Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confusion over when my status becomes valid?

Confusion over when my status becomes valid?

Old Nov 14, 19, 6:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KUL
Programs: BAEC, QRPC
Posts: 208
Confusion over when my status becomes valid?

Hi all,

my parents are gunning for BAEC Gold from blue. Theyíve racked up plenty of tier points, and finally got the 2 flight requirement done (itís listed in their account as Bronze membership achieved) but their online membership card and account still states that they are Blue level. Itís important they get Bronze because theyíll be wanting to get a free check in bag with Finnair tomorrow. When is Bronze status considered valid? In the ďprogress to next tierĒ section itís listed as Bronze achieved but like I said, the card hasnít changed colour.

thanks all
ms101 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:09 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 12,285
it takes a couple of days after the flights that get you bronze post for they system to fully update

Try refreshing their accounts in the app / website as that sometimes works

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

But I'm puzzled you think that Bronze (one world ruby) gets a free bag on Finnair as it's not mentioned on their website

https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/inform...hecked-baggage
nancypants and alex67500 like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Nov 14, 19 at 6:15 pm
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:29 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KUL
Programs: BAEC, QRPC
Posts: 208
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
it takes a couple of days after the flights that get you bronze post for they system to fully update

Try refreshing their accounts in the app / website as that sometimes works

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

But I'm puzzled you think that Bronze (one world ruby) gets a free bag on Finnair as it's not mentioned on their website

https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/inform...hecked-baggage
Damn. Itís been two days. Fingers crossed that Finnair would be okay with it, otherwise thatís a £40 charge yikes.

I used the checked baggage allowance calculator and also the page for Finnair silver (?) the oneworld ruby equivalent anyway.
ms101 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:32 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,308
Originally Posted by ms101 View Post
Damn. Itís been two days. Fingers crossed that Finnair would be okay with it, otherwise thatís a £40 charge yikes.

I used the checked baggage allowance calculator and also the page for Finnair silver (?) the oneworld ruby equivalent anyway.
Often airlines give perks to their own FFers but not to the equivalent level of alliance elites unless the alliance requires it.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:43 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 12,285
One world ruby status does not mention any free or extra baggage allowance.

It would be wrong to assume that you get the same benefits as a Finnair status passenger because their status is equivalent to a one world status that you have.

As to becoming bronze it's been two days since the flights or two days since the flights have posted? If the latter then refresh their accounts in the app. Finnair won't give any benefits unless they see proof such as the app showing a bronze card
nancypants likes this.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:51 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KUL
Programs: BAEC, QRPC
Posts: 208
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
One world ruby status does not mention any free or extra baggage allowance.

It would be wrong to assume that you get the same benefits as a Finnair status passenger because their status is equivalent to a one world status that you have.

As to becoming bronze it's been two days since the flights or two days since the flights have posted? If the latter then refresh their accounts in the app. Finnair won't give any benefits unless they see proof such as the app showing a bronze card
apologies then, the baggage calculator doesnít give me the option for choosing a oneworld tier.

its the latter. Hopefully by tomorrow itíll sort itself out. Would still be nice to have business class check in perks.
ms101 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:53 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KUL
Programs: BAEC, QRPC
Posts: 208
Thank you to the rest for the advice! Shelling out £40 isnít too bad in the grand scheme of things. Just annoying that BA switched us to this flight and I canít prepay for baggage which would have cost less.
ms101 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 12:55 am
  #8  
Jed
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 681
Finnair silver (their own Ruby tier) gets a free checked bag on Finnair light fares, but other Oneworld Ruby (eg BA bronze) does not unfortunately.
Any Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald gets the free bag.
Jed is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 4:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,455
Originally Posted by ms101 View Post
Hi all,

my parents are gunning for BAEC Gold from blue. Theyíve racked up plenty of tier points, and finally got the 2 flight requirement done (itís listed in their account as Bronze membership achieved) but their online membership card and account still states that they are Blue level. Itís important they get Bronze because theyíll be wanting to get a free check in bag with Finnair tomorrow. When is Bronze status considered valid? In the ďprogress to next tierĒ section itís listed as Bronze achieved but like I said, the card hasnít changed colour.

thanks all
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Finnair silver (their own Ruby tier) gets a free checked bag on Finnair light fares, but other Oneworld Ruby (eg BA bronze) does not unfortunately.
Any Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald gets the free bag.
Are they flying on a Finnair "Economy Light" Fare (which would make much sense in TP earnings)? If not, they will get a free checked bag flying a regular economy ticket without being recognized as bronze/OWR.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 5:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by ms101 View Post
Hi all,

my parents are gunning for BAEC Gold from blue. Theyíve racked up plenty of tier points, and finally got the 2 flight requirement done (itís listed in their account as Bronze membership achieved) but their online membership card and account still states that they are Blue level. Itís important they get Bronze because theyíll be wanting to get a free check in bag with Finnair tomorrow. When is Bronze status considered valid? In the ďprogress to next tierĒ section itís listed as Bronze achieved but like I said, the card hasnít changed colour.

thanks all
Isn't it four flight requirements on BA/IB metal?
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 5:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,446
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Isn't it four flight requirements on BA/IB metal?
bronze is only two but theyíll need a few more to get to gold
nancypants is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 7:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,966
Originally Posted by ms101 View Post
Thank you to the rest for the advice! Shelling out £40 isnít too bad in the grand scheme of things. Just annoying that BA switched us to this flight and I canít prepay for baggage which would have cost less.
Since nothing mentioned about the flight route, let me just hope the BA->AY switch is on the LHR-HEL trade. Chances are high you will fly on a LH aircraft, as 2-3 of AY's daily flights are A330 or A350. Should thst be the case, you scored a win, regardless of your luggage obstacles
onobond is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: