Wiki Posts
Search

BA fast track at JFK T7

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Angry BA fast track at JFK T7

It was a very long queue last night - took me 50 minutes to go through security and think it must have been even more for those behind me. I remember it as being fairly quick and efficient in the past (except for the time when T7 renovation was happening), so was surprised. Just one line open yesterday around 6pm. Given that BA actually owns T7, I'd think that they should have some influence as to how things work? A lot of unhappy premium pax. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but fast track is one of the major factors affecting my choice on this route (and in this direction), given that some other airlines/terminals are set up in a binary way: "TSA-pre" and "rest of the world", where I end up in the latter category.

The last-minute downgrade from CWS to CW didn't help the overall experience, either.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Standard for T7.

Frankly if you're an Emerald or in Business Class and are using BA instead of AA on the JFK route you're a bit crackers, IMO. The ground experience at T8 is the complete opposite on AA with Flagship Check-In getting me from curb to lounge on average in less than 5mins, 10mins tops if TSA PreCheck is backed up after the BP check. The new Flagship Lounge is certainly on par with BA's lounge set up at T7, bar the spa if you care about that. Onboard you'll get lie flats with direct aisle access on every flight and the AA Arrivals Lounge at LHR has better F&B and much better showers, IMO.

In the opposite direction AA now use BA's F check-in and the lounges in T3 are widely discussed as being very good (CX and QF especially). JFK T8 is much easier and faster on the whole at the moment on the arrivals end, T7 is just too much of a crapshoot. Sometimes you're right through with no bother, sometimes the queues are out into the dungeon tunnels and it can take 2hrs.

IMO, the only place BA solidly wins over AA is the Do&Co catering and the Sleeper Service arrangement does promote sleep onboard, something I notice J/F passengers doing much less on AA..
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The concept of premium security, what BA refers to as Fast Track, is really not much of anything in the US.

Where carriers choose to provide it, it is simply a shorter line leading up to the checkpoint. The experience from the TSA Officer checking ID's through to conclusion is the same for all except those with Pre-Check. This also includes removing one's shoes, laptop, , baggie with liquids, and jacket.

Thus, while a premium line may reduce the wait time a very little bit, Pre-Check processes 6-7 passengers in the same time the standard screening processes one.

Bottom line is that premium lines are largely for show and to make people feel better.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA don't own T7. They have it on a lease from the Port Authority. They will be moving to T8 in 2022 or thereabouts.

They have very little control over TSA staffing (and CBP for immigration for entry see recent thrad on that) and they do raise it with both organisations on a regular basis.
abligh likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fraser
Standard for T7.

Frankly if you're an Emerald or in Business Class and are using BA instead of AA on the JFK route you're a bit crackers, IMO. The ground experience at T8 is the complete opposite on AA with Flagship Check-In getting me from curb to lounge on average in less than 5mins, 10mins tops if TSA PreCheck is backed up after the BP check. The new Flagship Lounge is certainly on par with BA's lounge set up at T7, bar the spa if you care about that. Onboard you'll get lie flats with direct aisle access on every flight and the AA Arrivals Lounge at LHR has better F&B and much better showers, IMO.
Fraser Flagship First check in with AA in T8 is not for business class unless one is also a OWE. I agree with you though, its totally fantastic. I do not think the Flagship lounge is on par with the new BA lounges in T7, especially if one is a OWE and has access to the quieter First lounge area whereas the AA Flagship is open to OWS/OWE and premium passengers. I think if traveling First on AA then the Flagship First Dining is another great feature but it still doesnt come close to the lovely CCR in T7.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
and has access to the quieter First lounge
Not in my experience The AA Flagship Lounge has some much quieter areas and frankly whether you can access with Business/Sapphire/a pulse/expired library card doesn't bother me if the facilities are up to snuff. The Flagship Lounge is huge and it doesn't take much effort to find a quiet spot...also a few of the bartenders in there know me now and so the service is always top drawer which helps my perception of things! If you have a Priority Pass you can always grab more substantial food for free from the Bobby Van's steakhouse across from the lounge.

Apologies, my wording was somewhat ambiguous on the Flagship Check-In, as you point out it's only for Emerald/premium FC.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Fraser
Standard for T7.

In the opposite direction AA now use BA's F check-in and the lounges in T3 are widely discussed as being very good (CX and QF especially). JFK T8 is much easier and faster on the whole at the moment on the arrivals end, T7 is just too much of a crapshoot. Sometimes you're right through with no bother, sometimes the queues are out into the dungeon tunnels and it can take 2hrs.

IMO, the only place BA solidly wins over AA is the Do&Co catering and the Sleeper Service arrangement does promote sleep onboard, something I notice J/F passengers doing much less on AA..
Sleeper service has been discontinued a while ago.

Agree with most of what you say, but 1) BA has more frequencies, 2) some of us have CCR access which certainly wins over the Flagship lounge buffet thing.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 5, 2019 at 10:15 am Reason: Mistake corrected
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I just find the service routine on AA for JFK-LHR to not be very restful - too many passengers eat, the lights stay on etc. - BA on the JFK route (especially a 747 upper deck) is much better for sleep, typically very few passengers eat and the lights go out very quickly after take-off

I'm a fan of AA for many of the other reasons flagged, but for short East Cost overnights I just find BA give me a bit more sleep...
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I usually get told to go to the TSA Pre line and they open the Tensa barrier for me, which is usually quicker than Fast Track.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
2) BA has the only eastbound day flights which some of us like quite a lot
That is not true. AA has the 142 which is very much a day flight JFK-LHR.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rossmacd
That is not true. AA has the 142 which is very much a day flight JFK-LHR.
And a good flight it is too having done it a couple of times. The 10am or so departure is more civilisied than the 8am BA one.

And for completness VS also has a day flight
bermudasun and AndyFlyer like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Dec 5, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
How can people always say it's not ba s fault cuz they can't control tsa and security?
Of course they are not their employees.
But I doubt ba couldn't ask for more pay for more security lines and install a real tsa pre. This bs fast track doesn't even have tsa pre scanners.

I totally agree with the op. This security situation at t7 is not a flagship for BA.. And AA shows how it is supposed to be done as puts ba to shame. I have complained so many times at ba.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:54 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Fast track security at T7 is a joke. Fortunately it has never taken me more than 10 minutes to get through, but I can imagine during peak times you could have dozens of J/F/status pax lined up.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I have a CCR card and I almost always fly AA JFK-LHR.

Aside from all the points above about having a guaranteed aisle access suite, for me the point is this: because T8 is much more efficient in TSA-Pre security and Terminal layout, I have a lot of certainty that I can get from the kerb to the airplane door in under 15 minutes. That means I can leave my last meeting/office in Manhattan at 4.15pm and still comfortably make the 6.20pm flight (AA100). Since that plane lands at T3 rather than T5B or T5C, the lack of faff with the T5 tunnels and more compact customs means I'm usually on the 6.48am (or 6.33am if I'm lucky) HEx to arrive at Paddington at 7.03am.
Flying BA on the same route at the same time, I need to leave Manhattan 30 mins earlier plus since at T5B and T5C it takes a lot longer to get from the plane door to Paddington, I'll usually end up arriving 30-60 minutes later in Central London.

Doesn't matter if you fly once a year on holiday, but if you take these flights 12-15 times a year it adds up.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by chistery
I usually get told to go to the TSA Pre line and they open the Tensa barrier for me, which is usually quicker than Fast Track.
There was absolutely no separation for Pre check pax until the screening point was actually reached and this after an unacceptable wait in the "Priority" line, Usually fly AA on this route and have never experienced this degree of delay for both priority and Pre check passengers. Don't know if there is another "TSA precheck" line at the other end of the terminal, I think the regular gates with many screening points might have been better.
I agree, this was an absolute disgrace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.