Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by xnetco
Thanks. Do you think BA Holidays should refund my hotel now?
I would give them a call. The following has been posted to the www.gov.uk website. It wasn't there two days ago but I think it's fair to say that you took the right decision not to travel to Venice. Have you got travel insurance? Have you checked what they say as you might be able to claim off that too.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

There has been flooding in parts of Venice, caused by seasonal high waters and heavy rainfall. Other parts of northern and central Italy have also been affected. Further strong winds, heavy rainfall and storms are forecast from Friday 15 November into the weekend. The Italian Civil Protection Department has issued a red weather warning for the Veneto region, including the city of Venice. If you’re in affected areas, you should monitor weather updates and follow the advice of local authorities. If you’re due to travel, you may wish to check with your tour operator or accommodation provider for updates on individual travel plans.

High waters known as “acqua alta” are a common occurrence in Venice during the winter months and can cause flooding in parts of the city. See Flooding
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Only if the hotel is closed to guests, but it won't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I do. And in addition to the other places mentioned, make a day trip to Mantova. Another gorgeous city.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Gone to Verona. Thanks for the advice.
Unless the hotel was closed when you were due to arrive then no I don't think they will. It was your choice to change your plans.

Might havebeen dofefrent if you had contacts BA Holidys and asked about switching hotels.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
Short of disposing money of questionable origin why would you go to San Marino?
I loved San Marino, been twice now. Great topography, although in the summer it can be overrun with Russian daytrippers. I stayed the night a year years ago in March, and it was much more pleasant, had the city to ourselves.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes. Another idea would be Udine which is a lovely smaller city in northeastern Italy, IIRC about an hour from Trieste and the border. Good proscuito comes from a nearby rural area.
I was in Udine a few months ago - pleasant, but i'm not rushing to go back. Might as well carry on into Slovenia.
13901 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:52 pm

I cannot imagine anywhere more depressing than Udine on a wet, cold November s day.
Venice gets flooded nearly 100 days per year, the recent perfect storm tragic situation it is due to high tide and strong winds hitting the city not everywhere it is flooded and where it is usually soon afterwards the water recedes.
Venice during the Autumn, Winter has got it's own romantic, unusually empty charm..
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by 13901
Short of disposing money of questionable origin why would you go to San Marino?
Obviously to tick off a country and go get a passport stamp!!
13901 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
San Marino is in Schengen so no passport stamp when arriving from another Schengen country so no passport stamp.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:39 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
San Marino is in Schengen so no passport stamp when arriving from another Schengen country so no passport stamp.
Although you can buy one at the tourist office (like in Liechtenstein).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.