Walk from T5 Business Parking to Thistle?

Old Dec 5, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Walk from T5 Business Parking to Thistle?

(and yes, I know about the POD link but it's double the price of Business Parking...)

I have an early flight coming up and have booked the Thistle. Google maps shows that if I park at the end of T5 Business Parking it's a very short distance to the Thistle, along the perimeter road and across some parking lot/buildings to the Thistle.

Does anyone know if this is walkable? Wouldn't be the first time I've tried to walk and found no pavements/verges or walls between adjacent plots that prevent access.
Old Dec 5, 19, 4:40 am

Not sure if you can get out of the car park as the only gaps in the fence are where you drive in/out.
Old Dec 5, 19, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Yes, I don't think any of the car parks have pedestrian exits. I figured I'd walk out the driving exit anyway, as that's the point closest to the Thistle.

Of course, I can always get the bus to T5 and the POD back but it seems a faff if I could walk it in a few minutes.
Old Dec 5, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think the only exits from the T5 business park is either by the roadway entrance/exit for buses, or the one for cars. The bus exit is at the western end near the Thistle, and I reckon you should be able to duck under or past any barrier there. You do then have to cross the perimeter road and walk along the road with no pavement (so, on the grass or other verge) towards the Thistle. I would be prepared to try it on my own (in good weather) but also to be prepared for backtracking and a longer walk either back to the car park, bus to T5, then back to the Thistle via pod, or some longer walk around to another entrance of the Thistle. If I had bags, bad weather, or Ms F along then I wouldn't do it.
Old Dec 5, 19, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Good shout, thanks. I'll only have a backpack and I generally prefer walking so I think I'll give it a go. Google thinks it's about 3 minutes walking so even if I have to backtrack all the way it won't take long.
Old Dec 5, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Good shout, thanks. I'll only have a backpack and I generally prefer walking so I think I'll give it a go. Google thinks it's about 3 minutes walking so even if I have to backtrack all the way it won't take long.
With the caveat that I don't know the definitive answer because I've never tried it myself, my guess is that Google is assuming there's a walkable route from the perimeter road into the back of the Thistle. It also shows the car route as dumping you just off the perimeter road at the back of the Thistle rather a route than via the hotel's main entrance which is on the Bath Road, outside the airport perimeter. Google may be correct, but be prepared for a longer walk, depending on what you find on the day.
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
OP, when are you travelling? I could have a look next Tuesday to see how do-able it is
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Hmmm... yes I've now scrutinised the satellite photos on Google and I'm thinking that there is likely a around the hotel which could be a problem. I guess they wouldn't make it too easy to walk or people might take the pods and then just walk round via the road to avoid the pod fee.

Maybe I'll just go anyway and scout it out. It'll be dark though so not ideal to see if there's a suitable gap somewhere.
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
OP, when are you travelling? I could have a look next Tuesday to see how do-able it is
That's very kind but I'm going Sunday! ^:-:
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; SPG Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; RR Concierge
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Hmmm... yes I've now scrutinised the satellite photos on Google and I'm thinking that there is likely a around the hotel which could be a problem. I guess they wouldn't make it too easy to walk or people might take the pods and then just walk round via the road to avoid the pod fee.

Maybe I'll just go anyway and scout it out. It'll be dark though so not ideal to see if there's a suitable gap somewhere.
From memory I am pretty sure there is fencing all the way around the plot, partly due to the Pod car park (their fence is about 10ft high), but also because there's a car hire cleaning/processing facility immediately in-front of the hotel which runs along it's width.

I suspect your best bet is to just take the shuttle to the Terminal, and use a free TfL bus round to the Thistle.
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakaix View Post
From memory I am pretty sure there is fencing all the way around the plot, partly due to the Pod car park (their fence is about 10ft high), but also because there's a car hire cleaning/processing facility immediately in-front of the hotel which runs along it's width.

I suspect your best bet is to just take the shuttle to the Terminal, and use a free TfL bus round to the Thistle.
That makes sense. I was trying to figure out what was happening on that plot from the satellite pics. I think it probably is well fenced in. Shuttle and bus/pod it is then! Shame when it looks like a short walk.

Ah well, thanks all.
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: BA
Have you tried checking Google Street View? You should be able to see whether itís walkable.
Old Dec 5, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There's no google street view on most of the Heathrow perimeter road (and the overhead imagery on both Google and Bing maps is not quite good enough to spot a fence, without mil-grade photo interpreter skills); I did try using street view.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
I dont know if it's still accurate but, I found this from 2015. The post from a MizterT on Nov 18 provides some detail. Personally, I would take the shuttle.

Walking to Heathrow?
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
To confirm, there are no pavements directly from T5 Business Parking towards T5 or the Thistle, there is no safe way to cross the Northern Perimeter Road at that point, and there is indeed a fence all the way around the Thistle with no pedestrian access (other than through POD Parking).

Safer and comfier to use the shuttle bus to T5 and then the Hotel Hoppa or a free TfL bus.
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: