Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios booking and Normal Cash Booking Challenges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan

Hi all,

I'm in need of some assistance - I have a flight from LAX-LHR in mid December, in PE, which I booked a while ago as the return leg of a flight. Now, a friend is going to join me to visit London for a few days. I was only able to get an economy seat for my friend with avios, which I booked. I have a few questions which I'd love some thoughts on!

- If I switch a BA avios booking to a different class or route, do they do that without charge? I'm currently silver. I'm hoping a seat in PE opens up
- I called and asked if I could reserve a seat, but I was told no; As I booked with my avios points I was hoping I could reserve a seat. Any way I can?
- If I cant get them a PE seat, who is best to ask about me sitting with them in economy? Check in, the gate or onboard?

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
1. No there would be a charge to be paid. I believe this is $55
2. As a Silver you are entitled to free seat assignment on booking. Go to MMB and select your preferred seat.
3. You could cancel and rebook if there is availability with your friend. If no availability it may be worth a call to the Executive Club to see if they can assist.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Thanks for the reply - to your points:

1 - Ok. Thats a shame!
2 - My friend doesn't have status and is on a booking by themselves so when I go into that booking MMB, its just paid options
3 - I actually meant when I'm at the airport - I don't think I'd end up saving money by cancelling my flight and booking an economy seat
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
2. If you had booked together you would have been able to. If separate bookings there will be a charge.
3. You could try. Never did this myself. If the person sitting next to them is willing and you speak to Cabin Crew it may well be possible.
greenmeadie likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by greenmeadie
Hi all,

...<snip>...
- If I cant get them a PE seat, who is best to ask about me sitting with them in economy? Check in, the gate or onboard?

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback!
One option would be when boarding to offer your seat in PE to the person sitting next to your friend. In economy. If they are travelling on their own then I am sure they would welcome the free upgrade to PE so you could enjoy the time with your friend.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just to make it clear that your silver seat selection (and other benefits) would only have applied to your friend if you both had been on the same booking (so same flights and cabin) right from the start.

You booking the. a separate flight from your account does not get them your status benefits even if you paid for the ticket hence why you are being asked to pay to select their seat.

The best you can hope for is a reward seat opening up to get them into PE and then hoping that the seat next to you is empty at OLCI or there is an empty pair in the cabin.

as to self downgrading I would do this on board via the cabin crew rather than just approaching the person sat next to your friend.
greenmeadie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.