Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty of Care - weather related

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Duty of Care - weather related

Hi, I am trying to stay ahead of the curve here and just want to double check on BA's Duty of Care to pax regarding weather delays.

Mrs PAL62V is due to fly out of EWR on Monday evening and the forecast is looking pretty bad. Can I just confirm that if the worst happens and the flight is delayed overnight, that BA are required to either provide her with a hotel room (and transport to/from airport) or if she finds her own, anything up to £200 is refundable? And I assume any reasonable food costs (not incl alcohol)?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, that’s more or less what she can expect.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, that’s more or less what she can expect.
Great - tx for the quick response. I don't want to send her the wrong ideas. Last thing we need is a DYKWIA moment....
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Great - tx for the quick response. I don't want to send her the wrong ideas. Last thing we need is a DYKWIA moment....
Your tone is anything but... Yes they have to take care of people even when it's out of their control. They have insurances for that.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Be aware that "duty of care" doesn't mean that BA can conjure up hundreds of hotel rooms near EWR for those patiently waiting in a queue. If BA is affected, then passengers on every other airline are also scrambling to find a room...

Stay close to updates on the inbound aircraft, etc. and be ready to book your own hotel.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Be aware that "duty of care" doesn't mean that BA can conjure up hundreds of hotel rooms near EWR for those patiently waiting in a queue. If BA is affected, then passengers on every other airline are also scrambling to find a room...

Stay close to updates on the inbound aircraft, etc. and be ready to book your own hotel.
Yes, that's basically what I also mentioned to her. I'm sure it'll all end up being fine but I'd rather she knows what her rights are than be possibly shoved around by a harassed agent who has 100 upset passengers to deal with. In the end, those rooms will go and she may end up sleeping in the terminal, Tom Hanks style.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Yes, that's basically what I also mentioned to her. I'm sure it'll all end up being fine but I'd rather she knows what her rights are than be possibly shoved around by a harassed agent who has 100 upset passengers to deal with. In the end, those rooms will go and she may end up sleeping in the terminal, Tom Hanks style.
Knowing which hotels are around beforehand helps, but if she has to sleep in the terminal Tom Hanks style at least she'll be airside so might be able to sleep in a lounge!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
By far the best option at EWR is the Marriott, not only because it is on the property, but the rooms are actually ok. Everything else is a shuttle bus ride away, which means a ride on the toy train to the shuttle bus stop, waiting, then driving to some grim place that will almost make you wish you had stayed in the terminal. I hate being stuck in EWR when the Marriott is full and will usually either go back into town or get further away from the airport. Weather not looking great so good luck. Marriott is showing a rate of $332 at this point.
redpalmetto and PAL62V like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
Knowing which hotels are around beforehand helps, but if she has to sleep in the terminal Tom Hanks style at least she'll be airside so might be able to sleep in a lounge!
WT+ and lowly Blue I'm afraid. Of course, I would have guested her if I was there....
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
NJ hotels should be easy to reach from EWR right? Expect them to be more modestly priced than USD 332+ for a room...
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Lots of sub-$150 Hilton options, or at least there were when I looked earlier. We'll see what happens if there's a big influx in a few hours.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SK AAR
NJ hotels should be easy to reach from EWR right? Expect them to be more modestly priced than USD 332+ for a room...
Most of them are dire dumps.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Problem is getting to them. Last year the surprise storm resulted in no traffic moving anywhere near to EWR so none of the hotels could be reached. She was stranded but at least inside the terminal. Unlike the flight after hers that sat on the tarmac for five hours after landing.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

So with yesterday's ice and today's snow, apparently EWR were looking for people willing to postpone their flights for a day. Seeing she's staying with friends, the OH made a free change to the next day. Only cost is another day's car hire so all in all, she is happy.
HIDDY and alex67500 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.