BA to Shetland Islands

Old Dec 7, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

BA to Shetland Islands

Good evening,
I am planning on a trip to Shetland Islands and I was wondering if BA do fly at all to Shetland since I could not find any flights?
Is there any way to redeem Avios on any other airline and enjoy frequent flyer benefits as BA Gold?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
BA codeshare with Loganair on the leg to Lerwick, e.g. from Aberdeen.
https://flights.app.goo.gl/pXeH1

If Gold, I believe you get lounge access in ABZ before you Loganair flight, as long as you are booked on a BA flight number on a BA issued ticket.

Doesn't seem a partiularly cheap place to visit:though and you can't redeem Avios on Loganair flights, snce they dropped the partnership with FlyBe (and FlyBe stopped using Avios anyway).
Old Dec 7, 19, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your detailed response. I will look into the codeshare with Loganair. Are there codeshares on the EDI route as well?
Aside from the lounge access do you get any additional baggage benefits?
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Yes theer are code shares from Glasgow and Edinburgh

BA4017 GLA-LSI

BA4095 and BA4097 EDI-LSI

(these are just a couple of examples)

These need to be booked as part of a connecting flight from a regular BA flight

Its Sumburgh Airport you need to look for
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

So the Logainair flights between ABZ/GLA/EDI and LSI cannot be booked as BA codeshare?
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 40degreeswest View Post
So the Logainair flights between ABZ/GLA/EDI and LSI cannot be booked as BA codeshare?
If you are only travelling on Loganair you can't book it as a codeshare. You have to combine it at some point with a BA service to generate the codeshare. It's all about who markets the flights. BA doesn't market Loganair's services on their own, that's Loganair's job. But if there is a BA service involved then BA is happy to get the business.
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I could be wrong, but my understanding is you cannot just book ABZ/GLA/EDI to LSI with BA. If you want to do that you need to book direct with Logan air

You can book LHR to LSI with BA going via ABZ,GLA,EDI
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Off topic, but I recommend taking the car and the ferry. Sumburgh airfield is a long way from Lerwick, and the layout of the islands mean a car is crucial to explore. We went a few years ago and took the car on the boat from Aberdeen and we were so glad we had it, and we were able to visit Yell, Unst and Fetlar.

Unless you have a specific reason to visit Lerwick, and only Lerwick, then forget the plane.
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful responses!
Old Dec 7, 19, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post
Off topic, but I recommend taking the car and the ferry. Sumburgh airfield is a long way from Lerwick, and the layout of the islands mean a car is crucial to explore. We went a few years ago and took the car on the boat from Aberdeen and we were so glad we had it, and we were able to visit Yell, Unst and Fetlar.

Unless you have a specific reason to visit Lerwick, and only Lerwick, then forget the plane.
But there's car hire at Sumburgh airport?
Old Dec 7, 19, 2:40 pm

Yes there may be, I donít remember.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Off topic, but I recommend taking the car and the ferry.
12 hours across an often rough North Sea may not appeal to every one.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:02 pm

Including my wife, about half way across....
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes there may be, I don’t remember.
Yes, Star Rent-a-car, who are agents for Europcar, have a desk in the arrivals area. Plus there is a regular (every 2 hour) bus service to Lerwick, which is £3 for the 25 mile trip.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:15 pm

on the shetland islands a regular bus service can mean the 3rd wednesday of every month

Search this Thread
Search Engine: