Holding flights - beyond 72 hours?

Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Holding flights - beyond 72 hours?

Morning!

Is it ever possible to extend the hold period for flights? I held some yesterday which I need to confirm by Sunday, but it would really help if I could have until Monday to confirm (travel partner and I will be on separate continents and can't really discuss plans until Sunday).

I'll be at Heathrow this afternoon for an evening flight, in case it's easier done at the airport than on the phone online.

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I don't think it's possible to extend the hold in any way, I certainly have not found such a facility.

A couple of options spring to mind.

a) If the flights are still available at the held price, make a new hold booking that covers Monday in its 72hr period. This will obviously lose you the 5/10 GBP per person from the original.

b) The 24 hour refund period apparently does apply after the 72 hour hold booking is paid, so if your timings work you could pay for the flights after 71.5 hours, and then use that following 24 hours period to discuss if you want to keep them. If not, apply for the full refund.

Some links discussing the applicability of the 24 hour refund window on a hold booking:

Does 24 hour cancellation apply after 72 hour hold?

24 Hour Cooling Off Period
The_Editor likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Amazing! Thanks [MENTION=875423]BertieBadger[/MENTION]! Perfect, I was toying with option A, but hadn't thought of option B - THANKS!
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: QF WP
Not quite the same question but to save me making a thread- I take it there are no changes possible to held bookings? I have some SYD-SIN-LHR held but need to add -LBA legs and also a car...
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by nancypants
Not quite the same question but to save me making a thread- I take it there are no changes possible to held bookings? I have some SYD-SIN-LHR held but need to add -LBA legs and also a car...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but see this post by Anonba

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31290448-post4.html

In essence, once the flight is held it can't be changed
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but see this post by Anonba

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31290448-post4.html

In essence, once the flight is held it can't be changed
its ok, thats what I thought but you never know

the price is still the same so I only lose like 10 or something and adding a car makes it a holiday which gives a longer but more expensive hold period
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by The_Editor
Morning!

Is it ever possible to extend the hold period for flights?
For flights?

Or for tickets?

(I'd hate to be waiting on board for 3 days for you to show up!)
The_Editor and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
For flights?

Or for tickets?

(I'd hate to be waiting on board for 3 days for you to show up!)
72 hours in the Bovingdon stack, dont mind if I do 😉
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:55 pm

Just bear in mind if you want to cancel under the 24h cooling off after the 72 hr hold, you will most likely need to do this on the phone - in my experience the online option treats it as out of cooling off so you do not want to make that mistake as you’ll likely only be refunded the taxes. Would be very messy and potentially impossible to rectify if you press the button by mistake. So make sure you are not cancelling close to deadline when the office is closed.. good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.