SIN long layover - recommendations?

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond
SIN long layover - recommendations?

Hi all,

Have a long layover at SIN later this month and wanted to get some thoughts on things to do (family with 2 teenagers).

Getting into SIN at 4pm, then onto BA011 at 11pm. Given the time, is it worth leaving bags at the airport and heading into the city? If so, any suggestions on activities?

I understand that there's a fair amount of things to do in and around the airport, so is it just 'easier' to hang around there? Any recommendations in that respect? Will have access to OW lounges.

Also, how far in advance can you check bags in?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
IMHO catch the hourly show in the attached shopping center, spend a few hours browsing and head for one of the lounges. It is about an hour each way by public transport to the city so probably not worth going downtown.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:42 am

You can check bags all day at the early check in counters

You could easily get a taxi down to Marina Bay, take a sunset stroll and have some food (e.g. Gluttons bay) and take a taxi back to the airport. There is the new Jewel shopping centre there, but 7hrs even with lounges etc is gonna feel long when the city is so accessible

Don't do public transport, too slow, taxis are cheap and plentiful. If you are worried about hailing one back then download the Grab app in advance
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There’s a free tour from the airport but cabs are cheap. I’d go to town for a meal personally.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
It depends if you are looking for glitz or something a bit cheaper. You could easily drop your bags at the early check in desk in the Jewel and then take a taxi to a hawker centre (maybe Satay by the Bay) for a cheap traditional meal followed by a walk around Marina Bay. On the other hand you could take a taxi straight to Marina Bay and walk around, do some shopping if you wished and then head for a luxury dinner somewhere like CE LA VI which is a rooftop restaurant and bar on the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel.
F1flyer likes this.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Dec 7, 2019 at 7:22 am Reason: Too many typos
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The gardens by the bay conservatories are beautiful and are worth a visit or a sunset stroll ( sunset is around 7pm ) around the Marina Bay or visit Marina Bay sands followed by a visit to the Jewel return to changi then the lounge ( security ode at the gate T1,2,3)

However depending when you go the Conservatories may be very busy in the run up to christmas and for some areas in the gardens a specila ticket may be required

https://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/e...admission.html

On a nice day the views from the top of the Marina Bay sands are impressive

Regards

TBS
Lefly likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’d get a cab and go to a Din Tai Fung branch of your choosing
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:09 am

Definitely grab a taxi to Marina Bay area. Don't write off the paid entry Christmas Wonderland without taking a look to see if it would interest your family. If you haven't seen the Garden Rhapsody Supertrees, the whole extravaganza is quite an experience. (Different people will judge the nature of the experience differently, but I have found Singapore's SuperTrees unique despite seeing many Asian and non-Asian light shows. That said, one paid entry - which I do not regret - at Christmas time, other times of the year being free, was probably enough for my lifetime.)

I've visited Gardens by the Bay flower and cloud domes at heavy Christmas periods and still found them very enjoyable. Spectra is a free light show in the area. Google the hours for your date. That could combined with stopping into the Marina Bay Sands hotel complex with paid roof viewing, strolling Marina Bay and crossing the Helix Bridge, Gluttons by the Bay, etc. There is also the Singapore Flyer in the area if you haven't had enough of London Eye-type experiences.

If something more traditional suits better, take a taxi to Orchard road for shopping and Christmas lights and experiences.

SIN is an incredible airport, but I suspect your teens will much better enjoy an outing into the city. Taxis are readily available at Marina Bay Sands hotel and elsewhere in the area for your return. I've spent a couple Christmas holidays in S'pore. Some fun things to do if you just relax and enjoy lights,music, people watching and topical weather. I was recently missing that weather as I stumbled, freezing, through a holiday light show at my local Chicago botanic gardens (direct from Kew!!).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC silver
We always go for a swim at the transit hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Night zoo.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes theory did a cool episode on Changi. Here’s pretty much everything you can possibly do in the airport

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1 for gardens by the bay and the area. I’d personally leave the shopping centres out, frankly, they all look like airports in the end!
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

I personally love the Night Safari (night zoo) as mentioned in post #10 although not everyone does. I'm not sure the attraction would work well for OP. It opens at 7:15/7:30, there can be lines for tickets and with assigned entrance times. Advance tickets may not be the best bet - weather conditions may not be great, plane could be delayed, family might not be in the mood, etc. (I can tell you from personal experience, do not go if there is a thunder storm; storms are not all over in 15 minutes and sitting under cover at a bar for 90 minutes trying to avoid lightning is about 60 minutes too long!)

OP arrives at 4 PM, just as River Safari and regular zoo are closing and too early for Night Safari. Taxis are easy to get from Night Safari, but I wouldn't want to cut it too short to get back to Changi and plane boarding. If OP wants to be at Changi at 9 or 9:30 PM, allowing for a 30 minute taxi ride from Mandai to Changi, that doesn't leave much more than 90 minutes at best to see the night zoo.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remember it is going to be hot and humid outside. You will probably need a change of clothes and factor in shower time afterwards. Would definitely spring for a taxi than the train due to time, ease and cost as they are relatively cheap.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
The gardens by the bay greenhouses and supertrees light show are incredible and a must-see if you have time. As above re taxis - very cheap and easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.