Skip last segment MCO > LGW > LHR > DUB

Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Skip last segment MCO > LGW > LHR > DUB

Not seeing the usual J prices for next years flight I'm use to LGW > MCO unless I start the trip in DUB. The return would be MCO > LGW and then LHR > DUB.

Could I opt to not travel the LHR > DUB flight without a fee? Especially as the baggage wouldn't be checked from MCO to DUB anyway?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes you can. A millions threads pointing out the possible risks / worse case scenarios.

Dropping last leg of itinerary
Dropping last leg ex-EU
Dropping last leg of Ex EU
OK to drop final leg of my trip?
Dropping Last Leg: How To Actually Do It?
Dropped last sector moral dilemma
Punished for skipping leg(s) on a BA ex-EU-ticket?
[Dropping the ex-EU] Last Leg - Forum info
FlyerTalker68098 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
You'll get loads of advice on here. As long as your onward flight is from Heathrow, your bags will be checked to Gatwick.. collect them and, ahem, get stuck in the traffic/miss the train/do a sickie. Miss the last leg a few times, I doubt anything will happen (this from experience). Do it every month might be different. Just make sure you are booked into Gatwick and out from Heathrow/City.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Why not price up the trip ending in LGW?

Remember that if there are irrops BA's obligation is to get you to DUB as your final destination not London.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Why not price up the trip ending in LGW?

Remember that if there are irrops BA's obligation is to get you to DUB as your final destination not London.
It reduces the saving to the points I wonder if it is worth it. Hell of a point on the DUB obligation which I had not considered.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by OrlandoSwan
It reduces the saving to the points I wonder if it is worth it. Hell of a point on the DUB obligation which I had not considered.
I would say the savings always add up. In the (highly) unlikely event that you end up at DUB; a day-of ticket to return would likely still come in cheaper than ending at DUB.

I have never had an issue skipping last leg; just keep it infrequent.

Last edited by YacozA; Nov 26, 2019 at 6:53 am Reason: Spelling is hard.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by OrlandoSwan
Originally Posted by YacozA
I would say the savings always add up..
Should always price up all the options - direct; full ex-EU and starting ex-EU and ending in LON - and base decisions on that. And remember to price in the cost of the positioning flights plus a hotel if necessary

As to the savings always adding up in my experience that isn't always true.

BA often has ex LON sales that don't get reflected into ex-EU pricing.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Should always price up all the options - direct; full ex-EU and starting ex-EU and ending in LON - and base decisions on that. And remember to price in the cost of the positioning flights plus a hotel if necessary

As to the savings always adding up in my experience that isn't always true.

BA often has ex LON sales that don't get reflected into ex-EU pricing.
Right now it’s Ł3592 DUB > LGW > MCO with car hire for just over 3 weeks. That’s what I usually pay direct from LGW but that’s hitting Ł5K plus with car hire right now. This is for early Sept-20 flights. I had considered waiting until Black Friday / next BA sale before making a decision but my dates are not flexible.

Im mindful it’s a much smaller J cabin!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The high prices are likely the result of booking 10 months in advance. BA is well aware that anyone booking this far out likely has fixed travel dates and may be relatively price insensitive.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:06 am

This far out, I'd wait a bit and watch. Unless there's a big convention in Orlando the week you want to go, it may be lower fare buckets haven't come into play yet. If you are up for a Dublin adventure, it's worth keeping an eye on flights from there. AA via one of their hubs could be a friend here.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The high prices are likely the result of booking 10 months in advance. BA is well aware that anyone booking this far out likely has fixed travel dates and may be relatively price insensitive.
Just hadn’t been my experience for this route the last several years hence researching other routes.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:13 am

Check what's on in Orlando that week.. but I'd start looking seriously from Jan/Feb onwards, and put an alert in on the Google or another tracker. I'd also stick In Dublin and a few other ex EU favourites while you are at it. It's quite amazing what these throw up from time to time.

We do all of our family hols on ex-Eu and have some great city breaks at the same time!!
FlyerTalker68098 and mikeyfly like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.