Do BA staff even notice BA Bronze?

Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by mwp1
Me and my partner took a flight last week , me silver her blue/nothing. The purser came to her CE class, came to her , addressed her by name and said 'hello miss c , thank you for taking your first flight as a member of the baec , I know a lot of the time it's like we don't care , but we do and I'm glad to welcome you'

she was really astounded they knew her name and said that has never happened to me on a flight before
I had the most lovely [purser] on a flight to Istanbul on the old 767 fleet, I think I’d not long since made bronze and the message was “the executive club have asked me to welcome you personally as a bronze member” or something like that. I only really remember it as a greeting because she was such a great crew member; I believe (to this day) the only cabin crew I’ve met twice (or maybe just that she’s the only one that has been memorable!)

I’m not surprised to hear that it’s a targeted announcement, presumably there were no iPads back in 2014, mind- something on the manifest maybe?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MFCC
This will have been a targeted messaged the purser was instructed to give via their iPad. Glad your partner found it valuable.
Exactly. I always find it funny when people get all worked up (or excited) about "personal greetings". It is nothing personal at all, it is effectively depersonalising as the person doing it is either doing something the ipad asks them to do or is embarking in a routine whereby you are effectively reduced to your card colour, which is not a personal thing at all.

I have had great personal conversations with cabin crew (on various airlines including and not in any way limited to BA) over the years, those are usually the "bored mid-flight" ones, whereby I happen to fancy a walk to the galley, and the on duty crew member happens to have had enough of their newspaper and is quite happy to chat for a few minutes. Other times either they or I are not in the mood which is fine too but when it "clicks" it is always very enjoyable.

By contrast, while I take the at seat greeting with a grateful smile because I know that the CSD/CSM are doing what they think is right, I'm really not fussed about it, and if anything don't particularly enjoy my seat neighbour (if it is not someone I am travelling with) getting to peak at my name, title or mini bio on why am I going to x and what will I be doing there and how long am I staying, etc.
subject2load and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just remember.. status is only important to the person who thinks he/she are important
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Cabin Crew once said to me ''you're very bronzed looking'' and I was only a Blue.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Serious question ... when was Bronze introduced? I don’t recall being one. Perhaps I just erased it from my memory!

I joined BAEC in 07, and made Silver in 11, but don’t recall the details those early days (apart from what ba97 tells me!).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
You'll generally get more recognition from BA staff if you engage with them and treat them as human beings. It's really nothing to do with status, and I suspect the more you expect recognition from status the less you're likely to get it.
Status is good for when things go wrong or when there's opups going but generally when on board I don't think my Gold counts for much, nor should it really.

I appreciate the welcome back or personal greeting and the times I'm asked up front for a meal choice but beyond that have zero expectation and would never dream of being one of those 'I have gold you know' types.

I find treating CC how I'd like to be treated works better than any status.
HIDDY, lhrsfo, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Serious question ... when was Bronze introduced? I don’t recall being one. Perhaps I just erased it from my memory!
Don’t think it was too long ago.

But HIDDY should be able to tell you, Uncle T. His flying memories are mostly from the Bronze Age
HIDDY, T8191 and truncated like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Bronze was launched in October 2011.
T8191 and subject2load like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Mike P
Bronze was launched in October 2011.
Thanks! ^

I escaped by making Silver in April that year.
And of course becoming a “HNL Gold” in 2015, which we have since managed to retain!
Mike P likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Cabin Crew once said to me ''you're very bronzed looking'' and I was only a Blue.
That cuts both ways, I had a concerned cabin crew say "You're looking very blue" and I was Bronze
SarahWest, HIDDY, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Status is good for when things go wrong or when there's opups going but generally when on board I don't think my Gold counts for much, nor should it really.

I appreciate the welcome back or personal greeting and the times I'm asked up front for a meal choice but beyond that have zero expectation and would never dream of being one of those 'I have gold you know' types.

I find treating CC how I'd like to be treated works better than any status.
I'm pretty lucky in not really having had anything go too wrong for me. An AA flight went tech the other day and I was rebooked on a flight the following morning, but left to my own devices for a few hours overnight in the terminal.

The personal greeting means zero to me now. It used to be a nice touch, but in the grand scheme of things, I see it these days as some token words with no substance (2 greetings in 4 years + whatever I have been gold for previously were provided with offerings of water, drinks etc. whilst in ET).
Meal wise, never been given any priority option over anyone else in a cabin in 4 years of GGL (and that's in any cabin).
No emails from BA beyond e-tickets / e-ticket changesI've made, and other than a phone line and a couple of fee related things, there's been no real discernable benefit over lower status for me.

Crew wise, I prefer to ignore them. Should my safety be at risk, then that's what they're primarily there for, but beyond that, I want zero interaction.

Not even sure if I ever really was bronze. Think I went from blue to silver fairly quickly and then to gold within a year, so never received a card.

As I've said before in other threads, I tend to expect nothing and with the benchmark set that low, am rarely disappointed.

Whether a bronze card is noticed, I've no idea (seen a few being sported on bags on Ryanair! Silver too but infrequently gold. One Premier tag though last year). At least you're off the bottom of the ladder and possibly depending on say the number of silvers in the cabin, it may at least put you on a footing for a "let's upgrade him to WT+ or CW to bait him into paying more in future".
Personally, I would at least try and make a push for silver as there are more tangible benefits associated with that colour of card.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fotographer
just remember.. status is only important to the person who thinks suspects he/she are isn't important
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If status meant nothing to people, then none of us would want to prevail ourselves of 25-100% bonus Avios; seat selection at T-xx; lounge access etc.
As soon as we put our FF number in, we want that status to be recognised and ultimately use some or all of the benefits attached to that.

Ok, we don't all flaunt it openly, but still want to be recognised in having it on some level.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
If status meant nothing to people, then none of us would want to prevail ourselves of 25-100% bonus Avios; seat selection at T-xx; lounge access etc.
As soon as we put our FF number in, we want that status to be recognised and ultimately use some or all of the benefits attached to that.

Ok, we don't all flaunt it openly, but still want to be recognised in having it on some level.
Dont get me wrong... status is a wonderful thing along with benefits that seem to slowly fading away..
I enjoy the perks that come with my loyalty to a particular airline or business, and will continue to use them, but
I dont feel undo if someone does not acknowledge my status, or address me by my name etc....
I understand that airline employees deal with hundreds of customers a day and sometimes.. well
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
Many years ago there was a brilliant Upper/Middle/Lower ‘class’ sketch in the Frost report. I sometimes wonder if there is scope for a gold/silver/bronze or F/J/Y sketch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.