Search

BA and Berlin-Brandenburg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Easyjet will be in T1.
T2 is not really an LCC Terminal
With Vueling, Norwegian, Eurowings and Wizz Air, I'd say that T2 is very much a low-cost terminal.

Easyjet being in T1 reflects its status as a major domestic airline and the top airline in Berlin.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
First of all, I would like to tell you that during the airport change in IST, I had tickets that I bought as Atatürk Airport and ended up with Istanbul Airport and BA did not offer a free cancellation, nor a free change and told me that the regular fare rules would apply.

BER may be different as the code would change from TXL to BER while in the movement in IST, the IATA code stayed the same.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
First of all, I would like to tell you that during the airport change in IST, I had tickets that I bought as Atatürk Airport and ended up with Istanbul Airport and BA did not offer a free cancellation, nor a free change and told me that the regular fare rules would apply.

BER may be different as the code would change from TXL to BER while in the movement in IST, the IATA code stayed the same.
No, situation in Berlin is the same. IATA code loosely changing (all Berlin airports are also known as BER at the moment) doesn’t make a difference.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
With Vueling, Norwegian, Eurowings and Wizz Air, I'd say that T2 is very much a low-cost terminal.
Wjhat I meant is that several items of the operating costs such as waiting room chrges, baggage handling etc. are significantly lower in T5 than in T1/2 so that makes T5 a lower-cost terminal to operate out of than T1/2.

If access to T5 remains the same as it is now (SXF) then this will continue to be a sub-standard (low-cost) experience - access to T1/2 is the same, improved in both cases with direct underground access from trains etc. rather than a half-mile walk from Schönefeld station.

Looks to me like T1 and T2 are directly adjoined equivalents with the same new quality whereas T5 will still be the other side of the airfield with the same dated and ghastly airside infrastructure we have been able to enjoy under the nomenclature of SXF, a truly low-cost terminal.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, situation in Berlin is the same. IATA code loosely changing (all Berlin airports are also known as BER at the moment) doesn’t make a difference.
i think (and i state that im not entirely sure) that this is not correct.

TXL is Tegel
SXF is Schönefeld
BER is Berlin Brandenburg Airport (was known as BBI some 10 years ago)

also BER is the area code. (comparable to NYC for LGA, JFK and EWR)

right now in search engines you have to use "BER" cause some airlines already switched flights to BER past November 8 (like BA) and some didnt (like AY or IB)
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

As this doc https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...15(01)&from=EN linked to before makes clear, a switch of airport in the same city is treated as a delay not a cancellation. As such there is little burden put on the airline if the time changes are minimal and notice is given, and no requirement to offer refunds. But Art 8(3) applies.

The process of the change is important. If BA created the BER flights, then later cancelled the TXL flights and moved passengers, that would be refund-eligible. Earlier in the doc it explains a cancellation occurs when passengers are moved to a previous-contemplated independent flight.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nephoi
i think (and i state that im not entirely sure) that this is not correct.

TXL is Tegel
SXF is Schönefeld
BER is Berlin Brandenburg Airport (was known as BBI some 10 years ago)

also BER is the area code. (comparable to NYC for LGA, JFK and EWR)

right now in search engines you have to use "BER" cause some airlines already switched flights to BER past November 8 (like BA) and some didnt (like AY or IB)
Well yes, except that BER is both the city code and a specific (not yet online) airport, which is n either the case for NYC, TYO, PAR, LON, etc
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Wjhat I meant is that several items of the operating costs such as waiting room chrges, baggage handling etc. are significantly lower in T5 than in T1/2 so that makes T5 a lower-cost terminal to operate out of than T1/2.
T2 has no own gates. I haven't read about pricing but it would certainly make sense if airport charges were a bit lower there. And, after all, it's mostly LCC that will be using it.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Stuttgart21
T2 has no own gates. I haven't read about pricing but it would certainly make sense if airport charges were a bit lower there. And, after all, it's mostly LCC that will be using it.
As far as I know, there wouldn't be jetbridges in T2 but there would be bus gates dedicated for T2.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:54 am
Suspended

As far as I know, there wouldn't be jetbridges in T2 but there would be bus gates dedicated for T2.
Is that bussing with electric buses using green power?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardwft
I have no information if the buses at BER would be electric buses or if they would be the same buses that they use in TXL and SXF.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richardwft
Eventually, I suspect yes. Curious about the question though!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
My AA Ticket for January with BA codeshare LHR-TXL changed to BER bcs BA changed the airport and now this leg is disappeared on the AA Ticket.
Perfect beginning....like the BER
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by denkigroove
My AA Ticket for January with BA codeshare LHR-TXL changed to BER bcs BA changed the airport and now this leg is disappeared on the AA Ticket.
Perfect beginning....like the BER
Not sure what your issue is. TXL will be closed in January, and BER is the new airport. Take it up with AA. BA did not change the airport.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not sure what your issue is. TXL will be closed in January, and BER is the new airport. Take it up with AA. BA did not change the airport.
The issue is that this airport switch should happen without a problem and not crash the ticket. Like search&replace TXL to BER
pauldb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.