Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20/21 Nov : British Airways flights disrupted by ‘technical issue’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20/21 Nov : British Airways flights disrupted by ‘technical issue’

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Thousands of passengers face delays as British Airways experiences disruption to flights caused by a "technical issue".

The airline said overnight that a small number of planes were affected by the glitch - the latest in a series of PR headaches for the carrier caused by apparent computer system woes and, latterly, damaging strikes by pilots.

It later confirmed: "Our teams are working hard to resolve a technical issue which is affecting some of our flights, and we have rebooked customers onto alternative flights and offered hotel accommodation where they have been unable to continue their journeys last night.

Must be this > https://news.sky.com/story/british-a...issue-11866078
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Classic BA of recent years - they seem to have something of this ilk every year or so. Will Cruz's job ever be in danger?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also featured in everyone's favourite publication: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...A-flights.html with a nice understated headline: Thousands of British Airways passengers across the globe are hit by cancelled flights and delays of up to 23 HOURS as computer crash leaves planes unable to take off

The top rated comments bemoan BA's outsourcing of their IT, and of course being the DM there's also one about the boss being Spanish.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Also featured in everyone's favourite publication: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...A-flights.html with a nice understated headline: Thousands of British Airways passengers across the globe are hit by cancelled flights and delays of up to 23 HOURS as computer crash leaves planes unable to take off

The top rated comments bemoan BA's outsourcing of their IT, and of course being the DM there's also one about the boss being Spanish.
TV presenter Phillip Schofield was among those to berate the airline for the delays

damning, Phillip, damning
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Arrived into Gatwick 2h53mins late and missed our unconnected flight to Malaga. Shelled out the best part of Ł300 to go on a later flight with no real compo/claim.

Its all part of air travel I guess.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Nov 21, 2019 at 6:17 am
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
"Mysterious IT snafu at British Airways causes bunch of inbound flight delays and cancellations"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1...ys_it_problem/

As if the term SNAFU was invented for BA's IT
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
a nice understated headline: Thousands of British Airways passengers across the globe are hit by cancelled flights and delays of up to 23 HOURS as computer crash leaves planes unable to take off
I'm picturing B777s running up and down the runway at 160 mph with the captain furiously hitting the dashboard in a desperate attempt to lift the plane off the ground.

"Some people missed their connections" doesn't sound quite as compelling as "planes unable to take off" I suppose...
dagohh and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by jackcarr
Classic BA of recent years - they seem to have something of this ilk every year or so. Will Cruz's job ever be in danger?
Not as long as the money keeps rolling in..... sadly!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
My flight arrived at the stand 4h 01m (!) late ... an expensively slow taxi from BA's perspective
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Arrived into Gatwick 2h53mins late and missed our unconnected flight to Malaga. Shelled out the best part of Ł300 to go on a later flight with no real compo/claim.

Its all part of air travel I guess.
That's where travel insurance comes in - if you pay for the right type of policy
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: US Gold
BA68 last night PHL-LHR left about an hour late, arrived about the same. They explained the IT issue while we were waiting to take off, and said they'd done the flight plan manually. Good that they had people with enough experience to do that! Next generation, coming into the profession after computers, won't have a clue what to do...

wg
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
Who provides missed connection travel insurance

Originally Posted by babats
That's where travel insurance comes in - if you pay for the right type of policy
I have looked for but been unable to find travel insurance which covers the costs incurred if you miss a connection. When I did my ex EU trip I effectively self insured by adding in an overnight stay, which I wouldn't have done if I could have insured for the cost of missed connections. Can you suggest a company which offers this type of insurance and what the cost is?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Keystone
I have looked for but been unable to find travel insurance which covers the costs incurred if you miss a connection. When I did my ex EU trip I effectively self insured by adding in an overnight stay, which I wouldn't have done if I could have insured for the cost of missed connections. Can you suggest a company which offers this type of insurance and what the cost is?
It does exist, so to take one company at random, Liverpool Victoria has a multi-trip Premier level policy which covers "Additional transport and/or accommodation costs", including "the public transport (including scheduled flights) doesn’t run to its timetable".

There is then a whole host of exceptions and restrictions, these vary tremendously between insurance companies but yes you can insure some or all of this risk, so long as you allowed a sensible connection. Liverpool Victoria suggest just 30 minutes delay, but in reality the 3 stroke 4 hour compensation levels in EC261 are useful guides here - airlines do seem to do their best not to be 3 / 4 hours late, so it may be worth booking unsecured connections with that in mind.
Keystone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.