Search

BA Punishing Low fare ExClub Members?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

<snip>

Just use your remaining posts wisely, a message valid for all FTers actually!
A very valuable comment. Where can I find how many remaining posts I have, to be able to follow your advise and use them wisely?

Would this be the FT equivalent of BA's CIV score?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by onobond
A very valuable comment. Where can I find how many remaining posts I have, to be able to follow your advise and use them wisely?

Would this be the FT equivalent of BA's CIV score?
Reading is nearly as important as writing: c-w-s was pointing out the 5-posts-in-your-first-24-hours limit.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
This genuinely isn't meant as a snipe at the OP, but if a passenger on the cheapest fare and with no BA status isn't supposed to sit in the unfavoured middle-seat, then who is?!

If it were a Gold member or full-fare Y passenger, then they'd be on here complaining too, and with more reason to.

Someone has to sit in the less popular seats after all!!
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by krispy84
Did you buy an HBO fare?

Sounds like you bought a cheap ticket, that plus buying it from a non-BA source can result in upgrade restrictions.

EDIT: Welcome as well, am on my phone so can’t see post count.
Most of my bookings made by Amex GBT, which I'm careful to book only when the appropriate fare class is shown in Concur, chuck the 'contact travel agent' when trying to upgrade... Usually the BA Twitter folks can sort it but it just doesn't work through MMB.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by armouredant
Reading is nearly as important as writing: c-w-s was pointing out the 5-posts-in-your-first-24-hours limit.
But of course. Although the reading of a post also include the notice of an eventual smiley, and understanding the implication thereof.
DYKWIA and bisonrav like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Robin_Saunter
Companies won't pay for flexible business class tickets like they used to and I'm forced to fly economy and at bargain prices. I understand that BA's first priority is to make a profit by encouraging full fares but this kind of behaviour makes me disinclined to use BA in the future. Like so many others...

Many thanks for the information. Much obliged.

That's very good to know. Many thanks for the quick reply.
My company does. To every employee, from the CEO to the intern lab technician, that has to travel more than 6h. We can't book flexible by default (because it is normally cheaper to pay the change fee), but we are entitled to J.

Negotiating a good travel policy is of paramount importance for a job that requires travel.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
This genuinely isn't meant as a snipe at the OP, but if a passenger on the cheapest fare and with no BA status isn't supposed to sit in the unfavoured middle-seat, then who is?!

If it were a Gold member or full-fare Y passenger, then they'd be on here complaining too, and with more reason to.

Someone has to sit in the less popular seats after all!!
No status would indicate zero frequent flyer membership of any kind whatsoever. Not every passenger on any given flight is going to have a frequent flyer membership, let alone one with a snazzy oneworld jewel attached.

I think that perhaps the OP feels that despite the acknowledged cheap third party ticket, having a blue card might possibly count for something - even if that something just means not being relegated to a back row middle seat when travelling solo.

I think anyone who values even a tiny ounce of personal comfort of would be doing anything they could to get moved out of that seat.... Just like the OP is doing.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Who knows how long any of us have left? For all I know, I may have no remaining posts!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:04 am

You are not being punished. You are not paying for benefits (or status perks) that you desire.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The obverse of OP's "punishment" are people who travel at the last minute, have status, and pay top dollar for walk-up fares. If they are relegated to a middle seat backing onto the loo, they may well take their business elsewhere.

Such a person might well complain that they had been "punished" for paying a king's ransom for a ticket.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Often1
The obverse of OP's "punishment" are people who travel at the last minute, have status, and pay top dollar for walk-up fares. If they are relegated to a middle seat backing onto the loo, they may well take their business elsewhere.

Such a person might well complain that they had been "punished" for paying a king's ransom for a ticket.
If somebody books a last minute fare, then surely all the seats would have been allocated anyway? BA won't move somebody who has already got a BP for an aisle seat.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If somebody books a last minute fare, then surely all the seats would have been allocated anyway? BA won't move somebody who has already got a BP for an aisle seat.
And that's the point of Theoretical Seating. Somewhere in those maps above there is an X reserved for whoever booked the last seat, probably at top dollar, and it won't be in the middle. That said, if they open up Y1 now (quite possible) there is nevertheless the risk they won't get a seat at all, so it's not perfect by any means.

Just to show how time makes a difference, here is the current view of WT and WTP to compare with above.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And that's the point of Theoretical Seating. Somewhere in those maps above there is an X reserved for whoever booked the last seat, probably at top dollar, and it won't be in the middle. That said, if they open up Y1 now (quite possible) there is nevertheless the risk they won't get a seat at all, so it's not perfect by any means.

Just to show how time makes a difference, here is the current view of WT and WTP to compare with above.
OK - thanks. I never did really understand TS... but that makes sense! I thought it was just blocking seats next to elites
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
OK - thanks. I never did really understand TS... but that makes sense! I thought it was just blocking seats next to elites
it is much cleverer than that and as per the seating map in this thread at T-72, blocks much more than just seats besides elites. As per my earlier post on this thread there is a block of 3 in one row around row 35 (I later notice all 4 middle section seats block in the forward cabin), it will be aware of groups on one PNR/families and do what it can to block seats appropriately to allow those groups to have an option to sit together when they check in.

but that is all for the TS thread which perhaps this thread should get merged into
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Blue Ex Club Poster

Many thanks all for the helpful replies to my original post. Dropped off bags at T5 and enlisted reluctant help from BA staff - they did warm up a bit after some chat and I think I detected a certain antagonism towards BA management. Did overhear some unhelpful exchanges with pax over the self-service system. Flight overbooked but I'm assured I'm OK. Still stuck in the middle seat right at the back. I've travelled extensively for 40 odd years and I guess this is lesson in the need to pay up and look big. Oh well. Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.