Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allergies - when is it too much ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:03 pm

Missed Point

After reading the first 30 comments I realized that most people missed the point of the OP.

Some (one) allergy causes planes to be cleared of the allergen. OK, fine. And it seems that most of the comments support that (though there is some mistrust of the veracity of the allergic reactions compared to the actions by the airlines).

But when it comes to something like animal dander allergies (which I have strong, but not life threatening reactions to) the inconvenience is shifted to the sufferer. I have to give up my seat, not the person with the allergen. Often that means I have to take a different flight and they usually will not even guarantee an equal class seat...regardless of if I paid for the class or if it was an upgrade.

So, one allergy is treated with care while the other as a nuisance. Frankly, I think that the airlines should move the animal owners to a different flight. It is already an established practice to clear the plane of allergens.
MSPeconomist and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Is it just me that thinks if someone has, in this case, a potentially life threatening nut allergy, inserting themselves inside a confined space, for several hours, a long way from professional medical help with a group of strangers who have little understanding of their allergy is playing Russian roulette?

Going on public transport and expecting everyone to cooperate with whatever you desire (don't smell, don't snore, don't drink too much, don't drink too little, open the window blind, close the window blind, bang my legs every time your weak bladder talks) is asking too much IMO.

If the allergy is that severe, consider taking personal responsibility for your own safety.

Puts on Flack Jacket, hard hat and Hi-Viz.
This is where I stand, also, especially as we are talking airplanes. You know, those things that often have people from other countries whose English is limited? Even if everyone who hears the announcement compiles there can be those who don't comprehend it and thus unknowingly eat the forbidden food.

If you are sensitive enough that others consuming peanuts is a threat to you then you should be wearing a mask to protect yourself. Requiring a large number of people to alter their behavior to protect you should only be mandated if you're incapable of reasonably protecting yourself.

Originally Posted by FLTripper
I can't handle strong perfumes/aftershaves and the scent of lavender. Something causes my lungs to spasm out or something, and makes it hard to breathe. I feel like I'm suffocating; I have had to have oxygen a couple of times because of it. So, for my sake, can we please ban heavy perfume/Axe/lavender users from my flights? (I can't use most room sprays, scented wax warmers or incense sticks either. I use non-scented oatmeal shea soap, non-scented shave cream, but I do use a lilac scented shampoo and conditioner; it's lightly scented and barely noticable after a couple of hours. My spouse can only use a certain kind of bath soap and deodorant.)
I hope you carry an epi-pen--this sort of reaction sound dangerous. It's also much more of an issue than nut allergies as you need a respirator suitable for organics to protect yourself, not merely a mask.

I have problems with everything you list as problematic for you, although not to the danger point. I have sat around at the office for an extra hour once when I walked into a room where the boss' wife was using some aromatherapy oils--I had to wait until I felt I could safely drive.

Originally Posted by zerosideslip
I remember being lectured by my doctor brother about the definitions of allergy versus intolerance when he said his son had a reaction when near cats and I asked if he is allergic. I think many people use the word allergy when they mean intolerance. I am not a medic so forgive me if I am over simplifying things but it seems to me an immune system reaction leading possibly to death is different from an upset stomach or facial swelling etc etc that may be darned uncomfortable but not life-threatening
The actual distinction is the mechanism of the reaction. Sensitivities are generally not actually dangerous but AFIAK that is not guaranteed.

I think facial swelling is allergy, though, not merely sensitivity.

I do agree people routinely misuse the word--not only due to not understanding the difference, but for those of us with sensitivities using the right word generally leads to a failure to communicate. Saying "allergy" gets the right result.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 4, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Have they found a way to get the human nuts off the plane when necessary?
MRM and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would think if a traveler has such an acute reaction to airborne particles that they should be wearing a mask at all times! The airline should require it. It the airline feels the need to make the announcement, they should know not everyone follows the rules and they should require the mask. That and the person suffering the allergy should also have to show them they are carrying an EpyPen.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Talking New Airline Idea

Maybe some smart money guy (like Herb Kellher was) needs to come up with a NEW Airline. Something like Nutz Arent Us. Maybe they could research a few more of those paranoid allergy issues that Snow Flakes want to make out like it is Armageddon over them. Then you can fly Safely on them. No More complaining to GA's and CSO's and all the other acronyms that work at the airport. So what if it costs more than that Super Cheapo Fare you found. Isnt your life worth it. If not, Book Away but keep quiet cause a bunch of us are sick of hearing about it and really dont care anymore.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
A study has shown that giving peanut products to babies could help prevent peanut allergy. We also know from research that decreased exposure to infections in early life could lead to an increased risk of allergy. Not surprisningly, a term such as helicopter (or, more recently, bulldozer or snowplough) parenting has been around for less than thirty years. I miss the days before then, coincidentally also roughly prior to the Airline Deregulation Act.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:15 pm
MRM

Programs: onepass
I'll start altering my onboard routine with food when idiots quit bringing their non-service animals onboard and expect everyone to kiss their butts and adulate them for doing so - instead of putting them in cargo where they belong.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Originally Posted by Redhead
I am the mother of a child with a peanut allergy. We are blessed that we completed OIT (Oral Immunotherapy - www.oit101.org ) and she is not longer reactive. But the flights that we took before her OIT completion were nerve-racking experiences. We knew she was reactive only upon ingestion, but we still wiped down all seats, arm rests, tables, etc. We do have friends who ARE highly reactive and even touching something touched by someone eating nuts will send them into anaphalaxis. So if someone eats nuts on the plane and then opens the bathroom door, and then my friend opens that bathroom door, she could go into anaphalaxis. I appreciate the inconvienence, but really, this is someone's life. We flew with 3 sets (so 6 total) epi-pens - but most people can't afford to travel with $1,800 worth of medicine that they hope to never use. (yes, a 2-pack of epi-pen jr costs $600 until I hit my deductible)

1 in 13 kids have a food allergy, peanuts and tree nuts are the most common allergies. All we ask for is some compassion and understanding as we try to keep our kids alive. Allergies are indeed becoming more common. They are investigating why but some suspected reasons are: overuse of anti-bacterial cleansers and increased use of pesticides and chemicals that impact our immune systems. We have zero history of food allergies in our family and I know there are none on my daughter's donors side (a plus from having 3 generations of medical history from a sperm donor).
Our 6-year old daughter was diagnosed with a peanut allergy just before her second birthday. She began OIT age 4 and graduated from it roughly a year later. To celebrate we took a family trip to Hershey, PA (highly recommend it, you don’t need more than 2-3 days, and then drive over to Gettysburg).

OIT is available for several allergies (and possibly intolerances, too). Some people claim they have an allergy but in reality they have an intolerance...I’ve been told by a doctor that people who have a gluten allergy technically have an intolerance...it may cause an upset stomach but it won’t cause anaphylaxis. And I’m sure that comment just offended someone, too. We met one family who’s child was allergic to three different foods...I believe they said she’s never been in a restaurant. I’m 40, and I don’t recall these issues growing up...I was aware of one kid with a peanut allergy in my high school (about 2700 students). I’m not sure why it’s more prevalent today. Someone in a earlier post mentioned they know someone who appears to fake an allergy...I suspect several self-diagnose and have never been diagnosed by a doctor...and would go see multiple doctors in their quest to get the diagnosis they want.

From a travel perspective we would request (and might still in the future) to board early (at least my wife) so we can wipe the seat and tray table down. We carry two epi-pens, and when we traveled to Hawaii last year for a business trip (IAH-SFO-OGG and HNL-IAH) we carried an extra set of epi-pens this was at the advice of our doctor. We’ve also been told that once epi has been given the individual needs to go to the hospital (don’t recall why...my wife knows).

We typically don’t eat at restaurants with peanuts (Texas Roadhouse, Five Guys, etc). At this point it’s simply out of an abundance of caution. Upon graduating from OIT we are still aware of cross-contamination, but don’t worry about it as much. We still read labels and typically buy name-brand items as store-brand items are often produced on equipment which may have cross-contamination.

the level of allergy varies from one person to another, and while some don’t have an issue with peanut dust in the air, I’ve heard of instances where this is an issue with others. We all (for the most part) need to travel at some point, by various means, and if an airline makes an announcement of no nuts being served then I assume 2 things: 1. The airline’s attorney has provided guidance and they may be operating more conservative than necessary (which is probably to be expected this day and age), and 2. Someone took the effort to mention to the staff of the allergy.

My hunch is this request is made on less than 5% of flights (no data to back that up, just a guess). Is it an inconvenience? Yes. Can you get over it? Yes. And for families with really serious issues that flight may be the only option they have for travel and they are probably stressed beyond belief.
Redhead likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:50 pm

Who are these people that value human life more than dog life?

Why couldn’t they just roll over in their ignorance about Haber process, GMOs, EM radiation, etc that contributed to evolving human allergies, bee decimation and such. How dare they ask me to move my dog, my only friend after my divorce?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:52 pm

Love Trail Mix

I don't care for crackers, pretzels and chips. I always travel with trail mix. I think it is good food that satiates my hunger on a flight. I am classified as "mostly deaf." Can't hear the boarding info nor the PA on board. So obviously I have never heard don't eat this or that.

Last edited by Hondu54; Dec 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm Reason: correction
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm fine with lavender but some fragrances are rather problematic to the extent that I import my laundry detergents and put everything through extra rinse cycles.
Import? You can't buy fragrance-free laundry detergent where you are?

(Now, the one that I can't find fragrance free is dish detergent. Fortunately, not all fragrances are a problem.)

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I appreciate that too, but if you're that allergic, how are you coping with life in general, and why aren't you wearing personal protection that would avoid allergen on skin contact?
Yup. There are plenty of other surfaces one might touch other than on the airplane. If skin contact with a contaminated surface is a problem I would think she would have to wear gloves basically all the time in public. A no-nut announcement isn't safety from this.

