FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best side for are/dep Victoria Falls airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1997426-best-side-dep-victoria-falls-airport.html)

flygod Nov 29, 2019 11:05 am

Best side for are/dep Victoria Falls airport

Hi,

Got flights booked with BA's Comair franchise JNB-VFA in January.

I know the runway will depend on wind direction, but which side might give us the best views?

Of JNB or VFA!

T8191 Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

You could try the Africa forum ... you’re likely to get more experienced inputs there.

Skipcool3 Nov 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Hope it rains... conditions not good at the moment

nancypants Nov 29, 2019 1:41 pm

TBQH having been to both I would temper my expectations of getting a view of the falls. LVI you’re best on the right side, although the falls are a way away and given the drought not that visible. VFA it could go either way, you’re a bit closer but still not a great view

I know some of the airlines supposedly do “fly bys” to give a better view- Comair appears to not be one of them

(edit: sorry misread OP and didn’t realise flights were already booked)

TheBigY Nov 29, 2019 1:50 pm

As you said, it depends on the wind direction, it'll either be the left or the right, that being said, broadly speaking the falls are to the right of the town of Victoria Falls, especially when coming from the south, and with JNB, just don't expect any views, the airport is far from the city, but if at all you might get some views from the right, once again.

flygod Dec 1, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi,

Follow-up question:

Looks like we'll have to get a Zim visa on arrival - and so good to get off the aircraft ASAP.

Do they put stairs at the back at VFA, or do Comair do upgrade promotions?

(The seat map seems to show just one row of economy behind Club and before the wing, so we'd have to sit either side for a view! Or go down the back and maybe queue for ages for a visa!)

Flygeblad Dec 1, 2019 4:05 pm

[QUOTEit'll either be the left or the right][/QUOTE]

Glad we got that established. :)

nancypants Dec 1, 2019 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by flygod (Post 31793959)
Hi,

Follow-up question:

Looks like we'll have to get a Zim visa on arrival - and so good to get off the aircraft ASAP.

Do they put stairs at the back at VFA, or do Comair do upgrade promotions?

(The seat map seems to show just one row of economy behind Club and before the wing, so we'd have to sit either side for a view! Or go down the back and maybe queue for ages for a visa!)

the seat map is a bit dubious, the wing is around row 10-11-12, economy starts from row 6 so you’ve got a decent block of seats. They do upgrade promotions sporadically, I never got one for any of my flights and club was basically empty on all of them

DorsetKnob Dec 1, 2019 10:44 pm

I'd just hire a little plane when you get there for a flight over the falls. When I was there a while back hiring for a flight over the falls was cheap as chips. Definitely worth doing but I understand the falls are massively diminished at the moment.

flygod Dec 2, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31794309)
the seat map is a bit dubious, the wing is around row 10-11-12, economy starts from row 6

6,7 &8 blocked out for the moment - theoretical seating?

nancypants Dec 2, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by flygod (Post 31796316)
6,7 &8 blocked out for the moment - theoretical seating?

I wouldn’t expect so this far out, did you check expertflyer?