Wiki Posts
Search

BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Hello,

After some advice. I have a BA Holiday offer to Venice for tomorrow. We are meant to be staying in the Ca’Segreado but they are currently not answering the phone.

Do you have guys have any suggestions?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Have you spoken to BA Holidays to see what options are available? It might be easier to consider what to do if you know the options.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Have you spoken to BA Holidays to see what options are available? It might be easier to consider what to do if you know the options.
Thanks I'm finding it difficult to get hold of someone at BA Holidays.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree, I think you should call the BA Holidays hotline number, in your documentation, since they will I am sure be up to date with the terrible flooding.

Strangely there is no general BA advisory for VCE at the moment.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I can't seem to find the number. Does anyone have it or able to PM it to be at all please?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
You can just call the normal blue/bronz/silver/gold number. There should be a menu option for BA holidays
xnetco likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have relatives in Venice right now. Something of a mess! Tables elevated on blocks, waiters in wellington boots etc.

Good luck to the OP.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/77881...climate-change

"Venice is on its knees," Mayor Luigi Brugnaro says as the lagoon city suffers through some of the worst flooding in its history. The highest tide in 50 years has brought seawater that is threatening monuments and works of art in the historic city.

With more than 85 percent of the city flooded, Brugnaro says the city is in a state of emergency and that he has asked Italy's government for help.

Water driven by strong winds and storms overwhelmed seawalls and smashed brick docks, shoving boats into streets and leaving parts of landmarks such as St. Mark's Basilica and La Fenice Opera House underwater. Although the crypt at St. Mark's has been flooded, a member of the management board tells Italian news agency ANSA the main concern is that water may have damaged the basilica's support columns.

altabello likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I think I'd bail on this trip. After spending 24 years in Louisiana I've learned not to mess with floods.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I'm with wakesetter93, I'd cancel. The floods look terrible. I feel so sorry for the Venetians and anyone already there having to cope with the flooding. I think the hotel may well appreciate it if you don't turn up. It must be bad enough dealing with customers already there.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Strangely there is no general BA advisory for VCE at the moment.
Well, the flights are running, the airport is open, and VCE serves a large area apart from the city itself. BA Holiday packages staying in the city aside, I don't see why BA should take the hit financially for letting people cancel/rebook when LON-VCE flights are operating as normal. That's what travel insurance is for.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by shefgab
Well, the flights are running, the airport is open, and VCE serves a large area apart from the city itself. BA Holiday packages staying in the city aside, I don't see why BA should take the hit financially for letting people cancel/rebook when LON-VCE flights are operating as normal. That's what travel insurance is for.
It's not BA though... It's BA Holidays as per the OP.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the city is struggling, they don't need additional people who consume food and water, get in the way, and might require rescue. Unless one is a trained first responder (and essentially invited to help), stay away. [Later they will want and need the tourist money, but not fight not.]
PUCCI GALORE and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Option is there to ditch Venice itself, but still use the flights, and look for a *very* last minute hotel deal somewhere close... Padua? Trieste?

You'd lose the money on the Venice hotel unless BA Holidays or your insurance are feeling particularly generous. But I guess it would depend on what you paid for the holiday in the first place, what the new hotel would cost, and your personal tolerance to these sums.

The weather would still probably be crap, but if I were faced with this situation I'd be tempted to wing it, hire a car, and have a little adventure!
T8191, rickg523 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Option is there to ditch Venice itself, but still use the flights, and look for a *very* last minute hotel deal somewhere close... Padua? Trieste?
Great suggestion. Dolomites is another possibility, though I'd check the weather.
aztimm, nancypants and altabello like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.