Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
An empty suitcase? Only in my dreams!
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by parklife
I've never manged to come back from the US with less than I took! My better half would not allow us to bypass a shopping trip!
Yes, although not so much recently with the exchange rate the way it is - most things I want seem cheaper here. However, I face a similar issue with my annual pre-Christmas trip. I take lots of presents out, and bring back lots of presents for my family here. The trouble is that I never know how bulky the presents coming back will be, so I tend to do a lot of juggling of space requirements. Bubble wrap is your friend.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
If you are genuinely concerned, spread the contents of 1 suitcase over the 3 cases on the way back?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks.

Spreading stuff out is an option. Depends on whether the stuff inside would rattle around I suppose. Clothes would be OK.

I think I might leave a note inside explaining why the case is empty. They all have TSA locks.

This is totally new to me. I have never in my life had this problem and never travelled before with an empty case. Normally it is taking stuff out to make the weight!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Bubble wrap is your friend.
Indeed - I have travelled to places with a suitcase containing sundry clothes, etc, and a large quantity of bubble wrap. On return, the bag was filled with bubble-wrapped bottles of the finest wines known to humanity [1] and similar items.

[1] Or at least reasonably good wine in my opinion
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
May not suit OP this time but in general charities for homeless and children in care always welcome suitcases. They have many who have to move their belongings in plastic bags. Giving them suitcases allows them to move their belongings with some dignity.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jahason
May not suit OP this time but in general charities for homeless and children in care always welcome suitcases. They have many who have to move their belongings in plastic bags. Giving them suitcases allows them to move their belongings with some dignity.
I would love to do that if my suitcases were not nearly new and quite expensive. I will consider buying cheap, secondhand suitcases next time though so I can leave them there with a charity as you suggest. Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I occasionally fly with empty suitcases and have never had an issue. I typically do it on pleasure trips to the US or UK if planning to do some clothes shopping.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just go on a shopping spree and fill them up with "American " goodiees
maybe also some winter jackets... heck what ever you fancy
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Can you put 1 inside the other?
Being empty they will be more likely to be damaged, unless hard shell
Once we were on DEN - LHR - AMS with BA, and we had an empty large suitacse and a 5% full much smaller one. We packed the smaller one into the larger one and checked in the larger bag. Upon collecting the suitcase at AMS, we discovered that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (are they the ones that also check departures from the US??) had broken the padlock to inspect the bag. They left a printed off template note, however!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
I should have paid more attention in physics class to all the supportive qualities of soft cotton undies.
Now I've heard it all!!

Physics!!

Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
Just go on a shopping spree and fill them up with "American " goodiees
maybe also some winter jackets... heck what ever you fancy
Don't forget the chlorinated chicken!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yanshuf
Once we were on DEN - LHR - AMS with BA, and we had an empty large suitacse and a 5% full much smaller one. We packed the smaller one into the larger one and checked in the larger bag. Upon collecting the suitcase at AMS, we discovered that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (are they the ones that also check departures from the US??) had broken the padlock to inspect the bag. They left a printed off template note, however!
That's why you should use only TSA approved locks.

Imagine how weird your "Russian doll" suitcases appear if they are X-rayed - they are almost guaranteed to be opened and inspected if screened.
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:13 am

I travel with empty suit cases all the time for goodies. And who says that I'm lugging them around. That's what the help is for.

And I don't trust a lot of cheap suit cases that I would buy in TK Maxx/TJ Maxx.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The best bet, after nesting them if possible, is to fill them with packing material such as air pods.
Sounds like an expensive option to me
irishguy28 and mtofell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.