Originally Posted by mikem004
Wouldn't wearing a surgical face mask reduce exposure to airborne smells or "particles"?
A cheap way of reducing risk without inconveniencing those passengers who wish to eat nuts or drink alcohol.
Particles, yes. Smells, no.

Note, also, that normal masks aren't 100%. While I am not dangerously allergic to crabgrass I will be wiped out for a few hours from even a minute of associating with it. Normal masks provide almost no benefit. Good stick-on masks provide complete protection (but the ones I have are $4/each and they are single-use items--and you can't eat or drink with them on. I ended up buying a respirator for when I'm dealing with the grass growing around the trees. Just as good protection but much cheaper in the long run.)

Originally Posted by tex1899
OIT is available for several allergies (and possibly intolerances, too). Some people claim they have an allergy but in reality they have an intolerance...I’ve been told by a doctor that people who have a gluten allergy technically have an intolerance...it may cause an upset stomach but it won’t cause anaphylaxis.
Thinking about it you're right--gluten is an intolerance.

I’m 40, and I don’t recall these issues growing up...I was aware of one kid with a peanut allergy in my high school (about 2700 students). I’m not sure why it’s more prevalent today. Someone in a earlier post mentioned they know someone who appears to fake an allergy...I suspect several self-diagnose and have never been diagnosed by a doctor...and would go see multiple doctors in their quest to get the diagnosis they want.
It does seem to be a lot more common. I have seen considerable speculation that it's due to our environment being so much cleaner--our immune system, especially the part that hunts parasites, isn't called on to do nearly as much and sometimes it goes haywire and starts going after things that aren't a threat.

The average person does not know the medical difference between allergy and intolerance. Self-diagnosis will generally be unable to tell them apart. Also, I've encountered a decent number of people who I think misdiagnosed the problem. The issue is real but they missed the fact it was not the main thing that was the problem. (I've even had a doctor make this mistake with me. "Ham" does not mean "pork"! It means something that's added in the process of turning pork into ham!)

From a travel perspective we would request (and might still in the future) to board early (at least my wife) so we can wipe the seat and tray table down. We carry two epi-pens, and when we traveled to Hawaii last year for a business trip (IAH-SFO-OGG and HNL-IAH) we carried an extra set of epi-pens this was at the advice of our doctor. We’ve also been told that once epi has been given the individual needs to go to the hospital (don’t recall why...my wife knows).
The pen only buys time, it's not an actual treatment.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 4, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I hope you carry an epi-pen--this sort of reaction sound dangerous. It's also much more of an issue than nut allergies as you need a respirator suitable for organics to protect yourself, not merely a mask.

I have problems with everything you list as problematic for you, although not to the danger point. I have sat around at the office for an extra hour once when I walked into a room where the boss' wife was using some aromatherapy oils--I had to wait until I felt I could safely drive.
I have to carry one. I also have an allergy to bees and cedar/certain grass/pollen. Bees make me welt, swell, rash and have trouble breathing. Cedar/grass/pollen make it hard to breathe because I get congested, and my feeet will get a rash if I walk on fresh cut grass.

Oh, and I have an allergy to latex; I can touch it, but, for example, if I wear a pair of latex gloves for more than a few minutes, I start getting a rash and swell. Found that one out the hard way, as a teenager. yeah. Do you know how many types of socks or undergarments contain latex? A lot. (so, maybe just a sensitivity, but it's darn uncomfortable and I've had to go to the hospital for it twice)

The bee allergy is the only one I've had since I was young; latex popped up sometime during my teen years. The others have appeared over the last 10 years, along with a diagnosis of psoriasis and, five years ago, psoriatic arthritis.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG
But again, with all due respect, it is the person with the allergy that has a problem and as there is no way for them to know for sure on a flight of many that one individual might open a bag of nuts...it is they agreeing to take the risk to their own health, are they not? I mean the level of rude and inconsiderate and ignorant people on the ground...let alone in the air is so much greater than I sensed in the past. Out of a full plane I can't imagine someone not having some nuts.

Well, Lavender and other florals are the ones that really make me feel awful...though I can usually tolerate some citrus.
clbish and mikem004 like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 4, 2019 at 2:37 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The pen only buys time, it's not an actual treatment.
Wrong. Epinephrine is the standard treatment for anaphylaxis.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: QF WP
Asked upthread, the reason why you have to go to the hospital after having an epi pen is basically 2 fold
1) potential for a biphasic allergic reaction (ie the allergen is still inside causing a problem but the adrenaline wears off before the allergen is completely eliminated)
2) adrenaline puts a massive strain on the heart- some hospitals have protocols about cardiac monitoring for 12 hours following it

there are other treatments for anaphylaxis/allergies which generally last longer but take longer to work (E.g. steroids and antihistamines) but adrenaline is the mainstay
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.