Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 Galleries South windows...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

LHR T5 Galleries South windows...

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is the, er, enhancement to the windows at the end of T5 Galleries South overlooking the terminal permanent? (Last time I was here, last month, it certainly wasn't there.) I used to quite enjoy looking out of the windows at everything happening below (there was also more light). Looking at the back of a silhouette of London is not, um, quite so nice...
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:39 am

I used to enjoy watching people go through secondary screening whilst sipping my champers, but I wonder if the security peeps objected.
catscall likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to explain this a bit more, there is one end of South Lounges Galleries Club where there are some high stools and ledge table seating, with a good view over the whole T5 terminal through a length of glass windows. This area is usually fairly quiet and popular with single passengers using tablets or laptops. The view included South Security, which is directly below, as is the entrance to the Millionaire's Door to CCR. A few weeks ago some vinyl (?) transfers ("sticky backed plastic") were put on to the glass, such that the view is now largely obscured. The transfers have the central London skyline on them. This area is past the cinema seating area, and the opposite end to the windows overlooking the southern runway.

I don't know the reason either, but the suspicion that this was to add to the privacy of security searches is also in my mind too.
adrianlondon, ceej123 and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Cant' you still see security from the CCR?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to explain this a bit more, there is one end of South Lounges Galleries Club where there are some high stools and ledge table seating, with a good view over the whole T5 terminal through a length of glass windows. This area is usually fairly quiet and popular with single passengers using tablets or laptops. The view included South Security, which is directly below, as is the entrance to the Millionaire's Door to CCR. A few weeks ago some vinyl (?) transfers ("sticky backed plastic") were put on to the glass, such that the view is now largely obscured. The transfers have the central London skyline on them. This area is past the cinema seating area, and the opposite end to the windows overlooking the southern runway.

I don't know the reason either, but the suspicion that this was to add to the privacy of security searches is also in my mind too.
That's a shame, I used to enjoy sitting there; nice and quiet and great views of the terminal. It sounds like a pretty permanent change to me.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If this is the case I wonder what took them so long to notice? It's been 11 years since T5 opened!

Maybe somebody complained...
adrianlondon, T8191 and catscall like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If each visitor picks away a little bit of the sticky stuff, the view will improve soon enough.

Be the change you want to see in the world... or something
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by GodAtum
I could on Tuesday.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by catscall
enhancement to the windows at the end of T5 Galleries South overlooking the terminal
Poor show, this was always my 'go to' spot in the lounge
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by GodAtum
You could, but almost no-one in the CCR boardroom could give rat's whatsit about anything but themselves or their gadgets (or too busy talking loudly on the phone).
adrianlondon and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat
Originally Posted by wcel
Poor show, this was always my 'go to' spot in the lounge
I don't get to LHR very often these days being based in SYD. However, this is always my go to spot in LHR T5 South when I do. I was so disappointed to discover this 'enhancement'. It makes that end of the lounge much darker and less appealing. Such a shame.

I noted some other 'enhancements' that weren't necessarily welcome.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.