GGL partner cards--nominating yourself?

Old Dec 7, 19, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
GGL partner cards--nominating yourself?

I am GGL this year (TP end year on Dec 8th), and have qualified for GGL next year, ie through Dec 8th 2020 as well.

Looking ahead, I can predict I will not requalify for 2021, given changes at work. My travel may be so limited that I will likely not even qualify for Gold.

Thinking about the most efficient use of partner cards in this case--a thought came to me. Can I use a partner card to nominate myself for Gold before Dec 8th 2020, which would then provide me with Gold status through 2021?

Called GGL line to ask, and they said No....only for them to then later say to call us back closer to the date to see if there is anything they can do.

Anyone with experience here?
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes thatís correct, you canít nominate yourself. There isnít much you can do, if you arenít getting 3k TPs you will lose your GGL status. At least if you get 1500 TPs you will get gold, but if you donít get that you will soft land to silver.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm actually surprised that as far as I can remember (and I may well have missed it of course), I don't believe anyone asked that before! That sounded like a fairly clever way to "trade" a partner gold card for a soft landing to gold if it had been allowed...
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'm actually surprised that as far as I can remember (and I may well have missed it of course), I don't believe anyone asked that before! That sounded like a fairly clever way to "trade" a partner gold card for a soft landing to gold if it had been allowed...
Itís been asked before a few times, albeit not recently.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Itís been asked before a few times, albeit not recently.
Thanks! As I suspected I missed those!
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If you will no longer be travelling as much with the change in circumstances, is status that important to you? What will your travelling be- mainly leisure with family (in which case nominating one of them can help) or infrequent business travel- and of so is it in Y or J? Iíd suggest it would only really be worth chasing if your travel is mainly in Y and frequent albeit not at the GGL level and perhaps in these circumstances I might consider a TP run
Old Dec 7, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
I think I asked a similar question a few years ago when I incorrectly thought my travel was going to dry up before reaching GfL. I think the only way to do it is to swap your Gold nomination with someone else and obviously there would need to be a level of trust involved on both sides.

Maybe ask nearer the time?
Old Dec 7, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I think the advice to call closer to the time is key. There may well be some discretion possible.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by Carmer View Post
Thinking about the most efficient use of partner cards in this case--a thought came to me. Can I use a partner card to nominate myself for Gold before Dec 8th 2020, which would then provide me with Gold status through 2021?
I think the simple answer to your question is NO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: