Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Upgrade for £704 Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
problem is once you go first you will never appreciate J lol
That is maybe true for airlines like LX/LH. I fly F on those regularly, and can't go back to J.

BA is a different animal. I used to fly mostly F when I was on BA, then had a trip in J after which I decided I was better off in J (albeit on the 747 upper deck as far as possible). If BA had the kind of ground service LH/LX offer (ie not having to get on a bus to/from T3, proper transfer security for F pax etc) then I would consider it worth it. I have lower expectations and am generally impressed, instead of having high expectations and being disappointed.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
For me, the relative value of the three steps up between the BA long-haul cabins falls as follows:
WT-WTP: medium (distinctly more comfortable and better service)
WTP-CW: large (mainly due to the flat bed)
CW-F: small (everything a bit better, but nothing fundamentally different to CW)

To put a monetary value on each step needs the oft-discussed subjective judgement about what the money is worth, what else you could do with it, etc.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
Originally Posted by JCC87
the difference was only £250....... I would have to pay £704.
for me this answers the question! Sounds like the upgrade is worth £250, so why pay £704?! apologies if I have missed something obvious here?!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Giblets
for me this answers the question! Sounds like the upgrade is worth £250, so why pay £704?! apologies if I have missed something obvious here?!
Probably fare buckets.
i.e. The £250 was from J to F; the holiday booking from K to F (made up but I don't know the exact ones, and K is PE?), with the J bucket being a more flexible and costly fare in the first place, thus a smaller price differential between that and F.

£250 I might have jumped at, but not £700+
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
While not worth £700 in and of itself, the refurbished JL F lounge is very nice indeed.
I may be the only one who finds it painfully boring except for the sushi bar (I like the sushi bar especially as I tend to score chu-toro)

It's spacious and now quite quiet before the revised BA departure time (c. 13:00)
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It’s not about it being a holiday booking, it’s about you having booked your ticket and wanting to change it. Except for promotional upgrade offers, it means paying the change fee etc.
I was fortunate in that I was booked on a 001 stock ticket, so all I had to do was call AA and request an up fare. AA only charge the fare difference on an up fare, so no change fee involved, even when on BA metal.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Definitely would not upgrade on BA for that price even though it's within my means. However, as others have stated, on another airline might consider it - Emirates, Lufthansa, Swiss and Singapore. I'm always on the lookout for good F deals but not at that price.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:32 pm

Maybe I missed it, but no one asked what OP paid for J. That's an important consideration as to whether the F upgrade it worth it.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ibmman69
Maybe I missed it, but no one asked what OP paid for J. That's an important consideration as to whether the F upgrade it worth it.
I don't get this argument. Whether they paid a lot or a little for their ticket, the price to upgrade is the same for the same additional benefits. How does it make any difference?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Doesn’t worth it for sure. The difference between CW and F is very small. Also BA F is like Eva air J or SQ J. Not a competitive product.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
From my past first experience (I fly long haul business for pleasure 2-3 returns a year)

£200 ew it’s a no brainer snap their hand off

£400 is around my ceiling

£700 I’d pass

but if it’s really your only chance in the foreseeable future go for it as it could be years until you get another chance (or get an AMEX BAPP spend £10k in a year churn a few other cards and redeem some first class flights next year)
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
Doesn’t worth it for sure. The difference between CW and F is very small. Also BA F is like Eva air J or SQ J. Not a competitive product.
As someone who is 6’ 3 and flown a lot of SQ J (have done A350, A380 and B77W), give me BA F over that any day. SQ J is just not designed for tall people
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
problem is once you go first you will never appreciate J lol
I said exact same thing to my son while sitting in Club class
Amil likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
As someone who is 6’ 3 and flown a lot of SQ J (have done A350, A380 and B77W), give me BA F over that any day. SQ J is just not designed for tall people
Totally agreed. It feels short even to me - and I'm hardly tall!

They are wide, spacious seats, and comfortable to sit on, but reclining and bed config is a major problem.

I've flown on all of SQ configs, and they are also not good for people with bad back, unless regional config or the bulkhead. I still cannot figure out why they had to design a seat that requires you to twist when you are reclined (because there is no legroom if you are sitting straight). Those fold-down beds are problematic too... I expected that long haul seats on new deliveries would be better, but they stuck to the old ones

On the other hand, regional config would be bad (worse) for tall people, and also poor for wide people, I suspect (I am neither, but I can see the problem, and it 'feels' short even to me).

I often jump on SQ J very shortly after a BA flight in F or vice versa. No comparison, I'm afraid, no matter what people say.
(I'm far from a SQ basher. I really quite like them, but their non-regional J seats* and the lack of F on my main route frustrate the hell out of me)
*I only cope with those because I can get the bulkhead seat most of the time as PPS, and I deliberately book flights with bulkhead seats or regional config

In case anyone is wondering, their new regional config seats are flat beds, not like CX regional config.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 13, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ung1
That is maybe true for airlines like LX/LH. I fly F on those regularly, and can't go back to J.

BA is a different animal. I used to fly mostly F when I was on BA, then had a trip in J after which I decided I was better off in J (albeit on the 747 upper deck as far as possible). If BA had the kind of ground service LH/LX offer (ie not having to get on a bus to/from T3, proper transfer security for F pax etc) then I would consider it worth it. I have lower expectations and am generally impressed, instead of having high expectations and being disappointed.

Dont get me wrong I try to only fly F with LH. But the CW seat is terrible. At least F for BA is a more comfy bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.