BA 0117 LHR to JFK

Old Nov 22, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

BA 0117 LHR to JFK

I've never flown BA before. We are doing a Tauck tour in Israel and Jordan next October. We are flying Delta to Israel through JFK and returning from Amman on BA through London. We took the option of spending one night in London to break up the ride home. Home airport is RIC. I had points for the Delta flight and I had Amex points I used for the BA flight. No status at all on BA. We are flying economy from Amm to LHR. and then flying business class the next morning from LHR to JFK.

First, how is business class on the 747 to JFK? This will be my first overseas business class ride. We usually fly premium economy. Business is just to rich for us to pay for.

Second, I read that BA is usually about 20 minutes late on arrival. So my second question is there are three flights from JFK to RIC we can take non stop; 2:50pm on Delta, 3:30pm on American and a 7:30 on Delta. I can use points to book these domestic tickets for very few points right now. How long do you think it will take to get through customs and such on return from London? We have Global entry.

So, which flights should I sign up for for the JFK-RIC.
Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lindab55 View Post

Second, I read that BA is usually about 20 minutes late on arrival. So my second question is there are three flights from JFK to RIC we can take non stop; 2:50pm on Delta, 3:30pm on American and a 7:30 on Delta.
Of all the considerations, don't let this be a factor! Any airline and any route can be 20-30-180 minutes late. They are often on time / early. There is not historical data that will make any difference on the day
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'd book the AA flight because AA is most likely to be sympathetic if there is an inbound delay, as AA and BA are both OneWorld, and you'll get lounge access due to connecting from an international business flight.

With global entry, I'd expect you to be curbside in JFK around 25 minutes after landing (so effectively, you'll be out before your bags), and you would then need another 20 min between terminals, plus another 40 min to drop off economy bags and get through security. So around 1h 25 + time to get to the gate and board is reasonable, albeit minimum connect time is officially 2h all-in. It means you can be up to 2h late on the inbound and still make the connection.

Not sure if you either can or should (given the change fee + additional points cost) book AMM-LHR-JFK-RIC on one ticket, but that may also be worth considering.
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
First, how is business class on the 747 to JFK? This will be my first overseas business class ride. We usually fly premium economy. Business is just to rich for us to pay for.
It is quite excellent on the upper-deck, the seat reservation fee would be money well spent. Many here would take an upper-deck J window seat over some of the seats in F.
BearX220 and mjh0 like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:29 am
mhy

Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
1) I would book the AA flight due to it being on oneworld and the fact you get lounge access.

2) As the previous poster said, 747 upper deck business class is great and worth paying the extra to select seats there.
Cymro and mjh0 like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input!

The upper deck was a few hundred dollars to reserve. The downstairs was 89 a person and I picked 19 A and B. good seats? I was hoping to get the upper deck but I saw the cost and decided to go downstairs. I am guessing this was a cheap and foolish move on my part. Not sure if I can switch them without paying full freight for the upstairs or if they will credit the seats the seat cost of the downstairs seats I chose? I picked them now because I didn't want to be the seats that get hit with the bathroom door, I believe 17 downstairs.
I picked aisle seats in economy for the amman to london leg.

I can't book the AA domestic on the same ticket because it isn't for sale yet. I wanted to get the business class seats booked on BA because they were open and I know they go fast. I am wondering if I can somehow link the tickets while at the airport in London with the BA person at the gate? This way, AA will know Im coming.

Thanks again!!
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Ok I went for it and I booked 62 J and K in the upper deck! If I am going to fly business, I may as well fly upstairs.
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:26 pm
mhy

Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
Ok I went for it and I booked 62 J and K in the upper deck! If I am going to fly business, I may as well fly upstairs.
Enjoy. Those are fantastic seats!
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I can't book the AA domestic on the same ticket because it isn't for sale yet. I wanted to get the business class seats booked on BA because they were open and I know they go fast. I am wondering if I can somehow link the tickets while at the airport in London with the BA person at the gate? This way, AA will know Im coming.

Thanks again!!
No you can't link them.

You really need to allow a good lengthof time - no matter which onward airline you select - between booking two separate flights remembereing also to take into account the time those airlines closes bag drop.

if you book with AA this thread provides advice on AA will protect your flight (or not) with them if your BA flight is delayed

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

My outward bound flight to Israel is on Delta. So I can book RT on Delta for the domestic RIC/JFK with points for the same as a one way from RIC and book the 7:30pm home on the return. That would give me a lot of time at JFK, but if there is a delay, then I won't have to worry. Then I can pick up a one way from AA at 3:30 on points and have my close connection in case we are on time.
I didn't do the straight fly through to JFK from AMM via LHR because I would arrive 1 and a half hours before the last flight to RIC. JFK is a lousy place to spend the night. I thought sleeping in London would be more fun. (I used to live and work up in the NYC area so I don't need to spend the night at JFK. )
So much fanangling to use points to save money! In the end, I wonder if I will save much money at all on all of this, but I will get to fly business class and I may never bring myself to flying coach again
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
The OP hasn't mentioned baggage, but assuming they have a check in bag, they would need to allow time to collect and recheck the bag at JFK as BA won't check it through to the connecting AA service unless it is on one ticket (unless JFK airport can retag it as part of their transit service?)
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes plunet baggage is a concern. I am not sure if we can do a two week trip on carry on bags. Would love to and have traveled light before, but it would be nice to check one larger bag with extra stuff....I am assuming we will check one larger bag and need to reclaim it and recheck it. This will all take some time.

We also are traveling from RIC to JFK and then on to TLV in the beginning of the trip. The TLV flight is at 11:30pm timeframe. What time should we try to be at JFK in order to pick up a bag possibly and go back through security? I was thinking of the flights that land around 7-730pm JFK?

Thanks for thinking of all the what ifs so I plan accordingly.

Still excited about moving up to the upper lounge on the BA flight.
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may be too late now, but have you looked at what it would cost to fly AMM-RIC with connections at LHR and any BA/AA gateway on the US side?

International connections may be up to 23:59 and, if you do some tinkering, you may find a very good deal. This is a labor intensive effort because you need to look at not just JFK.
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I didn't do the straight fly through to JFK from AMM via LHR because I would arrive 1 and a half hours before the last flight to RIC. JFK is a lousy place to spend the night. I thought sleeping in London would be more fun. (I used to live and work up in the NYC area so I don't need to spend the night at JFK. )
The LHR-JFK is an early departure, and I think you arrive into London from Jordan early afternoon. So you will want an early night. So try and find a nice hotel around South Kensington or Paddington area, so you that you can maximise your afternoon and minimise your morning travel. Or possibly Windsor. You could stay at the airport, the hotels are generally very good value, but unless you are an aviation geek it's not going to be too exciting. Book a flexible rate, even if it means paying a little more, since that will probably allow you to go to a better rate, non flexible, about a month before travel.

An early night will allow you to get on keel for USA time more easily so tat's actually a good set-up, particularly as Upper Deck is a quiet place for a snooze mid flight. The opportunities for flying Upper Deck are getting harder by the day, so I'm glad you booked that. I would also book the final RIC flight, and then see if they will let you standby for an earlier flight should everything go to plan.
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I have a room reserved at the Sofitel at terminal 5. I figured we would drop our bags and taxi to town, walk around, have a nice dinner and then sleep at the airport hotel. Bummed itís not a Saturday or Sunday. Would have loved adding a futbol match to the itinerary.

We are traveling late Oct so we canít buy the domestic tickets yet

Search this Thread