Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'treat yourself for less' : how long do offers last?

Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Varies

I received an email from BA at around 09.15 this morning inviting me to 'treat yourself for less' on an economy reward booking flight to Amsterdam. The email didn't show a price but I was curious, not necessarily because it's worth upgrading on such a short flight (and I have exit row seats already) but it's useful information for the future.

I noticed the email about an hour later, clicked on the link, and it took me to a webpage where I had to enter the booking reference number and my surname. The email I received this morning didn't show the booking reference number so I went to the app to find it. Despite booking the flight last week it still wasn't showing on the app so I gave up at that point.

An hour later I was able to log onto my executive club on the website where I could easily find the booking, but when I clicked on upgrades it said I couldn't upgrade with avios and I had to phone if I wanted to upgrade with cash.

Having just had more time, I reinstalled the app so the booking could be seen. I then clicked on the link on the upgrade email, expecting it to show the upgrade offer in the app if it wasn't showing on the website. But there was nothing.

I've given up on it now, but I'm wondering if, assuming there was a real 'treat yourself for less' offer in the first place, how quickly you need to respond. I'm not glued to my emails, but if I see one I expect the link in it to work , not to have to faff around with apps and websites to try to find booking reference number, go to manage my booking and then find there's no offer.

I feel like BA are sucking my energy. It's just annoying to get an email that takes you nowhere and doesn't include any useful information. Was I simply too slow?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Some recent chat on these emails here :

'Upgrade for less' email
BA email 'Treat yourself to something a little different'
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ttama
I then clicked on the link on the upgrade email, expecting it to show the upgrade offer in the app if it wasn't showing on the website. But there was nothing.
Are you sure you haven't just been 'phished'?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
Are you sure you haven't just been 'phished'?
It's possible, but it looked legitimate. Who knows.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ttama
It's possible, but it looked legitimate. Who knows.
They always look legitimate!

ALWAYS check who the sender is - not just what is displayed!

And don't click through links until you have checked that and if still not sure go direct to the website / app
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They always look legitimate!

ALWAYS check who the sender is - not just what is displayed!

And don't click through links until you have checked that and if still not sure go direct to the website / app
Yes, I can totally understand why it could be seen as a phishing email, given that the link only takes you to a 'manage my booking' page that requires you to enter a reference number and surname. It's so amateur it looks bogus. But it's actually from [email protected] . It's the same email address as the email containing the Executive Club magazine that I received later today. I traced the path and it has been validated as genuine.

Going directly to the website didn't help. The website didn't show the offer. The app didn't show the offer. It does make the email look like spam when in fact it isn't.

It seems a lot of us are getting these ridiculous emails from a legitimate BA source. And it's frustrating to have to spend so much time trying to find the offer they're referring to, then find it doesn't actually exist. Unless we are supposed to phone up to see if it's possible to upgrade, as the website suggested. Given that they're the ones trying to sell me something, I don't see why I should have to work so hard to find out how much they want to sell it for (probably way too much) or possibly even be refused an upgrade.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:26 am

The one question that still hasn't been answered is: less than what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.