BA Welsh Language line?

Old Nov 20, 19, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Accepting the smiley, I should clarify that apart from three much rehearsed sentences (and a couple of takes), I did the rest of the interview in English. Otherwise my Welsh is confined to "left", "right", "stop" (here is your Welsh word for the day, stopio) and "good dog".

A sample size of one is fully acceptable as a counterpoint to the word "all". And the Welsh were there first, it's us immigrants that brought in foreign stuff like hybrid languages, albeit one that is now quite popular.
jagmeets, T8191 and squawk like this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
The Welsh being there first is neither here nor there, because the global pre-eminence of English as a second language has little to do with England or the English. Everyone else wants to understand popular music, movies, CNN broadcasts etc., or get a job with an international corporation, and responsibility for needing a command of English to accomplish these things rests with our cousins across the Atlantic. It isn't really down to English imperialism.
Old Nov 20, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Otherwise my Welsh is confined to "left", "right", "stop" (here is your Welsh word for the day, stopio) and "good dog".
Is your dog bilingual? Thinking about that, I have no idea if dogs can be bilingual or not!
Old Nov 20, 19, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
All Welsh speakers will also speak English. Maybe not as perfectly but for all intents and purposes fluently.
I remember visitng the Hebrides when I was a youngster and most of the oldies only ever spoke Gaelic. I suspect it'll be a lot different nowadays. Here, whenever anyone hears me speaking English to the missus they assume I'm N American.
Old Nov 20, 19, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
Is your dog bilingual? Thinking about that, I have no idea if dogs can be bilingual or not!
Ours understand Spanish and English but only ever bark in Spanish.
Old Nov 20, 19, 11:06 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Yes
Chrome has a translate plug-in. Does it support Welsh?
Diolch.
Old Nov 21, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CCayley View Post
These days, people from around the world increasingly devote time and effort to learning English as a second language, no matter how difficult it may be for them. Is it particularly unreasonable to expect the residents of North Wales to do the same, at least to the point where they can book their holiday travel unaided?
And the vast majority of residents of north Wales can do just that. However, there is a relatively small number of people, often elderly, who use almost nothing but Welsh in their everyday life, have done so all their lives, get most if not all their entertainment and news from Welsh-language media and simply aren't confident in English. Just telling them that they should bloody well make the effort to learn English isn't really very helpful.
Sam Bee, sds1493 and BarneyMcGrew like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Avios U.K. IHG Spire, Hilton Diamomd
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
Chrome has a translate plug-in. Does it support Welsh?
Diolch.
Certainly does.

interesting thread.

I often use Welsh language lines when offered. Straight through to a real person with no automated system - bendigedig!

But whilst I would love the same from BA I accept it wonít happen.

Yet to see crew wearing the orange/white badge that indicates the ability to speak Welsh but delighted to hear BA allow to be worn on the uniform.

to the OP plenty of local travel agents can help as suggested. I would recommend Baron Travel in Bangor.
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by Odiy View Post
Yet to see crew wearing the orange/white badge that indicates the ability to speak Welsh but delighted to hear BA allow to be worn on the uniform.
I'd expect the name tag of BA Welsh speakers would have Baner Cymru on it, like the flags of other languages, rather than the orange/white Cymraeg symbol. I may be wrong.
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
I'd expect the name tag of BA Welsh speakers would have Baner Cymru on it, like the flags of other languages, rather than the orange/white Cymraeg symbol. I may be wrong.
Yes, BA uses the Welsh flag, with the dragon motif. I think the only non flag is the one for British Sign Language.
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
Yes Iíve seen this, but the guy didnít speak welsh
Old Nov 22, 19, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demolineux View Post
Yes Iíve seen this, but the guy didnít speak welsh
Did he have a Welsh accent?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Did he have a Welsh accent?
Actually no! We went to the same boarding school as it turned out!
Old Nov 23, 19, 3:19 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Yes
Oh, I thought the lounge dragons are all Welsh..
T8191, plunet and cauchy like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
All Welsh speakers will also speak English. Maybe not as perfectly but for all intents and purposes fluently.
Sorry this is absolute nonsense. Apart from the welsh for microwave and some other basic welsh, I have relatives from both North and South Cymru that I had no hope of having a meaningful conversation with. Why wade-in with this assertion?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: