Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Immigration Queues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by flatlander
What do you and the other GE-advocates in this thread suggest for people who don't hold a passport from a country eligible for Global Entry?
... or those who are otherwise prevented from applying for GE because they do not fulfil all the requirements.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:12 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
What do you and the other GE-advocates in this thread suggest for people who don't hold a passport from a country eligible for Global Entry?
Fast track immigration like they have at LHR. I’m surprised they don’t have one already given how many business travelers JFK gets!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mhy
Fast track immigration like they have at LHR. I’m surprised they don’t have one already given how many business travelers JFK gets!
There’s no incentive for them to do that is there? If you wan o do business and fly via JFK then you wait.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have a radical suggestion:

Reasonable and predictable processing times for all the passengers who are paying for immigration services via their passenger service charges, security charges, dubiously bovine "9/11 security" charges, and so on.

Average 15 min, max 30 min wait ought to be fine.

We are, after all, paying for this dire service we receive today!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by wemyss
Similar on Thursday, on AA105,50 minutes ahead of scedule, no line at immigration, but had Global Entry machines all working and sailed through. (It felt like pre-clearance) Much better AA planes on the LHR-JFK in business class.too...
I have avoided JFK because of past experiences of waiting for ages to clear immigration. However, this year with my love for AA growing with each flight taken, decided to fly LHR-JFK-BWI . JFK immigration and baggage reclaim was a breeze and the flagship lounge was great. I don't know if this is typical of T7 or is it T8 but flying into and out of the same JFK terminal on both occasions with AA got a thumbs up from me.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US does not offer FastTrack as a conscious choice.

The sole expedited service is GlobalEntry.

The back-and-forth here is that this thread really has nothing to do with BA, yet is posted in the BA forum. Numerous similar threads already elsewhere.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Often1
The back-and-forth here is that this thread really has nothing to do with BA, yet is posted in the BA forum. Numerous similar threads already elsewhere.
This is mostly though not entirely the case in the sense that BA is in charge of the terminal and the work taking place in it. The immigration situation is what it is because of the lack of space in the T7 arrivals hall which is notably insufficient to set up machines for ESTA passengers. Prioritising work to increase that space would undoubtedly be extremely expensive but it may not be impossible. As it happened ba has prioritised work in the departure area so far.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would rather arrive in T7 than T8. All things being equal on the immigration side, so much faster on T7 arrivals.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would rather arrive in T7 than T8. All things being equal on the immigration side, so much faster on T7 arrivals.
Definitely not my experience!!!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Definitely not my experience!!!
It felt like I walked a mile on a recent CX arrival into T8. My last INTL arrival at T7, on IB, less than 5 minutes after deplanning, I was breathing fresh air (landside) - GE, no checked luggage for both and always. Airtrain -> subway -> 45 minutes later, I was in Manhattan.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same thing we US passport holders do when entering a country where we are not eligible to use the e-gates. Plan accordingly.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
The same thing we US passport holders do when entering a country where we are not eligible to use the e-gates. Plan accordingly.
The comment was made by the OP in answer to someone who suggested that Global Entry was the solution. It was merely highlighting that GE is not an option for everyone - just as, precisely, it would not be an option for US citizens to use domestic egates in countries where they are not eligible to do so.
Lefly likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
At TSA in SFO you have an entry line for TSA Pre, one for Premium travelers and one for regular ones. But the Tensa lines for Premium and regular converged to the same sets of scanners. When I asked why the separate Tensa queues but no separate scanners I was told that the law states they have to threat everyone the same. Overheard something similar told to someone asking it to CBP.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by fripperies
Indeed. But it won't help you if you're planning a NY shopping spree this Christmas because - ironically - applicants must expect a long wait between handing over their $100 and hearing the outcome. Conditional approval used to come within days, then weeks, now it's into months for the majority.
I appreciate it’s not an immediate fix and we waited in excess of 90 days to receive conditional approval. However, I kind of think that if you’re eligible for GE and you travel to the USA a lot the wait to receive conditional approval is a fairly small price to pay to receive 5 years of expedited entry to the USA and TSA-Pre. It certainly was for us which is why we were happy to go through the process and wait.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gshumway
At TSA in SFO you have an entry line for TSA Pre, one for Premium travelers and one for regular ones. But the Tensa lines for Premium and regular converged to the same sets of scanners. When I asked why the separate Tensa queues but no separate scanners I was told that the law states they have to threat everyone the same. Overheard something similar told to someone asking it to CBP.
At JFK T8 there is a pathway from AA flagship checkin that takes you to the same place as the usual pre queue and the same TSA staffer who calls people from the AA queue before the main queue. Once you've seen him / her you are in the same queue as everyone else to get to the actual scanners.

No idea if they do one from one queue then one from the other as all the times I've used it I've been the only one in the queue from flagship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.