BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Old Nov 13, 19, 11:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 56
BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Hello,

After some advice. I have a BA Holiday offer to Venice for tomorrow. We are meant to be staying in the Ca’Segreado but they are currently not answering the phone.

Do you have guys have any suggestions?
xnetco is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:04 am
  #2  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,959
Have you spoken to BA Holidays to see what options are available? It might be easier to consider what to do if you know the options.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:05 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Have you spoken to BA Holidays to see what options are available? It might be easier to consider what to do if you know the options.
Thanks I'm finding it difficult to get hold of someone at BA Holidays.
xnetco is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:06 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 46,481
I agree, I think you should call the BA Holidays hotline number, in your documentation, since they will I am sure be up to date with the terrible flooding.

Strangely there is no general BA advisory for VCE at the moment.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:27 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 56
I can't seem to find the number. Does anyone have it or able to PM it to be at all please?
xnetco is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:30 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 485
You can just call the normal blue/bronz/silver/gold number. There should be a menu option for BA holidays
xnetco likes this.
Krisz is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:50 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,267
We have relatives in Venice right now. Something of a mess! Tables elevated on blocks, waiters in wellington boots etc.

Good luck to the OP.
T8191 is online now  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,042
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/77881...climate-change

"Venice is on its knees," Mayor Luigi Brugnaro says as the lagoon city suffers through some of the worst flooding in its history. The highest tide in 50 years has brought seawater that is threatening monuments and works of art in the historic city.

With more than 85 percent of the city flooded, Brugnaro says the city is in a state of emergency and that he has asked Italy's government for help.

Water driven by strong winds and storms overwhelmed seawalls and smashed brick docks, shoving boats into streets and leaving parts of landmarks such as St. Mark's Basilica and La Fenice Opera House underwater. Although the crypt at St. Mark's has been flooded, a member of the management board tells Italian news agency ANSA the main concern is that water may have damaged the basilica's support columns.

altabello likes this.
rickg523 is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver
Posts: 329
I think I'd bail on this trip. After spending 24 years in Louisiana I've learned not to mess with floods.
wakesetter93 is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, TAP Miles & Go Gold
Posts: 851
I'm with wakesetter93, I'd cancel. The floods look terrible. I feel so sorry for the Venetians and anyone already there having to cope with the flooding. I think the hotel may well appreciate it if you don't turn up. It must be bad enough dealing with customers already there.
TGLoyalty likes this.
AJA_ is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Strangely there is no general BA advisory for VCE at the moment.
Well, the flights are running, the airport is open, and VCE serves a large area apart from the city itself. BA Holiday packages staying in the city aside, I don't see why BA should take the hit financially for letting people cancel/rebook when LON-VCE flights are operating as normal. That's what travel insurance is for.
nancypants likes this.
shefgab is online now  
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:43 pm
  #12  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,499
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
Well, the flights are running, the airport is open, and VCE serves a large area apart from the city itself. BA Holiday packages staying in the city aside, I don't see why BA should take the hit financially for letting people cancel/rebook when LON-VCE flights are operating as normal. That's what travel insurance is for.
It's not BA though... It's BA Holidays as per the OP.
TWCLAM likes this.
DYKWIA is online now  
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:48 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,441
If the city is struggling, they don't need additional people who consume food and water, get in the way, and might require rescue. Unless one is a trained first responder (and essentially invited to help), stay away. [Later they will want and need the tourist money, but not fight not.]
PUCCI GALORE and nancypants like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Up North.
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 173
Option is there to ditch Venice itself, but still use the flights, and look for a *very* last minute hotel deal somewhere close... Padua? Trieste?

You'd lose the money on the Venice hotel unless BA Holidays or your insurance are feeling particularly generous. But I guess it would depend on what you paid for the holiday in the first place, what the new hotel would cost, and your personal tolerance to these sums.

The weather would still probably be crap, but if I were faced with this situation I'd be tempted to wing it, hire a car, and have a little adventure!
T8191, rickg523 and nancypants like this.
TraumaDoc is offline  
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:11 pm
  #15  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,234
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc View Post
Option is there to ditch Venice itself, but still use the flights, and look for a *very* last minute hotel deal somewhere close... Padua? Trieste?
Great suggestion. Dolomites is another possibility, though I'd check the weather.
aztimm, nancypants and altabello like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: