Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Shetland Islands

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Actually planning on flying into LSI and renting a car at the airport to explore the islands.
HIDDY and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
BA code share is available from LHR to LSI. I have done this. The outbound was via EDI and the inbound via INV. Lounge access at EDI and INV. Car hire...we used AVIS via Bolt car hire. This involves being collected at LSI and driven short 5 minutes or so to the car hire pick up. On return you leave the car at LSI short term car park. Keys inside vehicle.its a wonderful place and plenty of opportunities to drive and ferry hop. Watch wildlife, take boat trips and walk. Well recommended. And while expensive to get there, fine when there. Go I n spring or early summer and enjoy the long days. Highly recommended.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by aristoph
But there's car hire at Sumburgh airport?
Yes, there is. Pricing was reasonable, service was excellent.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Its on my 2020 list too

Via GLA is probably the most scenic route weather permitting!

Last edited by allturnleft; Dec 8, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Visited the Shetlands for the first time last summer and enjoyed it. Would particularly recommend:

- Puffin watching at the old lighthouse near Sumburgh Airport - I was mesmerised by these creatures!
- Delicious Puffin Poo! I became addicted!
- Victoria Tea House on Unst (Britain's most northerly tea rooms)
- Unst Bus Shelter (look it up, you'll see how a bus shelter can become an attraction!)
- Frankie's fish and chips in Brae (again, Britain's most northerly chippy)
- Cup of tea at the old-world style Hillswick hotel.
- The stunning views of the cliffs at Eshaness Lighthouse.
- A preserved croft house near Sumburgh Airport.
- St. Ninian's Isle for a feeling of walking like Moses along a parting in the Red Sea.
- Shetland Museum in Lerwick is also very informative and interesting.

We also enjoyed a fantastic meal at the Gurkha Nepali restaurant in Lerwick, highly recommended.

As mentioned above by others, we rented a car which we picked up near Sumburgh Airport, then deposited in the airport car park on our departure. You definitely need a car, public transport is not that frequent or reliable and the distances between places can be long.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I am also doing some planning. Does anyone happen to know if one can book a stopover rather than a transfer? So LHR-EDI [>24h] EDI-LSI...

ETA: Sorry I should be capable of managing the answer to that myself! The answer appears to be no. If you book a direct flight to LSI there are plenty of connections shown through EDI. But if you try a multi-city as suggested above then the EDI-LSI flight is routed via LCY and ABZ - at considerable expense.

Pity.

Last edited by hsmall; Dec 8, 2019 at 4:10 am
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:01 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Bus

On of the most interesting bits of history is "the Shetland bus" besides having the famous bus shelter on Unst.

It refers to the clandestine operations in support of the Norwegian resistance in WW2. There is a museum.

If you have a car (useful) then don't sit in the car on the inter-island hops. Watch the diving sea birds if it is Summer.

Up on the top left of Mainland is "the cannon" which is a fun thing to watch. You need to be round to the South of it looking at it on the map. A big horizontal blow hole that spits out clouds that look like cannon fire smoke from pirate films.

I once chartered the BN2 Islander in BA colours when Loganair operated in BA colours to fly up to Unst.

Enjoy the trip and watch out for "Oscar Charlie"

PM if you need more info

Spottie
jmd likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
on the shetland islands a regular bus service can mean the 3rd wednesday of every month
That is more like West Dorset.

Shetlands have decent bus services.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:53 pm

40degreeswest likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
40degreeswest likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It looks beautiful, but I guess it’s a bit hit and miss with the weather.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
We had two weeks there a few years ago. The weather was excellent, but it is alway a windy. Not strong winds, just a continual stiff breeze.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 40degreeswest
Good evening,
I am planning on a trip to Shetland Islands and I was wondering if BA do fly at all to Shetland since I could not find any flights?
Is there any way to redeem Avios on any other airline and enjoy frequent flyer benefits as BA Gold?
Thanks
I lived in Shetland and now Orkney. BA flies to LSI from LON only, if elsewhere, you will be connected via LON. Just go to ba.com and enter LSI as your destination, if you are flying from any London airport. If you are flying from elsewhere, you have to use Flybe or Loganair website.

Points cannot be used on LON - LSI flights.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 40degreeswest
Thank you for your detailed response. I will look into the codeshare with Loganair. Are there codeshares on the EDI route as well?
Aside from the lounge access do you get any additional baggage benefits?
BA do LON (LHR, LGW, LCY) - SCO (EDI, GLA, ABZ) - LSI. Flying on Loganair with a BA ticket will give you BA allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.