Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Worth Purchasing A Seat Assignment Ahead of Time - World Traveller Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm taking a flight in mid-December flying World Traveller Plus on a 787-8 with my wife and wondering if buying a seat assignment is worth it. I can see that, as far as purchasable seats go, there is exactly one remaining row of 2 seat left, and 2 rows of 3 seats. I'd obviously prefer to sit next to my wife and not be stuck in a couple of middle seats. But given the fact that the other 7 rows of 2 seats in the class are unavailable for purchase, I'm unsure if I should go ahead and purchase the one row left, or if more seats that are shown would be available at check in and the limited availability now isn't reflecting of what will be available at check in.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by BeanbeanBean
I'm taking a flight in mid-December flying World Traveller Plus on a 787-8 with my wife and wondering if buying a seat assignment is worth it. I can see that, as far as purchasable seats go, there is exactly one remaining row of 2 seat left, and 2 rows of 3 seats. I'd obviously prefer to sit next to my wife and not be stuck in a couple of middle seats. But given the fact that the other 7 rows of 2 seats in the class are unavailable for purchase, I'm unsure if I should go ahead and purchase the one row left, or if more seats that are shown would be available at check in and the limited availability now isn't reflecting of what will be available at check in.
Welcome. The way BA work seat allocations with status passengers being able to claim seats in advance of check in without payment leaves you with either paying now to guarantee seating together or hoping a suitable arrangement is still available at check in. Given PE is normally fairly full and potentially with single business flyers (depending upon route) paying for the remaining row of 2 seats together is well worth considering. More details would help, route + dates.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTony
Welcome. The way BA work seat allocations with status passengers being able to claim seats in advance of check in without payment leaves you with either paying now to guarantee seating together or hoping a suitable arrangement is still available at check in. Given PE is normally fairly full and potentially with single business flyers (depending upon route) paying for the remaining row of 2 seats together is well worth considering. More details would help, route + dates.
Thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure if the unavailable seats were actually unavailable, as in booked my paying customers, or if maybe they'd become available a check in, as in the case with some other airlines.

I'm flying BA 0224, from MSY to LHR on December 16th
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:09 pm

By the look of it only 13AB could be available as a twin seat configuration for anybody due to 10AF being basinet positions so blocked to all. Personally I'd consider aisle to aisle 10BD but with BA being prepared to sell 5 cheap PE seats at the present time I suspect waiting until check in will see a good free seating option being available.

Edit: The aim being to grab 10A at T-24 as only GCH+ can attempt to get assigned this seat in advance

Last edited by UKTony; Nov 19, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

By the look of it only 13AB could be available as a twin seat configuration for anybody due to 10AF being basinet positions so blocked to all. Personally I'd consider aisle to aisle 10BD but with BA being prepared to sell 5 cheap PE seats at the present time I suspect waiting until check in will see a good free seating option being available.
Appreciate the insight!

I don't see the option to grab 10B and 10D on my end (there are no aisle to aisle options available), but that's not a bad idea if it does become available.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:33 pm

Appreciate the insight!

I don't see the option to grab 10B and 10D on my end (there are no aisle to aisle options available), but that's not a bad idea if it does become available.
Expertflyer has 10BD available so it looks like BA's seating software is playing with you to try and optimise revenue. GCH/SCH will be seated now so that leaves Bronze at T-7D then you and everybody else at T-24hrs which looks pretty good given the route and date. Going for the basinets give your significant leavage it wanting to trade seats with others.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:40 pm

Appreciate the insight!

Expertflyer has 10BD available so it looks like BA's seating software is playing with you to try and optimise revenue. GCH/SCH will be seated now so that leaves Bronze at T-7D then you and everybody else at T-24hrs which looks pretty good given the route and date. Going for the basinets give your significant leavage it wanting to trade seats with others.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
It is true what UKTony says about Golds and Silvers will most likely have chosen seats by now. However, given that WTP is a business-traveller heavy cabin, you should take into account that the flight is still almost a month away and that many business travellers tend to book closer to departure. For that reason, the remaining desirable seat combinations may well go somewhere between now and OLCI when you will be able to select your seats for free.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The bassinet seats don't always become available to choose at T-24hrs. Even as Silver and Gold I have had to call up multiple times to have these seats allocated at t-24hrs to me, with about a 80% success rate, the other times I have had to enquire at the airport where I wasn't so lucky. Depending on this tactic is a risky one and could result in all other pairs being taken leaving it so late.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Looking at the seatmap, I'd pay for 13A&B now if sitting in a row of 2 seats is your strong preference. As SKT-DK mentioned, the flight is a month away, and many business travelers book much closer in than leisure travelers. Plus, there may be OW Ruby passengers waiting for a seat pre-assignment and 10B/10K look like prized seats.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:13 pm

I'm taking a flight in mid-December flying World Traveller Plus on a 787-8 with my wife and wondering if buying a seat assignment is worth it.
How much is it worth for the peace of mind between now and December of knowing that you will definitely be sitting together for the long flight? And how much disappointment and upset would it cause if you find at check-in that you can't sit together?

Don't forget that there are probably other passengers in the same position as you, looking at the seat map and wondering when or whether to snap up those last few pairs of seats.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:02 am

The way it works is that if you want to guarantee to be sitting together you must pre-book seating. If you don't then there is always a risk you will not find seats together in WTP. It is a small cabin and many businesses will pay for the staff to travel WTP but not cough up for CW. If you can live with sitting apart for the flight and consider it not worth spending to reserve the seats then just see what is available at T-24 and grab whatever is available at OLCI. You might be lucky! On the other hand, if you think it worth spending the money to sit together then reserve now. There is no right answer. Many couples don't want to spend the money and accept sitting apart if that is necessary... others, like me, will gladly spend to reserve seats in advance as we hate flying separated. If it was me... I'd pay for 2 seats together and then relax. In the scale of the cost of the flight it isn't a lot of money added to the total IMO.

Sorry I can't be more help... it is a very personal thing so it is difficult to offer advice
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I have just flown to Barbados in PE and did not pre book. The fee to me is disproportionate - everyone will have their own view of course.

The main thing to bear in mind is that BA has this thing called " theoretical seating" in practice what this means is that the seat map they show you is what they want you to see and is not a true representation of what is actually available.

Seats that were not available to book ( PE out, Business back) became available on check in. I had been keeping a decent eye on the seats really out of geek interest as opposed to anything else.

On check in the front row ( 777 - far left and right are basinets) were showing free but could not be booked as we did not have a baby on the itinerary.

Even at check in the seating is manipulated by theoretical seating. I travel to Mallorca constantly and book basic seats. If I dont get an isle or window I pay to move. When I do that you see maybe 3-4 free seats. Select seats, dont get boring pass. Log out, go back to seating and suddenly there are dozens ( bear in mind a minute or less has past so the odds of mass changes in 60 seconds is low).

So if you want glee it then pay, but just bear in mind what you are seeing is not "real" when you use manage my booking to choose seats.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:08 am

Theoretical seating doesn't apply until T-72hrs. This far out it is pretty accurate of what is available now. At T-72 theoretical seating kicks in and some seats will become blocked but not until T-72hrs
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
It is true what UKTony says about Golds and Silvers will most likely have chosen seats by now. However, given that WTP is a business-traveller heavy cabin, you should take into account that the flight is still almost a month away and that many business travellers tend to book closer to departure. For that reason, the remaining desirable seat combinations may well go somewhere between now and OLCI when you will be able to select your seats for free.
I feel like my saving grace here would be that New Orleans simply is not a business traveler heavy destination, unless there’s a conference in town. We probably have as many business travelers to Europe in the whole metro as a city like Houston has in a block or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.