Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA staff travel standby: booking premium and basic standby on the same flight?

BA staff travel standby: booking premium and basic standby on the same flight?

Old Nov 20, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Thanks for the response...but I wasn't that interested in the details in actuality. I was more commenting on the tone of the OP...

tb

Last edited by trueblu; Nov 20, 19 at 5:24 am Reason: sp.
Old Nov 20, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: BD
Originally Posted by lu_avs55 View Post
I wonder if there are any BA staff here who could shed light on the following scenario for staff who are travelling on standby bookings.

We have 2 options when booking standby travel: Basic or Premium standby. I won't explain the difference as any BA staff members will already understand what they are, but the important bit of this is that there are no part-refunds for premium standby bookings which end up seated in economy.

It is stated in the policy that you may not make both a premium and a basic standby booking on the same flight. This creates the situation for staff that you have to hedge your bets right up to the last minute about which type of standby to go for, and consequently you may: 1) end up giving up on your chance to get a premium seat if you're not confident about J/F/W availability, even though you could still get it, or 2) end up paying for premium standby even though you only end up getting the basic standby entitlement.

Whilst I understand that this is stated in the policy, my question is what measures are actually in place to prevent you from doing this as it remains entirely possible to do this anyway via the staff travel booking process?

I have searched high and low to an answer for this and am surprised I seem to be the only one asking this specific question!

Does anyone do this anyway?

Any light which could be shed on the situation would be most insightful!

Thanks in advance!
Although, it may be possible to book it, BA systems, like most airlines, are capable of automatically finding duplicate bookings, usually leading to the cancellation of the booking
that is not ticketed or made the latest. I guess it may end up on a Staff Travel list, as system abuse.

Also, when you arrive at check-in, they will have you listed twice, another red flag. If it's a busy flight, it's likely that upgrades are processed once check in closes, and boarding
cards updated at the gate for those that are successful. If you're checked-in on your Premium Standby E-ticket, and you don't get an upgrade at the gate, you couldn't then try
and use your other non-premium E-ticket. Well you could if BA were prepared to off-load you, and re-check you in. Not really likely at any gate situation.

My view is that unless you are prepared/don't mind losing the cash, on any busy flight, just buy a normal standby. The BA staff travel site, regarding loads, even within 24 hours
of departure can be all over the place. You might have firm staff confirmed in Club, WT+ and WT, with some already upgraded, some to be upgraded at check-in, and some to be upgraded
at the gate.
Old Nov 20, 19, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyphillm3 View Post
My view is that unless you are prepared/don't mind losing the cash, on any busy flight, just buy a normal standby. The BA staff travel site, regarding loads, even within 24 hours
of departure can be all over the place. You might have firm staff confirmed in Club, WT+ and WT, with some already upgraded, some to be upgraded at check-in, and some to be upgraded
at the gate.
Yep - that pretty much matches my observations - even up to the last minute it's kind of hard to determine what's what with any kind of certainty, hence you're really always risking what I'm going to call the Type 1 or Type 2 outcomes as outlined in my first post! But as a rule of thumb I've just come to the conclusion to not bother with premium standby on routes with a lot of confirmed staff (unless there's a huge surplus of premium seats beyond the no. of firm staff - then of course this doesn't really happen given our load factors). Not complaining as I appreciate I'm still very lucky to get the privilege but it's just frustrating that it could be so easily improved if we did partial refunds (I'm told other airlines do this for staff travel as well). But hey ho!

Thank you!
Old Nov 21, 19, 12:09 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post

One interesting point of staff travel is that you can make a booking, get a PNR, but not ticket. When you pay your flight gets ticketed on 125 stock.
I find it interesting that you can have a ticket without there being availability...

Normal Customer
Holding (e.g. via a travel agent, ticketing deadlines to the side for a minute) a "seat" from a fare class is free and easy. You say take 1x M class seat. No cost. The ticketing bit confirms and pays for the seat/reservation. You end up with availability + a ticket = you travel.

Staff Travel
You purchase a ticket without there being any availability. A 125 ticket does not mean you are travelling!(to a normal customer a 125 ticket number is critical!). The availability is found and (not always!) added after.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by 000 View Post
I find it interesting that you can have a ticket without there being availability...

Normal Customer
Holding (e.g. via a travel agent, ticketing deadlines to the side for a minute) a "seat" from a fare class is free and easy. You say take 1x M class seat. No cost. The ticketing bit confirms and pays for the seat/reservation. You end up with availability + a ticket = you travel.

Staff Travel
You purchase a ticket without there being any availability. A 125 ticket does not mean you are travelling!(to a normal customer a 125 ticket number is critical!). The availability is found and (not always!) added after.
It may sound odd in the airline context but actually itís not dissimilar to having a normal train ticket without a seat reservation (albeit that standing is of course not allowed on planes).

I travel on standby very regularly and once you get used to how it works it can feel quite normal. The frustration for me is many/most airlines donít allow you to OLCI on standby, so you need to go to checkin to get a BP which can be a pain time-wise.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:40 am

Normal Customer

Staff Travel
Well itís called standby for a reason... plus thereís always jumpseats!
Old Nov 21, 19, 2:06 am

Normal Customer

Staff Travel
Any half decent travel agent is also able to sell you a ticket pending confirmation in any booking class providing it hasn't been closed. In ExpertFlyer you might see Y3 B3 M1 K0 LC VC OC as an example. Y/BM are where there's availability, K would be possible to waitlist for, L/V/O are all closed for waitlist. I believe status in Exec Club /OW would also prioritise you in the waitlist, although there's no guarantee revenue management would confirm you for K class if they felt the flight was suitably full.
Old Nov 21, 19, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
What's the damage?

We have about 3 threads per day on "Why is my flight delayed?" and "There was club suite on my flight and now it ain't", I'm sure we can afford a small thread on staff travel from somebody who probably like the anonimity of Flyertalk. Nobody is giving out Alex's bank details, so it's not exactly state secrets.
The damage is that I don't really want people flaunting their access to cheap and free tickets in premium cabins or indeed anywhere else on a plane when I pay a lot for the privilege and then get crap service.

There was time when staff travel was something people kept well below the radar ( I knew a lot of people who had access) but like so much now, its flaunted and whined about on public forums.

Its a perk, indeed a fabulous perk for those who can use it and can use it well. Good luck to you! I just don't think it should be discussed on any public forum or used to metaphorically rub commercial passengers noses in it. I am particularly irritated by the idea that staff don't pay tax! ( I suspect this may not be true) You may not pay your employers outrageous fees that they pass on to the rest of us, that's one thing, but I would hope that you do pay all the usual airport fees and departure taxes in full.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by binman View Post
The damage is that I don't really want people flaunting their access to cheap and free tickets in premium cabins or indeed anywhere else on a plane when I pay a lot for the privilege and then get crap service.

There was time when staff travel was something people kept well below the radar ( I knew a lot of people who had access) but like so much now, its flaunted and whined about on public forums.

Its a perk, indeed a fabulous perk for those who can use it and can use it well. Good luck to you! I just don't think it should be discussed on any public forum or used to metaphorically rub commercial passengers noses in it. I am particularly irritated by the idea that staff don't pay tax! ( I suspect this may not be true) You may not pay your employers outrageous fees that they pass on to the rest of us, that's one thing, but I would hope that you do pay all the usual airport fees and departure taxes in full.
Iím speaking for myself and not for the OP, but never in my time as an airline employee did I consider flaunting the perk of staff travel or went on the rub it in other peopleís noses. Ever. Never - not even on duty - ordered for my meal before checking that there were options for others (ďIíll have whatever you have leftĒ was my standard), never asked for PJs or washbags. I volunteered my seat when otherís IFEs were broken and so on, as I shouldíve, for I knew that those around me were paying my bills. And the overwhelming majority of those who travel on standby do exactly the same.

On the other hand, if I had a dime for every time Iíve seen airline employees being treated like sub-humans by self-obsessed, selfish individuals who think theyíre worthier than anyone else because of the shiny bit of plastic hanging off their Rimowas Iíd be getting a lot closer to affording the big trip Iím saving up for.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:17 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by binman View Post
I am particularly irritated by the idea that staff don't pay tax! ( I suspect this may not be true) You may not pay your employers outrageous fees that they pass on to the rest of us, that's one thing, but I would hope that you do pay all the usual airport fees and departure taxes in full.
Tax is paid on the tickets.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
Tax is paid on the tickets.
Yes. Shouldíve pointed out: APD, local departure tax and airport fees are paid on all SBY tickets. Annual concessions donít pay airport fees for the airline foots the bill but of course taxes are paid.
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:41 am

Yes. Shouldíve pointed out: APD, local departure tax and airport fees are paid on all SBY tickets. Annual concessions donít pay airport fees for the airline foots the bill but of course taxes are paid.
The taxes, fees and charges are exactly the same on an annual concession vs a normal standby (except for the extra £10 admin fee on an ABC).

Itís the fare component thatís different.
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not exactly, if you are confirmed into F or J before you pay for your ticket you pay the higher premium taxes.
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Not exactly, if you are confirmed into F or J before you pay for your ticket you pay the higher premium taxes.
Correct, Iíd forgotten that part. Surely youíd have to leave payment to the very last minute to trigger it though? Iíve never seen it happen...
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It happened to me once but back in the day when we had paper tickets, I left it to the day before travel to go and pay and the staff travel staff member told me I would have to pay the higher tax.
I cancelled the flight and rebooked the flight using my second free ticket and payed the lower tax as this ticket wasn’t confirmed and still was listed in WT.

Search this Thread