BA Bronze Useless?

Old Nov 21, 19, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
After six years as gold I'm now silver. My thoughts are as follows:

Multitude of upgrades - hah! that's got to be a joke. I remember one CE upgrade but can't think of any despite sevaral trips in overbooked WT+ cabins.
Without wishing to derail this thread, I've benefited massively from the above. I fly in the range of 20 long haul BA routes a year and I get on average 5 or 6 opups. Perhaps it's because my routes are typically busy, but in the last month alone I've had WTP-J on JFK (twice) and J-F on HKG.

One other small perk that I like, the seat next to you in economy is blocked unless the flight is full. Again, a small but valuable perk. Not sure if Silvers benefit from this also.

Anyway, off topic. Carry on!
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
Originally Posted by lels View Post
True, although I was mostly comparing it other schemes which throw in lounge access on the "home" airline and sometimes a little bit of extra baggage too! Do agree that silver looks pretty easy to obtain given how many TPs are earned for CE trips!
Don't forget that you could also take a few POUGs on your long haul flights, especially if you're short on time. From Y to W the prices could be reasonable and you would go up from 20 to 90 TPs on some flights.
Old Nov 21, 19, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Iíve found the benefits on AA useful too. Free seat selection from booking, can pick Main Cabin Extra at check-in. Priority security at some airports.

The other way of looking at this is what it offers to short haul economy flyers. Basically the package is very similar to EasyJet Plus without the fee. Particularly ex-LGW where fares are generally very similar and lots of other differences come out in the wash it can defiantly steer me to BA.
Old Nov 21, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
When I was BA bronze I actually found it quite useful for two reasons:

a) Booking a seat at 7 days is actually quite handy, Most of my short-haul flights are LON-Scotland and after the flight all I want to do is get off the plane asap and get in my car so being able to normally reserve a forward row saves me 5-10 mins each time to disembark. Secondly I have twice successfully used the 7 day window to get upper deck 747 CW seats, I feel like that would have been much harder at T-24.

b) Boarding group 3 is pretty useful, it means I will never have to worry about overhead space for my case.

Although, now that I am Silver, it is infinitely better and I couldn't imagine having to go back to bronze!
Old Nov 21, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the way up I felt that Bronze was worth it... as already mentioned - 7 day seat selection, business check in etc. But once you have gone to Silver then if you soft-land back to Bronze then it does feel a bit useless vs the Silver benefits. I realise that not everyone can accrue the points needed for Silver but if you can do it then Silver is where the real benefits kick in IMO. My wife recently dropped back to Bronze but she rarely flies on her own so she doesn't really need status when we fly together. I am Gold now but will probably let myself fall back to Silver and won't nothing a great deal of loss over Gold but I win't let myself drop to Bronze again... I will do a quick TP run to keep Silver if necessary.
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:08 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
Disagree completely. The gulf between Silver and Gold in benefits is vast. Where do I begin? T5 fast track, Gold line telco, Gold award added avios seats, the multitude of free upgrades on busy flights, AA Flagship lounge access etc? You dont get any of that at Silver. I would dread returning to Silver now after 6 years at Gold!
You get Fast-Track at T5, T3, LGW with Silver (and most BA outstations too). Never use any of the other stuff you mention.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
She doesnít get much benefit from the seven day advance seat selection as she travels on other OneWorld carriers more than BA when by herself and BA when she is with me.
Sure. But there are even some valuable Ruby benefits when not flying BA. I was Ruby for a while, flying AA Basic Economy on occasion. The higher boarding group on AA flights (5 rather than 8) allowed my to take a full-sized carry on. (Only recently, AA reinstated the full-sized carry on for BE flyers.)

Also, again on AA, the free checked bag for Ruby is nice to have.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I've managed to qualify for BA Bronze again for the second time just flying economy - I can't help but feel that this tier is a bit useless, particularly compared to some other FF programmes.

Off the top of my head: In OW, CXMP Silver and QRPC Silver both offer lounge access when flying them, and QRPC offers 10kg extra baggage too. I think AA Ruby at least offers extra baggage on domestic fares. In Skyteam, DL/AF/KLM Silver gives extra baggage too.

I've only credited my flights to BA because I've been collecting Avios for a few years now but I can't help but feel that my years at bronze have been wasted by not crediting to CXMP or QRPC as I flew those two airlines quite a lot in the years that I made ruby.
Are all your examples based on flying direct?
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
You get Fast-Track at T5, T3, LGW with Silver (and most BA outstations too). Never use any of the other stuff you mention.
I was referring to the T5 Gold fast track that slingshots you straight into Galleries First. A major upgrade over the typical fast track security.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
I was referring to the T5 Gold fast track that slingshots you straight into Galleries First. A major upgrade over the typical fast track security.
We call this the First Wing (TFW) in these parts

"Normal" Fast Track is for Silvers and people in Club, and still takes you via the Duty Free shops before you can hit a lounge.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Are all your examples based on flying direct?
A mix really - my main trips were:
LHR-HKG-Australia Return x2
LHR-DOH-China Return (This got me the bulk of my points tbh, 140 TP in total)
LHR-West Coast US Return

Plus a handful of smaller legs
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:52 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
We call this the First Wing (TFW) in these parts

"Normal" Fast Track is for Silvers and people in Club, and still takes you via the Duty Free shops before you can hit a lounge.
Really? At T5 you can head through N fast-track and be in the lounge without really going via any duty free shops. At LGW(S) you can pretty much avoid 90% of the shops too by turning left immediately out of security.

No big deal having to walk an extra 30 metres or so from security to lounge, some publicised incremental "benefits" of Gold seem to be really minimal in my experience (after 4 years of Silver and 1 of Gold). Personally I haven't seen any real extra benefits of Gold over Silver.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Personally I haven't seen any real extra benefits of Gold over Silver.
Neither have I but some of the benefits are not to easy to quantify. I am thinking of more likely to get OpUps, more seat availability particularly at T-72 and more likely to get an empty seat beside you on less full flights. Can't think of much else tbh.
Old Nov 21, 19, 9:31 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
I did forget about the 7 days seat selection: that is very useful.
Nothing in comparison to North American airlines, where elites can select seats at the time of booking, even many months out. And FWIW, even as a lowly Blue I've recently been getting seat selection several days out, rather than 24 hours in advance.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
A mix really - my main trips were:
LHR-HKG-Australia Return x2
LHR-DOH-China Return (This got me the bulk of my points tbh, 140 TP in total)
LHR-West Coast US Return

Plus a handful of smaller legs
As you'll no doubt know status is usually quicker/cheaper to earn if you have to connect along the way rather than fly direct. Only you can weigh up the advantages/disadvantages.
T8191 and lels like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: