Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are BA Golds Treated Equally/Better Than AA EXPs on AA Flights?

Are BA Golds Treated Equally/Better Than AA EXPs on AA Flights?

Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Geordie405
EXPs also get the complimentary snack and drink when in coach. Anyone in MCE will be offered a complimentary alcoholic beverage, irrespective of status. The other major difference would be free confirmed same-day flight changes for EXPs whereas BA Gold would need to pay $75 for confirmed.

The major differences are lounge access when flying on purely domestic US itineraries (BA Silver & Gold get them, AA OW equivalents don't - with some small exceptions relating to TATL travel on A321T aircraft) as well as complimentary upgrades. I have had a small number of upgrades to First when flying AA within the US but these are the exception rather than the norm, and are usually due to operational reasons. There is no way (that I am aware of anyway) for non-AA status holders to get on the upgrade list.
When i was ba gold i also got the free snack and beveridge in AA economy

Last edited by scottishpoet; Nov 26, 2019 at 12:43 am
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are normally paying for F then I could see an argument for going with BA to save on lounge membership. If in Y the upgrade potential would tilt things towards EXP.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have found, since my travels are usually a mix of BA/AA all on one ticket..
the treatment I get from both, is the pretty much on par with the way I treat and greet
the staff.
I found a smile and hello go a long way on both airlines.

I am not sure what passengers sometimes mean, when they ask questions, like this.

I have had both AA/BA do a great job when it has come to irrops or any other matters concerning my flight.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've definitely been offered a free snack etc. before in AA economy, although I'll be in business / first a lot of the time for non-transcons, and generally in MCE for transcons where I've always been offered things.

It would be nice to be automatically added to an upgrade list for flights, but at the end of the day, being able to use the AA, QF and possibly OW business lounges at LAX, for example, whilst on a 40 LAS or SFO flight (or a reward flight)1, beats an upgrade on a 5hr flight coast to coast (well, not always).
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
When i was ba gold i also got the free snack and beveridge in AA economy
Yes, and that is still the case. I read the OP's comment to imply that BA did and EXP didn't which was why I said that EXPs also received it. Sorry if that wasn't the case and I caused some inadvertent confusion.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you are normally paying for F then I could see an argument for going with BA to save on lounge membership. If in Y the upgrade potential would tilt things towards EXP.
I'd agree with the paying for F comment here, but if you're booking Y then it would probably be route dependent. Some of the upgrade lists these days are 20 - 30 deep so very little chance of the upgrade clearing at the airport unless you're consistently #1 or #2 on the upgrade list.

The other thing to bear in mind would also be aircraft type. If you're doing LAX - DFW or LAX - PHL on a widebody aircraft then you'd have access to the PE cabin which is at least on a par with domestic F on a narrowbody. I'd probably stick with BA in those cases and enjoy the lounge access before my flight.

Ultimately, though, it really boils down to the individual, their subjective value on things, and their own travel patterns.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If your domestic routes are EP heavy and thus upgrade lite, a big reason to stick with BA is that it takes a LOT less spend. I'm a lowly Silver, but I will requalify for under US$2k and 9 segments (One 4 segment PE RDU-LHR-AMS RT codeshare, one segment of AMS-LGW in CE, and a RDU-CLT-SEA RT in F).

I give up the very occasional upgrade into a lousy bulkhead window, keep MCE at ticketing, and get both Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Prospero
We can ignore the AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard sales pitches without fear of upsetting the crew
I heard rumors that they are updating the software onboard so the sales pitch doesn't interrupt the IFE for anyone who is already a credit card holder. I've not seen that added to the benefits list yet, though.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I'd agree with the paying for F comment here, but if you're booking Y then it would probably be route dependent. Some of the upgrade lists these days are 20 - 30 deep so very little chance of the upgrade clearing at the airport unless you're consistently #1 or #2 on the upgrade list.
Well, conversely, a vast majority of AA domestic stations do not have a lounge.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
No one answer fits all. I think it depends largely on the routes (UG-likely or not), airports (any lounge?/FL vs AAClub?), likely use/availability of SDC (if applicable). the value one puts on the SWUs (if applicable), and what one values more.
As for me, Ive been both AA EXP & BA Gold for years, but am letting EXP go after this yearits not worth it to
me to keep both. I do value lounge access, my UG success under AAs new system has not been great, I dont do a lot of domestic travel in any case, the last time I tried to SDC was 3 years ago, Ive probably benefited from BAs opening up award availability to Golds in short haul more than Ive been UGed on AA in the last year and with AAs NYC cutbacks, Id just as soon fly another airline domestically. So BA wins this round.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by scubadu
We are all waiting on the edge of our seats, you have to admit.... what?!

Regards
"The Exclusive treatment I get whenever I fly AA as a BA GGL card holder"
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
"The Exclusive treatment I get whenever I fly AA as a BA GGL card holder"
Don't you mean 'sometimes' rather than 'every time' you fly with AA? That's the whole point, it's rather hit and miss.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Every time I've flown AA as a GCH I am offered free snacks and drinks. I think their system doesn't even discriminate - one time the flight attendant said to me "oh no, honey, I didn't look - you're one of my EPs, you don't pay for anything..." Another time at the ticket desk I asked about an upgrade and it took her five minutes to realise that she couldn't list me for a space available upgrade because I was BA gold not AA EP. That said, on two occasions I've been upgraded anyway! Short flights only, but still it was nice.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Expatbear
Every time I've flown AA as a GCH I am offered free snacks and drinks. I think their system doesn't even discriminate - one time the flight attendant said to me "oh no, honey, I didn't look - you're one of my EPs, you don't pay for anything..."
Perhaps this is what @NA-Flyer is referring to as opposed to the CK treatment afforded to GGL from time to time?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by golfmad
Don't you mean 'sometimes' rather than 'every time' you fly with AA? That's the whole point, it's rather hit and miss.
I can say "most of the time" especially when departing out of ORD and DFW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.