Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Offer to Venice Tomorrow. Do we go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would go, but skip Vinice as it is a damp city overrun by tourists. Make a loop see San Marino, Florence, and Bologna.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by armouredant
I think I'd be contacting my travel insurance if BA Holidays are saying it's fine.
Originally Posted by xnetco
They are saying it's not covered as it is an Act of God.
For insurance to kick in it generally needs a travel advisory from the Government of the country involved saying not to come,
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:59 am

I respectfully but strongly disagree with those who are encouraging the OP to go. The current situation is not remotely comparable to the other recurrent high tide situations or floods. The water level rose way above anything seen in the past few decades; it’s the worst flood since 1966. There is extensive damage to the city, its infrastructure and commercial activities (the government has just set up an emergency fund). A lot of hotels are still functioning but there is a large portion of all other commercial activities shut, plus all the work underway to repair the damages. Seriously, not a place where you’d want to be ok vacation right now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I would go, but skip Vinice as it is a damp city overrun by tourists. Make a loop see San Marino, Florence, and Bologna.
Florence is pretty far from Venice.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Short of disposing money of questionable origin why would you go to San Marino?
aristoph likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Florence is pretty far from Venice.
It's only a couple of hours on the train.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:22 pm

I have a friend who lived in Udine and it's a lovely place, you can also get there directly from Mestre. Well worth going to Palmanova too which is on the train:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmanova
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So, apart from Italian tourism advice from here, do we know what xnetco is doing?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I have a friend who lived in Udine and it's a lovely place, you can also get there directly from Mestre. Well worth going to Palmanova too which is on the train:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmanova
I suggested Udine upthread, in post # 28.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Another option would be one of the agritourism winery establishments in Goriška Brda, just across the border in Slovenia. It's not been called the Tuscany of Slovenia for nothing - and the skin-contact fermentation orange wines made from the locally favoured rebula grape are delicious.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
So, apart from Italian tourism advice from here, do we know what xnetco is doing?
Gone to Verona. Thanks for the advice.
DYKWIA, seanp7, PETER01 and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Verona is awesome, you will love it. So many great things to see. A spectacular arena right in the centre of town where they hold operas and other concerts, the gorgeous Basilica, Castel San Pietro and the wonderful roman forum just below, even the Casa di Giulietta, which is normally not my kind of thing, was well worth seeing. Take a romantic pic on the balcony with your sweetie but walking through the house was very interesting as well.

Last edited by Finkface; Nov 14, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by klmml
Another option would be one of the agritourism winery establishments in Goriška Brda, just across the border in Slovenia. It's not been called the Tuscany of Slovenia for nothing - and the skin-contact fermentation orange wines made from the locally favoured rebula grape are delicious.
Be careful about crossing the border. When I was last in this region, my rental car contract was very explicit about this: it is forbidden to take the car into Slovenia and doing so invalidates any insurance coverage.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Thanks for updating us on what you decided to do. I think you made a good call, there is a breaking news report on Sky that Venice is flooded again with another exceptionally high tide this morning.

The high tide in Venice has peaked at 154cm (5ft), with around 70% of the city centre under water.
The tide peaked at 11.26am local time in Punta della Salute.
Earlier, authorities predicted the high tide would peak at 160cm (5.2ft) - far beyond the emergency levels that sets off sirens in the streets.
The waters also reached 149cm (4.8ft) in Burano and 146cm (4.7ft) in Chioggia.
The city saw the second-worst flooding on record on Tuesday when the water level reached 187cm (6.14ft) - just short of the 194cm seen in 1966.

https://news.sky.com/story/venice-fl...-tide-11861776

A complete contrast to when I visited in mid August. My sympathies to Venice and everyone there at the moment. It's just awful.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you think BA Holidays should refund my hotel now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.