FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Car Rental Young Driver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1997624-ba-car-rental-young-driver.html)

theultimateflyer Dec 1, 19 3:37 am

BA Car Rental Young Driver

Hi all,

I was recently looking at a car rental online through BA.com. As a driver below the age of 25 Iím usually subject to young driver surcharges from most rental companies. Does anyone know if these charges are included in the BA.com quote?

i entered my DOB in my search and a box popped up saying the surcharges were included in the quote. However when moving to the booking page, the fine print says the surcharge is payable at the rental office and not included in the BA.com quote. Does anyone know which is correct? Thinking of calling BA to find out but figured maybe someone here would have an idea and save me spending time on hold.

If relevant, Iím looking at rentals from YVR.

cheers,
TUF

wilsnunn Dec 1, 19 3:56 am

From recollection the prices shown did not include the young driver surcharge.

T8191 Dec 1, 19 4:17 am

From the other end of the telescope, I’m now over 75 and have to input my birth date (on both Avis/BA and Avis direct). I’ve done a dummy booking lying about my advanced years, and seen the same prices. Whether that’s influenced by being Avis Preferred or BAEC Gold I have no idea!

kingcole974 Dec 1, 19 7:50 am

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer (Post 31792248)
Hi all,

I was recently looking at a car rental online through BA.com. As a driver below the age of 25 Iím usually subject to young driver surcharges from most rental companies. Does anyone know if these charges are included in the BA.com quote?

i entered my DOB in my search and a box popped up saying the surcharges were included in the quote. However when moving to the booking page, the fine print says the surcharge is payable at the rental office and not included in the BA.com quote. Does anyone know which is correct? Thinking of calling BA to find out but figured maybe someone here would have an idea and save me spending time on hold.

If relevant, Iím looking at rentals from YVR.

cheers,
TUF

I would take a screenshot of the screen showing that the surcharges are included. If after showing this to the rental desk they still charge, then Iíd follow it up with BA on your return

'andad Dec 1, 19 10:52 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31792306)
From the other end of the telescope, Iím now over 75 and have to input my birth date (on both Avis/BA and Avis direct). Iíve done a dummy booking lying about my advanced years, and seen the same prices. Whether thatís influenced by being Avis Preferred or BAEC Gold I have no idea!

I've found the same. Doesn't seem to affect the price even when the booking has refused my Avis Preferred number.

wilsnunn Dec 1, 19 2:15 pm

From the other end of the telescope, Iím now over 75 and have to input my birth date (on both Avis/BA and Avis direct). Iíve done a dummy booking lying about my advanced years, and seen the same prices. Whether thatís influenced by being Avis Preferred or BAEC Gold I have no idea!

In my experience, having drivers over the age of 75 has never been an issue but the moment a driver is younger than 25 the young driver fee makes the rental very much more expensive. The young driver surcharge was so much that I only started renting cars regularly this year now that I am 25, before that I never bothered.

rapidex Dec 1, 19 4:33 pm

Wait until you reach 85 and see how much trouble you have with car rental.

T8191 Dec 1, 19 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31794079)
Wait until you reach 85 and see how much trouble you have with car rental.

Thanks! Iíve noticed travel insurance starts to get difficult at 80 too. :(

theultimateflyer Dec 2, 19 2:54 am

Thanks for all the responses all. ultimately I found a cheaper alternative using a car-share company, so won't be pursuing this further. However, I suspect it's a typo saying the prices include the surcharge, and in fact it is not included in the quotes.

'andad Dec 2, 19 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31794791)
Thanks! Iíve noticed travel insurance starts to get difficult at 80 too. :(

Indeed, Aviva will disown me after 79. Travelled very frequently for 60 years, never made a claim, but Aviva have already taken a dislike to me. e.g.Per the t&c's I informed them 2 years ago of a 1mm benign cyst and they added £96 to my premium for what i saw as a zero risk. On renewal it was still listed, and when I said it had been removed, confirmed benign, my annual renewal was reduced by £4. The explanation "our risks are calculated daily and will vary". Mmmm. I hope the "EU medical agreement" continues after Brexit as Europe may be the only place we can go.