BA Bronze Useless?

Old Nov 21, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lels View Post
A mix really - my main trips were:
LHR-HKG-Australia Return x2
LHR-DOH-China Return (This got me the bulk of my points tbh, 140 TP in total)
LHR-West Coast US Return

Plus a handful of smaller legs
That is some long flights to travel in Economy!

Maybe my age, but I have now given up on economy flights, for Long Haul. (Although I know that's not an option for everyone) A few of those trips in WTP and you'd be Silver and probably nearly Gold, especially as you're flying multi-legs (Are you booking the lowest fare bracket, as Economy flights can furnish much more TP than that?)

Like most people on here, I used to be bronze at one point in time and I was really excited when I got it. (The Seat Selection, Business checkin & priority boarding were the things I relied on the most)
When I hit Silver, it was definately the lounge access. I also started to get a lot of POUG offers and compliments these with AUG if the former was not available/possible
This is my first year as Gold, after 5 years as Silver, from a Gold perspective the main time I have noticed any benefits over silver is when something has gone wrong on the flight (Been on a couple of times when travelling CW in a 4 class plane that has ended up being a 3 class plane and not been downgraded). (I also take my bike with me a lot, so the extra bag allowance helps in whichever class I am travellling in)
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Last year I did a PE flight from LAX-HKG-BLR and back. It bagged me 340 tier points and a ton of avios. When I queried something about how the TPs worked, someone on FT who was from CX told me that the same flights would have barely got me a quarter of the way to Sapphire on CX. On BA I was over half way to retaining (in terms of the number of TPs). Each program has different strengths and weaknesses. The benefit of BA for the timebeing that there is no minimum dollar spend like the US airlines. 15 long-haul economies may have racked up something on AA, but that depends on the underlying fares. If they are super cheap then would be down at their equivalent to Ruby as well.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stuvoi View Post
A few of those trips in WTP and you'd be Silver and probably nearly Gold
To make gold at exactly 1,500 TP, you'd need to do no more flying: just make the move to WTP, and an ex-EU to China in Qatar business class. No idea if that's cost effective but you're probably flying more than some golds with a friendlier travel policy.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
If BA Bronze is anything like AA Gold, I have to say it is fairly useless with the exception of the few benefits noted by others above. I will most likely not retain my AA Gold status by the end of this January although AA has offered to extend it next year if I pay $800. Definitely not worth it (and I wonder if BA offers a similar method of retaining elite status via an outlay of hard earned cash).
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA don't sell status unfortunately. When you compare Bronze to other levels, it certainly looks to be not much. But I think the free seat selection is definitely the most useful. The bonus avios are helpful too. My wife is Bronze and on 0 TPs for collection year. We've already got 620 TPs booked in before July, so she'll climb to Silver. But if I look at the flights we have booked, she's going to make about 12k Avios extra than if she was blue. That's something certainly I will not sniff at. It's making we wonder whether I ship her off to Dallas on AA to see her sister and she'll climb a little bit more before one of our big earning trips.
Old Nov 21, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
That's pretty good actually - I didn't consider that BA status could be achieved like that. Mine's been done by ~15 long haul econ segments so I've felt like I've somewhat felt like I've worked for mine!
The teir above entry on Lufthansa FF program is FTL.

You get lounge access at lufthansa group lounges but not where they use 3rd party lounges.

You get business class check in. Fasttrack is limited.

No early seating choices.

You would get nowhere near FTL for 15 Y segments in long haul, but assuming you then had to make a connection the 30 segments would get you there.

Just for comparison. For what it takes to get it I think BAs offer on Bronze is good.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
We call this the First Wing (TFW) in these parts

"Normal" Fast Track is for Silvers and people in Club, and still takes you via the Duty Free shops before you can hit a lounge.
North fast track to north lounge you hardly see a shop. Maybe walk past a pub and a money change.

And with all the golds using the first wing now, north fast track is great for us silvers
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
All main programmes have the same basic rule of thumbs:

- Low tier = priority services/smoother airport experience
- Mid tier = lounge access
- High tier = Sense of exclusivity

The rest is just variations on the above. Some airlines indeed throw in lounge access on own metal for their low tier, but equally, some only give part of the priority services whilst BA is relatively generous with it. Some throw in extra luggage but BA gives you free seating, etc. I think it's mostly aligned personally...
LTN Phobia, T8191, lels and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by stuvoi View Post
That is some long flights to travel in Economy!

Maybe my age, but I have now given up on economy flights, for Long Haul. (Although I know that's not an option for everyone) A few of those trips in WTP and you'd be Silver and probably nearly Gold, especially as you're flying multi-legs (Are you booking the lowest fare bracket, as Economy flights can furnish much more TP than that?)
Yeah, that's very true! Pretty much all those flights were in the lowest econ bucket (other than the China flight, which somehow was both a cheap ticket (~£650) and not the lowest TP/segment), and it's pretty hard to justify WTP given how cheap I got some of those tickets for (<£900 to SYD both times, <£650 to China, <£350 to West Coast). IIRC, W and J were nearly 2x and 4x more expensive!
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
4 long haul flights each 140 tier points flying economy (each ticket around $900 USD after some avios discount plus finding a cheap upgrade on one of the flights during the year to PE gets me to 600 tier points and Silver. I appreciated the seat selection 7 days prior to travel but Silver makes my economy flying MUCH more enjoyable with lounge access, early boarding and 2 x 32kg bags if needed AND sharing the baggage allowance and early boarding with family when we travel together. Not on topic but economy is fine when combined with Silver status for me at least.
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
The main benefits of Bronze are 7 day free seat selection, priority check-in (important in out stations) + priority boarding when flying BA. When flying AA, you also get thrown in free checked in luggage + (if booking code allows) Economy Plus at check in.

However, these are also OW Ruby benefits when flying BA (or AA). So consider switching to a different OW FQT program, if you think other programs provide better benefits.
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by testycal View Post
4 long haul flights each 140 tier points flying economy (each ticket around $900 USD after some avios discount plus finding a cheap upgrade on one of the flights during the year to PE gets me to 600 tier points and Silver. I appreciated the seat selection 7 days prior to travel but Silver makes my economy flying MUCH more enjoyable with lounge access, early boarding and 2 x 32kg bags if needed AND sharing the baggage allowance and early boarding with family when we travel together. Not on topic but economy is fine when combined with Silver status for me at least.
Can you provide an example of how a long haul econ yields 140TP? The only instance that happened with me in my examples were the London-China via Doha trip, which required layovers (35TP each segment). Every other flight I've taken in econ (at the fare class offered at time of booking) was around 20TP ea. Even London-Australia was only 20TP/sector giving me 80TP ea time.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:10 am

A flexible WT ticket on a long haul sector will yield 70TPs. Those are in the most expensive buckets. The next level down gets 35 TPs and the lowest buckets yield 20.

So getting 140 is a simple round trip in economy, albeit at expensive prices.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
A flexible WT ticket on a long haul sector will yield 70TPs. Those are in the most expensive buckets. The next level down gets 35 TPs and the lowest buckets yield 20.

So getting 140 is a simple round trip in economy, albeit at expensive prices.
Yeah, that makes sense. Tbh, I've never bought a full fare "Y" ticket. I find that you can get W or even J in some cases for the price of a full priced Y ticket
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:49 am

Yeah, that makes sense. Tbh, I've never bought a full fare "Y" ticket. I find that you can get W or even J in some cases for the price of a full priced Y ticket
Exactly. I think many people don't realise how many Y travellers are getting just 20TPs for their 8-10 hour flights. It's easy to do 20 flights and be nowhere near silver.
adrianlondon, Jagboi and Oaxaca like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: