economy seats where crossed out and not for selection. This I believe gave the impression that the flight was nearly full in economy.

However, the booking class on the day of travel for economy was still the lowest available, so I expected the flight to be quiet, so thought Iíd take my chance to get an aisle seat on board rather than paying £59.

In the end, the flight itself was less than half full in economy, and I snagged a whole row of 4 in the middle to myself (poor mans business class!).

This left a sour taste in my mouth. The way the seat selection was presented by BA was a con in my opinion, with the only objective to get people into parting with their hard earned cash unnecessarily.

Sharp practise by BA IMO.

This is not a con nor related to your buying a HBO fare. you should just look up the thread on theoretical searing and youíll understand exactly why only a small sub-selection of empty seats was offered to you.

ps: plus the argument makes little sense: if ba wanted to tempt you theyíd offer as many seats as possible for you to choose in order to tempt you. People know others will check in too so you could have a tonne of seats to choose from even in a cabin that will be sold out. Listing few for sale would just increase the risk customers wonít be offered something they want to buy.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 8, 19 10:37 am


Originally Posted by Oil-man (Post 31818268)
In the end, the flight itself was less than half full in economy, and I snagged a whole row of 4 in the middle to myself (poor mans business class!).

This left a sour taste in my mouth. The way the seat selection was presented by BA was a con in my opinion, with the only objective to get people into parting with their hard earned cash unnecessarily.

Given your status you should have got free seat selection, but from what I've been told it's rare for people to book Basic fares and pay for seat selection - the point of these fares is essentially to save money. BA offer seats for a fee (to those without status on restricted tickets) but to some extent they don't push it - at least compared to those airlines that send out nag notifications and emails.

However luckily there is Flyertalk and we have an existing thread in this forum where people can check how busy their flight is. ExpertFlyer gives a more accurate view than the seat plan on BA.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ght-loads.html

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 10:44 am

So, Iíve just checked in for BA12 back to LHR tomorrow night.

Iíve been Ďrandomlyí assigned a middle seat on the lower deck of economy. Once again I was given the option to select a seat for a fee.

Of the 299 economy available, once again Iíve been offered around 15 seats to choose from (with only one seat on the less popular lower deck!). The remaining 280+ economy seats are not for selection.

I know the flight is booking into discount economy class N (same as the outbound) for any new ticket booked today. Therefore, it should be a relatively quiet flight in economy and BA are trying to pull a fast one again.

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 10:50 am


Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31818383)
Given your status you should have got free seat selection

Whoops, Iím not on here very often and my BA (and BD - remember that gravy train!) Gold expired years ago. No status now, so Iíll update profile when Iím not typing on my phone, so it doesnít confuse.

Kgmm77 Dec 8, 19 10:51 am


Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31818294)
Where does it say anywhere that the seats that you are shown are all that are available.

When youíre answering a question about ethics and customer service by referring to the minutiae of terms and conditions, frankly youíre losing.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 8, 19 10:56 am


Originally Posted by Oil-man (Post 31818410)
So, Iíve just checked in for BA12 back to LHR tomorrow night.

Iíve been Ďrandomlyí assigned a middle seat on the lower deck of economy. Once again I was given the option to select a seat for a fee.

If by tomorrow you mean departing 9 December, then BA12 is fairly well sold. There are about a dozen available seats, but after staff standbys I would expect that service to go out fairly busy. On the upper deck there are about 4 aisle seats left and a similar number of window seats. There are also about 6 Theoretical Blocks for status passengers, not all of which will survive the next 24 hours. The main deck is, as you suggested, more busy, with just 2 aisle seats and about 8 TS blocks. 38D might, might, give you an empty seat next to you.

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 11:02 am


Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31818383)
but to some extent they don't push it - at least compared to those airlines that send out nag notifications and emails.

BA very much do push it. Playing mind games to maximise seat selection revenue IMO.

madfish Dec 8, 19 11:07 am


Originally Posted by Oil-man (Post 31818318)
Enlighten me please, beyond what I can find out what booking class is available.

Try a dummy booking or subscribe to expert flyer. See what either of these reveal.

madfish Dec 8, 19 11:12 am


Originally Posted by Oil-man (Post 31818325)
Your right, and I didnít, but Iím not impressed by your tone unless you are a BA revenue agent.

The purpose of my post (as well as a bit of a moan) is to make people aware, as these threads are fully searchable on the internet.

Hopefully I can save people a few quid over the years, and keep it out of BAís grabbing hands. Knowledge is power.

So you donít like people stating facts?

In any case, as pointed out by others, there is a very good thread about theortical seating. But Iím sure your thread will become as important as that one.

As you said, you paid with your own money (you must think that makes you unusual around here - it doesnít). You choose the cheapest fare available so have to accept what BA give you seat wise. If you want more, then pay more. Simple as that.

Oil-man Dec 8, 19 11:16 am


Originally Posted by madfish (Post 31818489)
So you donít like people stating facts?

In any case, as pointed out by others, there is a very good thread about theortical seating. But Iím sure your thread will become as important as that one.

As you said, you paid with your own money (you must think that makes you unusual around here - it doesnít). You choose the cheapest fare available so have to accept what BA give you seat wise. If you want more, then pay more. Simple as that.

Nice


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:04 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.