Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

just became a blue again for the first time in a long time and......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

just became a blue again for the first time in a long time and......

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree they are a perfectly sensible carrier, and I do plenty of flying on them too. But the big differences I notice are - the seating policy (no Theoretical Seating there, they do cheerfully split up groups of travellers even if they don't have to do so); no wifi or power; no free water; no seat storage such as a back seat pocket whatsoever (particularly annoying for me); for flights in the afternoon onwards the lack of cleaning at turnarounds becomes really obvious; the use of pre-queuing before an aircraft has even landed, sometimes outside in the rain. BA can hold people on the jetbridge before boarding at some locations but on nothing like FR's scale. Then there are just a few differences between Stansted and Heathrow....Then FR only allow 1 bag as standard rather than 2, and their frequent flyer programme has some gaps compared to BA. This is all before status kicks in and gives a raft of further benefits to BA passengers.

So while I take this in my stride, and I like some of their incredible fares to incredible places, to say there aren't any differences between ET and Ryanair seems a stretch, in my view.
My recent flight with BA had no wifi, the free water looked revolting, the plane was filthy (despite it being an early morning departure ex-LHR), I had to pre-queue to try to avoid gate-checking bags, I could not sit next to the people I was travelling with [no HBO fares involved] and the 250 Avios I got doesn't move the needle. And it was very expensive.

But if you've got a blue card, there are no discretionary benefits from BA. For example, they seem to look the other way when someone from Boarding Group 1 has too much (non-compliant) carry-on -- but will then gate check your bag as you're in Group 4 (even though your bag is compliant). You get the worst seats (rather than it averaging out). In a way this is worse than Ryanair or EasyJet - you can't pay to improve your situation, and it sometimes feels like BA is providing discretionary benefits to other customers at the expense of regular customers of you (which is different to say giving a free drink to a gold member, which isn't disadvantaging a blue card holder).
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Yeah its changed a lot- there arent as many announcements or ads- its not the same as before. I legitimately do not see any difference between ET and Ryanair now.
I’d agree that - where the inflight product is concerned - the distinction has narrowed dramatically in recent years. But there are some notable differences : eg, am I right in saying that Ryanair now offer a little more legroom than BA (or at least when compared to BA’s 321 Neo’s ) ??

I continue to use BA short-haul regularly, including for routes that are served by FR (or indeed easyJet), provided fares compare favourably ; but that’s primarily because a) I have the benefit of lounge access at LHR/LGW, and b) public transport to LHR is somewhat easier for me than to LTN or STN. For many others, such criteria may not be determining factors, and that’s when BA can sometimes become second choice. Certainly far more business travellers use FR today than in the early days of the airline.

Seating / legroom apart, two other issues where I see increasingly little variance are the general state of the aircraft (a BA a/c is just as likely to be as clean or as scruffy / badly worn as any other carrier), and the often badly-managed boarding process. On the latter, FR and EZ do tend to be rather more zealous in policing priority boarding - even if there is often little to choose between all three when it comes to calling pax through the gate far too soon, only to then leave them to endure a significant period of time being ‘held‘, rather than seated promptly.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:55 am

£19 to pick a seat at check in!

You can get a half decent seat on Ryanair for about a fiver can't you?

Disagree on Ryanair boarding being worse than BA. Manchester T3 boarding for Heathrow flights is even worse than Ryanair as the gates that BA use don't even have any seating next to them and the same queueing before the plane has finished disembarking procedure applies.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
£19 to pick a seat at check in!
And thats £19 to pick one of the worst seats (rather than any unoccupied seat).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:24 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by squeeler
That is interesting. LHR-BSL was my regular route for 10 years, then it became LHR-DUB/BFS. Now it is LHR-EDI - I make frequent use of the same day change (I tend to book the cheapest flight after the time I wish to leave, then bring it forward).This strategy has never let me down.....yet. Just watch, it will all go wrong this Friday!
This is an interesting strategy... wouldn't this systematic use of SDC be picked up as abuse and somehow against T&C?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:02 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bil
This is an interesting strategy... wouldn't this systematic use of SDC be picked up as abuse and somehow against T&C?
Good question. Is it against T&Cs? The offer to change comes up on MMB and on the App after midnight on the day of the flight. Hard to see this as a violation, unlike some other strategies. I have never seen 'Would you like to drop the last leg of this itinerary?' for example. 😉
If it was a violation, I personally would no longer use it.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by bil
The danger is that they find an outsourcer who'll update the IT for a few pennies so that there's a US-style "free standby on the day" which is far less attractive (and a massive IT failure when the software turns out to be buggy).
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Fair to say that the ‘positives’ (ahem) of Blue membership correlate directly to the amount of BA-flying required to achieve it
One of the positives of being Blue is you dont attach your card to your laptop bag for all to see!!

ML
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
One of the positives of being Blue is you dont attach your card to your laptop bag for all to see!!
Good point.

One for the tier benefits ‘comparator’ tick box chart ...... ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.