Delays due to restricted airspace

Old Nov 30, 19, 4:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Epsom, Surrey
Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club, Emirates Skywards, Langham 1865, Marriott Rewards, Prioirty C
Posts: 1,007
Delays due to restricted airspace

Just boarded 417 in Lux. Showing on time but they've said we won't get to take off for an hour due to airspace restrictions. Anyone know what's going on today?
dobba is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:07 am
  #2  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Posts: 666
From Eurocontrol Tactical update:

Aerodromes

EGLL (Heathrow)
Arrivals regulated due to forecast Low Visibility.
Moderate to high delays.

EGLC (London City)
Arrivals regulated due to Low Visibility.
High delays.

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...pec/index.html
dobba likes this.
BarneyMcGrew is online now  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 148
Fog I imagine - visibility was dreadful here in Berkshire so not surprising LHR is impacted.

It's starting to lift a bit now though.
dobba and ahmetdouas like this.
Bohinjska Bistrica is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:13 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Epsom, Surrey
Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club, Emirates Skywards, Langham 1865, Marriott Rewards, Prioirty C
Posts: 1,007
Thanks
dobba is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,507
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Fog I imagine - visibility was dreadful here in Berkshire so not surprising LHR is impacted.

It's starting to lift a bit now though.
Looks like at least some of the inbounds to LCY this morning diverted to SEN and are now waiting for clearance to re-position.

An unwelcome reminder for me of the unpredictability of LCY in winter. Flying to MUC ans GVA from there in coming weeks.
dobba likes this.
aristoph is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:21 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Epsom, Surrey
Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club, Emirates Skywards, Langham 1865, Marriott Rewards, Prioirty C
Posts: 1,007
Nice to see cabin crew handing out tap water in economy cabin while we're waiting
dobba is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,507
Originally Posted by dobba View Post
Nice to see cabin crew handing out tap water in economy cabin while we're waiting
You must be on Luxair then I guess? lol
aristoph is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:50 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 183
I was on the flight from MUC that got diverted to SEN this morning. The 3rd time I've been diverted there in the past 3 months. So tedious.
hartwith is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 5:00 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,218
Yes it was very foggy this morning at LHR. At various points you couldnít see T5B from A.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 30, 19, 7:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,665
Was there any de-icing involved? It was a very cold night near Heathrow, -2c which caused the mist.
ahmetdouas is online now  
Old Nov 30, 19, 9:36 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Posts: 7,399
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Was there any de-icing involved? It was a very cold night near Heathrow, -2c which caused the mist.
flew on an 8am on Friday and the wings had the green de-icing fluid on it when we boarded so de-icing has been taken place for a few days.
chris1979 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 9:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,475
Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
I was on the flight from MUC that got diverted to SEN this morning. The 3rd time I've been diverted there in the past 3 months. So tedious.
LCY is a great little airport when it works, but it tends to go from great to disastrous in an instant. No intermediate steps of not-so-greatness in between.
LCY8737 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,843
Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
I was on the flight from MUC that got diverted to SEN this morning. The 3rd time I've been diverted there in the past 3 months. So tedious.
Donít BA CF have a framework agreement in place with a local to SEN luxury coach operator for getting passengers from SEN to LCY in these diversion circumstances, or are such reasonable measures unthinkable?
richardwft is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 11:27 am
  #14  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 41,761
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Donít BA CF have a framework agreement in place with a local to SEN luxury coach operator for getting passengers from SEN to LCY in these diversion circumstances, or are such reasonable measures unthinkable?
Missed opportunity I would say. Broadly a coach hire is £100 an hour, perhaps a bit more late at night, so let's say £200 for the 75 minute trip, but BA is OK to pay £50 for taxi fees - and sometimes more - for those sent to SEN or STN needing to get to London. So really it would save BA money to have such a coach on standby. However, there will be people like me who won't want to wait until the last person with a non European passport has negotiated entry into the UK from the friendly officers of the Border Force, collected vast amounts of checked luggage, had a smoke, gone to the WC (etc) who would therefore wreck the economics.
richardwft and HighwayToHEL like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Nov 30, 19, 11:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,843
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Missed opportunity I would say. Broadly a coach hire is £100 an hour, perhaps a bit more late at night, so let's say £200 for the 75 minute trip, but BA is OK to pay £50 for taxi fees - and sometimes more - for those sent to SEN or STN needing to get to London. So really it would save BA money to have such a coach on standby. However, there will be people like me who won't want to wait until the last person with a non European passport has negotiated entry into the UK from the friendly officers of the Border Force, collected vast amounts of checked luggage, had a smoke, gone to the WC (etc) who would therefore wreck the economics.
Would you wait on the coach for other passengers if they offered complimentary WiFi and complimentary tea/ coffee/ water?
What happens at AGP when a BA GIB flight is diverted because of high winds, are coaches provided?
richardwft is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: