Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Under discussion : points-based upgrade option offered across all OW carrier ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Could prove quite a game-changer and undoubtedly something to be welcomed by many BAEC account holders.

As reported by Executive Traveller - and based on official confirmation from OneWorld - an arrangement is currently being considered under which any Oneworld airline's frequent flyer points could be used for an upgrade on any other alliance member.

No fine details as yet, but a little more info here ..........

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ember-airlines
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:40 am
WLX

I would just be happy if I could upgrade using Avios (or at all) on tickets booked by my (mandatory) corporate travel agent.
Stez, xPositor and squawk like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WLX
I would just be happy if I could upgrade using Avios (or at all) on tickets booked by my (mandatory) corporate travel agent.
You can generally do UuAs on TA bookings, I think that changed around 2016. Is there some reason your bookings can’t be?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I don't know the 'official' answer but my experience has been hit and miss upgrading corp TA bookings. It doesn't just seem to be reward availability either. Could be it "should" always work but BA's site just doesn't play nicely, expect others can confirm that!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can generally do UuAs on TA bookings, I think that changed around 2016. Is there some reason your bookings can’t be?
Is it still the case that the ticket has to be issued in the country of your BAEC residence? That was always the problem when I used to try. Thinking about it I gave up trying years ago so maybe it's not a constraint any more.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by drwook
I don't know the 'official' answer but my experience has been hit and miss upgrading corp TA bookings. It doesn't just seem to be reward availability either. Could be it "should" always work but BA's site just doesn't play nicely, expect others can confirm that!
Tbh the website MMB function to do UuA is flaky so often it won’t work. Probably better just to call BA to do it.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Is it still the case that the ticket has to be issued in the country of your BAEC residence? That was always the problem when I used to try. Thinking about it I gave up trying years ago so maybe it's not a constraint any more.
I am not sure on this point. I think it used to be an issue but as you say it may have been relaxed now.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Now will this work with GUFs?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by subject2load
Could prove quite a game-changer and undoubtedly something to be welcomed by many BAEC account holders.
...Until they realise that it means that AA members flooded with promo miles from every possible random shop or credit card would be getting all of our award and upgrade space...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by alex67500
Now will this work with GUFs?
If so, it would work with AA SWUs, again not a game baec members would win...
alex67500 and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
Reasonably priced upgrades from most fares including deep discounted economy would be a significant change. OTOH, it won't be such a "game changer" if what happens is expensive upgrades in terms of points from only a small band of expensive fares (such as full flex fares only)
I would be inclined to think that the latter is far, far more likely than the former and I would estimate the likelihood of this turning into a damp squib at approx 98%, if it happens at all.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If so, it would work with AA SWUs, again not a game baec members would win...
I hadn't thought of that... You're probably right!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Think they should keep it simple and people just allowed to use their miles to upgrade and forget about anything else like SWUs, 2-4-1 etc etc etc

How would AA pay BA for example if some one used an AA upgade voucher?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
With the already scarce upgrade space on BA, I'm not sure I'd welcome this being opened up to other OW members and their points.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by manord
With the already scarce upgrade space on BA, I'm not sure I'd welcome this being opened up to other OW members and their points.
A very valid concern !

In principle, the idea of buying a Y class ticket for, say, a CX, QR, or JL flight, and then being able to upgrade to a J seat with Avios would be very attractive to many BAEC members. Currently that’s just not possible at all and so the OW proposals as reported are of interest. But the practicalities, space availability, and T & C’s are of course what will ultimately determine just how beneficial such a policy change might be.
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.