TCP & Row 1 in CE?

Old Nov 14, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
TCP & Row 1 in CE?

Hi all,

I have done a TCP as a GCH on a CE flight next week. I would like to move that person into row one to sit next to me. Is this possible? Or does row 1 CE mean advanced seat reservations only for golds like First?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Yes - this should be fine in CE. On a single PNR, as long as there is a Gold, then other pax on the PNR can select row 1. I would assume it should be the same for TCP.
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes I have done it before and TCP + free seat selection to move a non-gold next to me in row 1 in CE.
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks. It's odd as I called to do TCP last night and this morning she still isn't seeing a seat and just the £ to select any seat...i'll call again!
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Thanks. It's odd as I called to do TCP last night and this morning she still isn't seeing a seat and just the £ to select any seat...i'll call again!
It takes about 2-3 days to action once you have requested it.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: Up in the air...
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
It takes about 2-3 days to action once you have requested it.
Does this not need to be requested over the phone as a GCH requesting a seat assignment for someone travelling with them on a separate PNR (done manually by the back-office teams)?
I get from the above that the OP had not requested the seat assignment for the other traveler - only a TCP was requested.
My understanding was that doing a TCP did not extend the seating and other privileges of the GCH in the same way that a single PNR does, and therefore the additional traveler would not be able to do this him/herself online through MMB... but happy to be corrected (and very surprised if BA's IT can handle that)!
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by FT-Diplomat View Post
Does this not need to be requested over the phone as a GCH requesting a seat assignment for someone travelling with them on a separate PNR (done manually by the back-office teams)?
I get from the above that the OP had not requested the seat assignment for the other traveler - only a TCP was requested.
My understanding was that doing a TCP did not extend the seating and other privileges of the GCH in the same way that a single PNR does, and therefore the additional traveler would not be able to do this him/herself online through MMB... but happy to be corrected (and very surprised if BA's IT can handle that)!
Yes, as you say needs doing at the same time. I had assumed the OP requested the TCP and the seat selection on the phone together?
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I did a TCP earlier this year, I had to request it over the phone and the seating request was sent off to the back room team for processing. The agent on the phone advised me that after it had been approved I wouldn't be able to reselect seats online for both of us. There were only two us and we were travelling in WT anyway but at least I got to sit with my (Blue) friend. And in the end we were lucky enough to get an OpUp to WT+
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I did request the TCP and for her specific seat during the same call last night. The agent seemed unsure of the seating issue but was aware of TCP. I need to call them again now...fun times x
Old Nov 14, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I did request the TCP and for her specific seat during the same call last night. The agent seemed unsure of the seating issue but was aware of TCP. I need to call them again now...fun times x
if you requested it yesterday as mentioned it can take 2 to 3 days for the back office to allocate the seat. Hope that another gold doesn’t book the seat in the meantime

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Nov 14, 19 at 7:12 pm
Old Nov 14, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes indeed! I called again and it turned out the request didn’t go through to the ‘gold seating team’ so only the technical linking had happened. Worth noting for people who need this in the future. Fingers crossed they do it tomorrow.
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is anyone able to confirm (or deny) that you are now no longer able to ask Gold Seating to select Row 1 for your non-gold companion on a linked booking (TCP?) - and that this is only now allowed if you are both on the same PNR....
Old Jul 2, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CaroFos View Post
Is anyone able to confirm (or deny) that you are now no longer able to ask Gold Seating to select Row 1 for your non-gold companion on a linked booking (TCP?) - and that this is only now allowed if you are both on the same PNR....
I was told this the other week when I phoned for a short haul route. I told her that rule was for long haul only and in the end she agreed to submit the request and see if it works. About 5 days later we are now all seated in Row 1.
Old Jul 2, 20, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by CaroFos View Post
I was denied my request this week for a CE flight, yes. I'm booked in cash and the other pax is a redemption, was told I couldn't move them to row 1 so we're now in row 2. It's about 1h10 in the air, I wasn't going to have a go at the already stressed person on the phone. They sounded a bit annoyed that I'd called just for that, the tone changed distinctively when I said what I was calling about, but I can't blame them with the current environment...
Old Jul 2, 20, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
I was denied my request this week for a CE flight, yes. I'm booked in cash and the other pax is a redemption, was told I couldn't move them to row 1 so we're now in row 2. It's about 1h10 in the air, I wasn't going to have a go at the already stressed person on the phone. They sounded a bit annoyed that I'd called just for that, the tone changed distinctively when I said what I was calling about, but I can't blame them with the current environment...
Yes - I hear you .. but to be fair - it doesn't help when they all seem to be reading from different scripts.. I requested on Twitter (so as not to block up the phone line) ... only called when nothing happened after a week and I also had an Avios cancellation ticket that had not refunded (still not but that's another story!! ) .. then they still didn't say 'those are the rules' but simply that the request was in a queue .. so left it another week... today - this is what I was told.. I was also told they can't call seating department - but today they could - and tried but couldn't override the seat block ... so it's just hard to know if it's a case of HUACA or what?! but you are right.. it's not something to keep going on about in the current climate .. it's just a bit frustrating when the seat is free (for now) and obviously I would much rather sit in Row 1 and technically (so I thought) I should be allowed to as I've done it a number or times in the past without a problem. I just wonder if it's as simple as taking me out of 1a so it unblocks 1c - popping my husband in there and then putting me back?. My inner problem solver wants to get to the bottom of it! LOL :-)
alex67500 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: