Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World Middle 'Suite'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Club World Middle 'Suite'

Hello all. I was flying 'solo' in one of the middle seats the other day (2-4-2 config) and was thinking about how it's actually a very good seat ('suite') when there is nobody sharing the other middle with you. Essentially you have:

- Much more sqaure feet of space than F
- Bags of storage space with two drawers, the other seat and floor area
- An extra pillow/bedding
- Can make the bed very easily from the other seat
- Option to exit from either side, making it easier to get to the toilets and increasing chance of not having to step over someone
- Able to exit with food/laptop on table

Don't think this speicifc situation has really been dicusssed on FT much. Any other thoughts of the pros of solo middle seat Club travel? The main con for me is the lack of a view.

Gliderpilot
Pack likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Those middle seats are great for couples and will be missed.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Those middle seats are great for couples and will be missed.
Completely agree, they are great for a couple. I have never shared one with anybody other than Mrs Wilsnunn but I am sure that it would be a bit weird sharing with a stranger.
TedToToe, thomas164 and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
My first CW experience was an op up into a middle seat. It was a long overnight flight and once the dividers were up it was really quiet and private.

It thought it was spot on at the time, although I would always plump for a window seat given the choice today.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Obviously it relies on CW not being too heavily loaded, but yes, having a centre pair to yourself is not a bad deal at all. If you select the seat next to the bassinet seat at the rear of a cabin section, the seat next to you is blocked to all but infants until the last minute, and you have unrestricted access to both aisles.

Not something I’ve done often, but when a 789 flight was swapped to a 772 earlier this year, with a light load I decided to give it a shot (worst case was being seat shifted for a last-minute infant, but it was a fairly short day flight so worth the risk), and it worked out very nicely.

Double aisle access..

Two tables, two IFE screens...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Obviously it relies on CW not being too heavily loaded, but yes, having a centre pair to yourself is not a bad deal at all. If you select the seat next to the bassinet seat at the rear of a cabin section, the seat next to you is blocked to all but infants until the last minute, and you have unrestricted access to both aisles.

Not something I’ve done often, but when a 789 flight was swapped to a 772 earlier this year, with a light load I decided to give it a shot (worst case was being seat shifted for a last-minute infant, but it was a fairly short day flight so worth the risk), and it worked out very nicely.

Double aisle access..

Two tables, two IFE screens...
Good point, I forgot about the 2nd IFE screen. I put the opposite screen in map mode for the landing but could have had on all flight
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I was also wondering how Club Suite is going to work for people travelling with children. My route is a leisure route from Gatwick to the Dominican Republic and in school holidays sometimes there are more than half the passengers in Y are children. The middle groups of 4 almost always are occupied by families, one parent marshalls all the kids into the centre area until it's bed-time and can keep them under control. I just can't see how it will be feasible to travel with young children using Club Suites.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I was thinking this just today re: upper deck window seats (particularly those with unfettered aisle access). Tons of space, storage, windows...

Connected from the Finnair A350 (similar model to the Club Suite) to the BA 747. Whilst the new herringbone style seats are private and quiet even when the cabin’s full and there’s no especially “bad” seats. there’s a lot to like about some of the outliers in NCW. 64K will be missed!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

I don't think Club Suite is expected at Gatwick anytime soon so your leisure route to Punta Cana should remain unaffected for a while longer yet. In terms of suitability for families, you raise a valid question, although many other airlines operate in a 1-2-1 configuration and that doesn't detract families from booking them.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JonathanB
I was also wondering how Club Suite is going to work for people travelling with children. My route is a leisure route from Gatwick to the Dominican Republic and in school holidays sometimes there are more than half the passengers in Y are children. The middle groups of 4 almost always are occupied by families, one parent marshalls all the kids into the centre area until it's bed-time and can keep them under control. I just can't see how it will be feasible to travel with young children using Club Suites.
Maybe they'll fly PE, which is fine with me
(Kidding, I've never actually seen a bad child in J, those experiences have all been in Y)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yep those middle seats are a very unique and helpful configuration for travelling with young kids - Club suite wont be the same but we should be out of the baby/toddler years by the time CS is regular on leisure routes.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Confirmed
The drawer is the my favourite feature among business class seats. Back in the years I can put a very bulky DSLR in it along with chargers, amenity kit and water. All within reach.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Yup, they’re great when you have it all to your self.

I was lucky enough to have both and an aisle back in August, ate/ drank in the aisle and then retired to bed in the middle.

back out for a quick breakfast
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Travelling together mrs Firstlight and I love the middle seats. BA have made it much more difficult to prebook the bassinet position with aisle exit even when there are no infants at Olci so we generally end up in row 1 e and f.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The missus and I last had the middle seats when flying GRU-LHR and enjoyed it very much. Might not be so great when beside a stranger although that depends who they are right enough. Having said that, back then we also flew Lufty in F and the privacy between you and your seat neighbour wasn't any better. Yet many thought it was the bee's knees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.