Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA282 - Cabin Lights won't turn off!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

BA282 - Cabin Lights won't turn off!

Currently on BA282 upper deck and a a section of the cabin lights won't turn off and are at full brightness. It's above row 63 but obviously disruptive to the whole cabin. To the crew's credit, the CSD has been frantically running up and down the stairs trying to fix the issue but so far the lights have been cycled a few times and still no luck. About 6 hours to go and time for some shut eye so I hope they shut off soon!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
That sounds scary for a long transatlantic red-eye flight. Does the White Company personal amenity kit have eyeshades, it may help.
By the way, don't forget to fill out a feedback form via ba.com. At least you would get a voucher worth 50 or 100 GBP.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I’ve had this before on a 744 and the crew were very distressed. BA Customer Relations weren’t sympathetic.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by tom139
BA Customer Relations weren’t sympathetic.
Are they ever sympathetic?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Cris L
Are they ever sympathetic?
They are normally pretty good nowadays, I find. The only thing I found them to be unsympathetic recently has been about the lack of priority baggage handling.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
From the collective experience, is this best dealt with (in terms of complaint/voucher/Avios potential) by going through the CSD at the time, who clearly grasped the concern, rather than processing a claim through a relatively detached and less understanding customer service team?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
From the collective experience, is this best dealt with (in terms of complaint/voucher/Avios potential) by going through the CSD at the time, who clearly grasped the concern, rather than processing a claim through a relatively detached and less understanding customer service team?
You need to got hrough the process as I'd be surprised if the CSD has any power to award compensation in any form other than what they can lay their hands on on board. I would however mention the CSD in my complaint and their great efforts to resolve what they clearly felt was an unacceptable situation for the passengers.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
That sounds scary for a long transatlantic red-eye...
Irritating and annoying but not particularly scary.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by golfmad
Irritating and annoying but not particularly scary.
I suppose it's a safety issue if the lights can't be turned off for take off / landing during the hours of darkness.

I had this happen on a 747 in F a couple of years ago - lights and IFE screens at the front of the cabin (including my seat) wouldn't turn off for a TATL overnight back to LHR. Cabin crew tried everything they could including resetting all the onboard electronics multiple times but no dice. This was when BA's customer service/recovery was at its nadir and I received 10k Avios which was pathetic for a ruined night of sleep in F. You should, I think, expect something a little bit more than that now, B-HQC.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

I had this happen on a 747 in F a couple of years ago - lights and IFE screens at the front of the cabin (.
I had the reverse earlier this month. All electrics had to be switched off for the duration of the flight about 2 hours in to a transatlantic as a precaution against fire due to an overheating IFE unit. No seat movements (other than manual by the crew) no IFE and no lights at all.

I did do rather better than you on the compensation though.

Last edited by golfmad; Nov 17, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: QF WP
This is LAX-LHR I think for those not in the know
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Personally I wouldn't complain on board in case the CSD was tempted to resolve the situation by moving me to a downstairs middle seat...
James91 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
The one thing I look for in an amenity bag is a good eye mask. BA are well up to scratch in this area so hopefully this would not have been a problem for me.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If there were seats available downstairs these seats should have been offered to customers upstairs, if a customer refused I would have completed the customer recover form saying so and no compensation to be offered, CR would get this form and await any claim. Unless there is a very good reason why the seat downstairs was not acceptable CR would follow the CSDs suggestion.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Well here’s hoping it’s fixed for today’s flight as I’m in 64k later on. Eye mask packed in any case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.