Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

just became a blue again for the first time in a long time and......

Old Dec 4, 19, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue

...the company booked me HBO ticket to AMS.

Went to OLCI and was shocked that to be moved from the middle seat at the back they placed me in (even though lots of other seats available) I have to pay £19.

What on earth? No wonder BA is so unpopular.
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
The rule is clear when you book, if you're on an HBO fare you won't get to pick your seat, even at check-in. It's the BA equivalent of a Ryanair ticket. (I'm going to say this as tongue-in-cheek as possible, but don't expect a free snack or drink either )
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by irmster View Post
No wonder BA is so unpopular.
Unpopular with who? Their load factors and billion euro profits suggest that at least a small handful of people must still find them ok.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Welcome to the Blue club. Think of the positives and you'll be okay. ^
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Welcome to the Blue club. Think of the positives and you'll be okay. ^
Do please remind us of the positives of Blue-ness. I have long forgotten!

BTW, my sympathies to irmster
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Fair to say that the ‘positives’ (ahem) of Blue membership correlate directly to the amount of BA-flying required to achieve it
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you don't print your boarding pass - you may be able to get the self service check in machines to find a better seat for you tomorrow. Or ask an agent to take pity on you.

Some companies have deals with BA so that they can select seats for free on Basic fares, or have Basic priced corporate fares with some of the Plus fare benefits.

As for the benefits of being Blue, which is somewhat hypothetical in my case, the point is (to steal the words from another thread) your loyalty can be with your wallet. You are free to select the airline, the cabin, the sort of seat you want to pay for. £19 for a seat is probably less hassle than a INV-LHR-OTP-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-LAX-MIA-PTY rinse-and-repeat.
aceman, HIDDY, orbitmic and 14 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:16 am

HBO = no checked-in luggage and no seat selection. I believe that when it was first introduced, it was that for everyone. Now, people with status can select a seat. Oh yeah, and there's no free same-day change either, although on the route i typically fly (BSL-LHR) it's never been possible when I've tried anyway.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Do please remind us of the positives of Blue-ness. I have long forgotten! ...
The main one is probably that you don't have to fly as often and your quality of life can improve.
BearX220, scoonee, HIDDY and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:48 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
HBO = no checked-in luggage and no seat selection. I believe that when it was first introduced, it was that for everyone. Now, people with status can select a seat. Oh yeah, and there's no free same-day change either, although on the route i typically fly (BSL-LHR) it's never been possible when I've tried anyway.
That is interesting. LHR-BSL was my regular route for 10 years, then it became LHR-DUB/BFS. Now it is LHR-EDI - I make frequent use of the same day change (I tend to book the cheapest flight after the time I wish to leave, then bring it forward).This strategy has never let me down.....yet. Just watch, it will all go wrong this Friday!
adrianlondon, ppp909 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you don't print your boarding pass - you may be able to get the self service check in machines to find a better seat for you tomorrow. Or ask an agent to take pity on you.

Some companies have deals with BA so that they can select seats for free on Basic fares, or have Basic priced corporate fares with some of the Plus fare benefits.

As for the benefits of being Blue, which is somewhat hypothetical in my case, the point is (to steal the words from another thread) your loyalty can be with your wallet. You are free to select the airline, the cabin, the sort of seat you want to pay for. £19 for a seat is probably less hassle than a INV-LHR-OTP-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-LAX-MIA-PTY rinse-and-repeat.
Let me know how that itinerary prices out and how much TP it would get me
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Thysk View Post
Let me know how that itinerary prices out and how much TP it would get me
Can't see Helsinki in there. Poor effort really.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
just became a blue again for the first time in a long time …..
@irmster - Time for a profile update then?

If your flying again then Silver is obviously the sweet spot for many. Maybe you can time it to get 2 years worth?
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by irmster View Post
...the company booked me HBO ticket to AMS.

Went to OLCI and was shocked that to be moved from the middle seat at the back they placed me in (even though lots of other seats available) I have to pay £19.

What on earth? No wonder BA is so unpopular.
If you think seat fees on HBO are obnoxious, just wait until they put you in Club World and you have to pay £100+ for a reserved seat across the Atlantic!

Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
That perspective does put BA ahead of the American carriers who do not allow elites free (any?) seat selection on basic tickets.
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
If you think seat fees on HBO are obnoxious, just wait until they put you in Club World and you have to pay £100+ for a reserved seat across the Atlantic!
difference is that you can choose any seat at check in. HBO you canít.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: