Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Customer Guidelines - "Rebook any other carrier prime flight"

Old Dec 1, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Hi Flyertalk

My summer evening flight from an EU destination to LGW has been cancelled, and BA is offering a replacement flight ~9 hours earlier, which simply isn't suitable.

The "Standard customer guidelines" at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...mer-guidelines have an Option 10, which I would interpret to mean I could be rebooked on another carrier to fly out in the evening (any of AF, KL, LH, EI or U2 would do the trick), albeit on a 1-stop basis.

The phone agent says Option 10 applies to IB only (even though its mentioned in earlier options), and so says my options are only to (1) fly in the morning, (2) fly in the morning, but via Madrid, or (3) cancel. The agent has now annotated my booking and told me to call Customer Services to see if there's anything else that can be done.

Am I out of luck here? Or is there a realistic chance they will move on this? This trip is 6 months away: if they don't move, with CEDR be worth a shot?

Option 10 - Rebook any other carrier

Rebook any other carrier prime flight

RoutingMust be same point of origin and destination via any country

Period

Within 24hrs of original cancelled flight

Allowance

Rebook into the lowest class available in same cabin
If same cabin not available may rebook into a lower cabin and ticket will need to be recalculated for any refund post-travel

Important information

Applicable for any carriers ticket issued for the BA cancelled flight
Only available for rebook through BA Contact Centres

For Trade bookings you ay use BA Trade Support line for assistance
BA must have an interline ticketing agreement with the other carrier
Only rebook onto the Prime flight code, do not use codeshare
Must add OS**INVOL REROUTE IATA 735D ( ** = the two letter code of the carrier)
May include a change of airports in the same city
If connecting flights are on the same ticket, rebook using BA,JB or OC Prime up to the same point of origin and destination

Old Dec 1, 19, 8:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have a feeling that section applies if none of the above would work. For example a location where BA was the one and only oneworld carrier - and there are not many of those. Among the other 9 options there is a refund option (are the other airlines cost effective for that choice?), rerouting via nearby airports and indeed the IB option.

As to whether you would have a case as far as CEDR or MCOL is concerned, I think it would depend on the specific timings involved and what could be judged to be a reasonable alternative. But essentially airlines are allowed to cancel services and rebook people on to different times, they do have to provide alternative services as well as a refund option. So in the absence of the details, I suspect you would struggle on that one. If there were very specific reasons for the timings (e.g. a cruise ship involved) and an OAL (to use the jargon) was the only realistic option then it may be another matter.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I have a feeling that section applies if none of the above would work. For example a location where BA was the one and only oneworld carrier - and there are not many of those. Among the other 9 options there is a refund option (are the other airlines cost effective for that choice?), rerouting via nearby airports and indeed the IB option.

As to whether you would have a case as far as CEDR or MCOL is concerned, I think it would depend on the specific timings involved and what could be judged to be a reasonable alternative. But essentially airlines are allowed to cancel services and rebook people on to different times, they do have to provide alternative services as well as a refund option. So in the absence of the details, I suspect you would struggle on that one. If there were very specific reasons for the timings (e.g. a cruise ship involved) and an OAL (to use the jargon) was the only realistic option then it may be another matter.
Thanks for this!

It's a flight from BOD, with new flight at 09.55 (instead of 18.45). I'm not staying in Bordeaux the night before, so the 09.55 departure means (a) leaving at 04.30 in the morning to deal with traffic, and (b) no lunch/early afternoon in Bordeaux.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
To be honest if you are happy flying eg U2, why not book U2 and get a refund from BA of the (presumably return) segment? You will probably be quids in assuming a cash booking, and assuming U2 is reasonable it sounds like far less faff than CEDR. YMMV.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abligh View Post
To be honest if you are happy flying eg U2, why not book U2 and get a refund from BA of the (presumably return) segment? You will probably be quids in assuming a cash booking, and assuming U2 is reasonable it sounds like far less faff than CEDR. YMMV.
It's an Avios redemption, and EasyJet has just increased prices, so it's not exactly a bargain for me!
Old Dec 1, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
BA wouldn't be able to rebook you on U2 even if they were to offer you rebooking under option 10, you'd be looking at going via e.g. CDG on AF (or, more likely, AF connecting to BA... ugh)
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no good precedential case holding that a carrier has an EC 261/2004 obligation to rebook OA.

Putting aside U2 and FR as neither interlines with BA, flights departing BOD on other carriers around the time of your original flight appear to require an overnight connection along the way.

It is possible that BA might rebook onto one of those if you specified the exact connection and agreed that this is a voluntary reroute not requiring a duty of care, e.g. paid hotel.
Old Dec 1, 19, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no good precedential case holding that a carrier has an EC 261/2004 obligation to rebook OA.

Putting aside U2 and FR as neither interlines with BA, flights departing BOD on other carriers around the time of your original flight appear to require an overnight connection along the way.

It is possible that BA might rebook onto one of those if you specified the exact connection and agreed that this is a voluntary reroute not requiring a duty of care, e.g. paid hotel.
There's a german case from the LG Landshut, which might be worth reading : https://www.gesetze-bayern.de/Conten...119133?hl=true

It has to be read in connection with AG Bremen, Urt. v. 27.07.2015, Az.: 25 C 41/15 as a basis for a legal argument..
Old Dec 1, 19, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
It's an Avios redemption, and EasyJet has just increased prices, so it's not exactly a bargain for me!
This is a significant extra detail. BA's redemption tickets cannot be endorsed over to other airlines without sign-off from supervisors, who typically won't do it if there is a valid alternative. If Aer Lingus actually has redemption availability then you may be able to take that option forward.

Ryanair and easyJet have very different GDS and are in any case not members of IATA, so wouldn't be eligible for this option anyway.
Old Dec 1, 19, 5:40 pm

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but have somewhat relevant question.
BA cancelled my LGW-CAG flight and rebooked me to day later. While not a major issue I would still prefer to travel on my originally chosen date. I saw this on the list

Option 7 - change of gateway BA - any route
IB, AA, AY, JL - Joint Business operated route

Routing Reroute to an alternative gateway within 300 miles radius of the original point of origin or destination
Would they change my outbound to LGW-NAP, which I believe is just under 300 miles? And leave inbound as it is?
Of course with current shuffling it's not given that flights to NAP will stick to current schedule.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flyslow View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but have somewhat relevant question.
BA cancelled my LGW-CAG flight and rebooked me to day later. While not a major issue I would still prefer to travel on my originally chosen date. I saw this on the list

Would they change my outbound to LGW-NAP, which I believe is just under 300 miles? And leave inbound as it is?
Of course with current shuffling it's not given that flights to NAP will stick to current schedule.
in those cases just call and ask. Iíll be surprised if they say no.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
LG Landshut is already a higher court.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
in those cases just call and ask. Iíll be surprised if they say no.
Thank you, will give them a call
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Originally Posted by want2fly4less View Post
There's a german case from the LG Landshut, which might be worth reading : https://www.gesetze-bayern.de/Conten...119133?hl=true

It has to be read in connection with AG Bremen, Urt. v. 27.07.2015, Az.: 25 C 41/15 as a basis for a legal argument..
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
LG Landshut is already a higher court.
Thanks for all this! I'm hoping to deal with this on the basis that BA should follow its stated policy and rebook me, rather than on an Ec261 argument. But if it ends up being taken further, then it will definitely be helpful as I will want to make both policy and 261 arguments.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
This is a significant extra detail. BA's redemption tickets cannot be endorsed over to other airlines without sign-off from supervisors, who typically won't do it if there is a valid alternative. If Aer Lingus actually has redemption availability then you may be able to take that option forward.

Ryanair and easyJet have very different GDS and are in any case not members of IATA, so wouldn't be eligible for this option anyway.
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
BA wouldn't be able to rebook you on U2 even if they were to offer you rebooking under option 10, you'd be looking at going via e.g. CDG on AF (or, more likely, AF connecting to BA... ugh)

Thanks for all this!

There's an 18.15 AF service to CDG which can connect onto something going to LHR that same night, and that would be the least worst outcome for me. The alternative would be a 16.35 EI service to DUB, connecting onto something to London, but I don't think there's redemption availability there.

Ultimately I cannot accept BA's offer of a morning flight. So if they refuse to budge its a choice between booking U2 now and seeking reimbursement, or waiting it out and hoping the cedr says they must rebook me (and if they don't, then I need to buy the U2 ticket anyway, and it's likely more expensive then, but travel insurance might help). Not ideal!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: