Tier point year extension query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec club Gold
Tier point year extension query

Hi everyone,

I have a query on behalf of my wife.

She has 1390 tier points and her tier point collection ends tomorrow (8th Dec). We are flying on the 21st of Dec to New York which will give her enough tier points to achieve Gold.

She has phoned the silver executive club line three times and has been told three different things (!):

Firstly, she was told that a request had to be lodged to BA asking for a 2 week extension and she has to wait for the outcome as to whether she would indeed get an extension or not;

She was then told the second time that she did not have to do anything, that BA would give her an automatic extension given that she is flying within 2 weeks of her tier collection year ending;

And

Finally, that she cannot request or wait for an extension, that she has to phone BA after she has flown on the 21st, and ask for the tier points to be backdated.

Would anyone be able to shed some light, based on experience, which is the right answer?! It would be disappointing if she did not achieve Gold given that she is so close.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
she needs to call after the TPs from the flight post.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:27 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The procedure is to wait until the TPs post, then call up and ask for them to be allocated to the previous year.

Everything thereafter is a manual process involving spreadsheet entries and adjustments, but it would be extraordinary for the request to be declined.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
She will need to call in after flying the necessary flights during the 2 week extension. BAEC will not grant an extension before flying. See these threads:
Year end flexibility
BA Two Week Extension
TP year extension:call before or after the fact?
Extending membership year
How to seek permission to add days to membership year to gain qualifying tier points
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The procedure is to wait until the TPs post, then call up and ask for them to be allocated to the previous year.

Everything thereafter is a manual process involving spreadsheet entries and adjustments, but it would be extraordinary for the request to be declined.

+1. wife just did this. Was approved no problem, took about 5 business days for her status update to Gold.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The right outcome will be known only after doing the segment on the 21st and requesting the extension. I believe the request will be approved.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses it’s put my mind at ease now. Although when on the phone to BAEC I was told my wife would have to complete the whole trip 21st dec to the 2nd of Jan then call up and ask to have extension even so this would be past the 2 week grace period. Anyone shed any light on this ?

Last edited by Mark D Redpath; Dec 8, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:04 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The last bit is nonsense. As soon as the TPs hit her account, call up. You categorically do not have to wait until the end of the itinerary.
Mark D Redpath likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The last bit is nonsense. As soon as the TPs hit her account, call up. You categorically do not have to wait until the end of the itinerary.
Exactly what I thought. I think some of the lies that the BA call agents tell aren’t necessarily true 😂
NWIFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.